Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

KP Blocks for Bessey K-body clamps

Anybody use these?
    $23 a set of four, looks like a 10 minute job with a table saw.
    Is there a reason they need two slots per direction as opposed to one slot?
    If I build some I'd make one slot for bessey and one slot for Jorgy Cab-masters (if the thickness of the bar is different)... I have a mix.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I have 4 that came as part of a Bessey clamp set a few years ago. I used them a couple times, they're nothing special. I definitely wouldn't spend money on them.

And yes - you could make them yourself for under a buck each. Rip a groove down the middle of a 4x4, chop it down into square blocks, then plow another groove at 90degrees into each block.
    -Joe

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Saw your post earlier, meant to reply, forgot.

I agree with Joe: make your own, no way these things are worth what they cost if bought alone. (I have about four sets, all included "free" with clamp sets.)

I think you could make the slots large enough to accommodate whichever brand has the larger bar. The idea is just to hold your clamps in position into you can get your hands on them; if they move around in the slots just a little, no biggie.

No idea why there are two slots in each direction.

These blocks work best if you have a lot of repetitive work of the same approximate size, such as making a boatload of cabinet doors, and can screw them to a backer board to maintain their layout. That's the way they're really intended to be used. If you use them loose, they're more aggravating than they are helpful.
      Last edited by LarryG; 01-19-2007, 04:12 PM.
      Larry

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Loring, I made four of these myself, but haven't used them much recently. So, bear with the foggy memory.

I, too, have a mix of Bessey and CM, and I think I made the blocks to fit the CMs. I don't recall if there's too much slop in the grooves when using the Besseys -- you can always put in a little shim.

I only made two slots per block, not 4 like the KPs. I think the issue is that you may want to have slots close to the edges of the blocks, as this dictates how close to the edge of your work the clamp face can get.

If you're going to make your blocks symmetric, with only two slots, then the blocks may end up a little too narrow [that is, if you want your slots/clamps really close to the edge]. So, [if you want larger footprint blocks] either don't make your blocks symmetric (slots closer to one edge), or cut two more slots like the KPs.

[edit: added note for clarity in last paragraph]
        Regards,
        Tom
        Last edited by Tom Miller; 01-19-2007, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Miller
          I think the issue is that you may want to have slots close to the edges of the blocks, as this dictates how close to the edge of your work the clamp face can get.
          Ah, THAT'S why the Bessey blocks have two slots each way. Note that one set is deeper than the other. Having two slots on each axis allows the clamp to be used at any of the four corners, oriented either way, and still get the clamp out close to the edges of the work being clamped.
          Larry

Comment

Working...