• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zootroy
    Established Member
    • Oct 2005
    • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

Eye Protection Recommendation

I have been wearing my prescription glasses for eye protection while in the shop. I am going in for lasik next week, so, I will either need a new pair of prescription glasses or none at all. I was wondering if someone could recommend a good pair of safety glasses. I don't want to wear a full face mask. I want a pair that will offer good protection and not fog while I am wearing a dust mask.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

Eye Armor (tm). They work over eyeglasses, too.
    Let us know how the Lasik works out - I've been interested, but scared.

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Originally posted by final_t
      Eye Armor (tm). They work over eyeglasses, too.
      Let us know how the Lasik works out - I've been interested, but scared.
      I'm interested, too, but broke.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• dlminehart
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • San Jose, CA, USA.

I'm interested, but willing to let others do the long-term-effects testing for me.
        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Ryan G
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2005
          • Charleston, SC.

Lasik

I had Lasik about four years ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done. At that time the going rate was still around $3K for both, which was fairly steep for a 25 year old. I think prices have gone down quite a bit since then. Prior to the Lasik, I had really poor vision, meaning if someone was sitting across the table from me, I couldn't tell who it was. The Lasik was completely painless and I had most of my vision back that same evening. The next morning I woke up and was amazed. Since then, my vision was about 20/15 for the first three years (better than I was able to get with glasses/contacts) and now its about 20/20. At the time I had it done, my vision had not yet stablized so some degradation was expected. The only drawbacks were having to use eyedrops for awhile and seeing slight "halos" around lights at night. These either went away or I just don't notice them anymore. For me, being able to waterski/wakeboard, go in the ocean/pool, play sports, etc. and not have to worry about my contacts has been priceless! I highly recommend it to anyone considering it.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

The stock glasses from the BORG work fine for me. They've saved me more than once. I used to use a full face shield but if you are working in hot weather, the sweat pools on the bottom and drips on your work.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JamesDad
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006

special safety glasses

I don't know too much about the procedure you're talking about. If you
              will still need help reading small print they make safety glasses that have a
              small magnifyer built in. I have a pair and they work pretty well for me.

KL

Comment

• scorrpio
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I personally prefer the close fitting wrap-around kind. The ones I got from HD cost like $7, and they conform to my face pretty well. A recent article in one of the woodworking magazines, however, advocates having multiple forms of protection. Working with saws, routers, glasses are adequate. Working with sanders that produce fine dust, use goggles that seal to the face. For chemicals, sprays etc, an integrated full-face respirator. And for things like turning, a face shield. However, face shields should always be used WITH glasses or goggles - there were cases when a chunk flew in from underneath, bounced, and hit an eye.

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

I had PRK about 2 1/2 years ago and it's the best thing that I've ever done for myself. PRK is very similar to LASIK, but PRK is more invasive and has a longer recovery. My vision was very bad (worse than 20/400) before the procedure. When squinting, I could barely read my alarm clock with 2" tall numbers before the procedure - now I can read it from the other end of the house. It really improved my life. My brother had LASIK done a few months ago, and it's been great for him too.

Using a good eye surgeon is a must. Do some research and find out who other doctors, athletes, pilots, etc. are using and make sure that you go to someone that is very good and experienced. Do not go to the places that offer laser eye surgery and laser hair removal (from the same facility) in the newspaper. If your going to do it, it's worth spending a little bit extra to make sure that it gets done right. You only get issued two eyes.

Good luck.
                  Bill

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                    • Nov 2004
                    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                    • Delta Contractor Saw

The problem some of us run in to is that our vision changes during the day so those procedures won't work. I have different goggles with different correcting strengths.

Comment

• zootroy
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

Thanks guys,

I will look into all of these suggestions. I did spend time doing research on the lasik and I found a dr. that is well established and has a good history. I am going under the laser on Wednesday. Hopefully this will be the end of glasses for me. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again,
                      Jason

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

I have found that light weight poly carb lenses that are of the wrap around style and straight ear pieces have been comfortable and offer good protection. I've not been able to wear them for a few years though 'cause like many I've reached the age where my vision must need correction.

Smith and Wesson is at least one brand but there are many. I think the last pair I bought came from a welding supply store. If your local welding supply store doubles as a Safety Supply store it might be a good place to look.

Good luck with the Lasik!
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

I've got a few different types of protective eyewear that fit over glasses/magnifiers. Ones with the perforated sides are less fogable (is that a word?). The wrap around don't really don't fit me tight enough to the face to get foggy. My face shield is the flip up type, and I must say that between wearing glasses and/or face shield, I have been saved many times. If I had to wear one or the other, it would be the face shield.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• Curly Qsawn
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

If I don't break another tooth and there is a little left in the flex account this year I intend to try a Wiley-x (Wiley-x.com) with my progressive prescription. My regular glasses just aren't comfortable enough.

Comment

• James Duxbury

I have so many scratches and spatters on my face shield that I would be afraid to use many tools like the router or lathe without it. It's like the seat belt you get use to it and $15.00 to protect your whole face is hard to beat.
                              I wear glasses too though. My eyes are not too bad yet. The surgery sounds like a great option. Someday

Comment

Working...