X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spagington
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006

Critter vs HVLP

I have a 6gal PC pancake compressor that I am looking to get an HVLP sprayer for. I was leaning towards the HF model, but then saw some threads referring to the critter sprayer. It doesn't look like the critter is a true HVLP sprayer, but a lot of people seem to give it very high marks.

What is the difference?

Additionally, I was thinking about getting a secondary air tank for my compressor to minimize the on time of the compressor. Is there any reason why I should not do this? How much would it help?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by spagington
    I have a 6gal PC pancake compressor that I am looking to get an HVLP sprayer for. I was leaning towards the HF model, but then saw some threads referring to the critter sprayer. It doesn't look like the critter is a true HVLP sprayer, but a lot of people seem to give it very high marks.

What is the difference?

Additionally, I was thinking about getting a secondary air tank for my compressor to minimize the on time of the compressor. Is there any reason why I should not do this? How much would it help?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Discussion about extra tanks in this thread
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=26814

HLVP needs too much air volume for a pancake compressor.
    Critter is a low cost sprayer. Do a search for Critter and see other discussions.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• newood2
      • Aug 2004
      • Brooklyn, NY.
      • BT3100-1

I use the Wagner HVLP Conversion Gun , works great with the PC 2.6cfm 6gal pancake.
      The Critter is good for small touch-up jobs, but will work fine with the 6gal.
      Most other HVLP sprayer need a compressor rated from 6 to 15 cfm
      Lots of thread on here about that, try doing a search.

Howie

Comment

• SwingKing
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.
        • BT3100

I have both the critter and a HF stand-alone HVLP setup. The critter is nice for spraying paint (which my HVLP won't do) but I wouldn't use for spraying shellac or poly. The spray pattern on my critter is somewhat uneven and I usually have to do two coats of thinned latex paint to make sure I get everything covered well.

-- Ken

Comment

Working...