• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Qs About Several Small HF Items

I'm trying to scare up a sufficient excuse to make the drive to the nearest HF store, some 65 miles distant. Does anyone have any experience with:

92527 18pc T-handle hex key set
    37861 10pc color-coded T-handle hex key set
    37862 10pc color-coded T-handle hex key set, metric sizes
    93143 O-ring storehouse

Also, how's the quality of the steel used for the various Pittsburgh screwdriver sets?
    Larry
  • linear
    • May 2004
    • DeSoto, KS, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

I own one of the dirt cheap T-handle hex key sets, as well as one of the standard ones with the 90 degree bend. Neither are tools I use every day, but the low cost made them good deals for me. In particular that purple handled one (3.0mm?) is kept by my band saw to turn the set screws that hold my cool blocks, so it gets 1000x more use than the rest put together. It's held up well, the T-handle is sizeable and gives good leverage, and the shaft is long enough that it works well even in that tight spot. It's far easier than using a bent one at least.

I avoided buying the Pitt screwdriver set, mainly because they had a Great Neck set right next to it that looked way more comfortable to hold. I bought that and have been satisfied (I don't want to admit how long I agonized over that 6 dollar purchase, but then again I shouldn't really have to explain to this audience).

I'm probably headed down HF way later today, but it's a mile from work for me.
    --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• jziegler
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Salem, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I have teh 10 pc color coded hex key set, and it's alright. They are nicer than the standard l shaped ones, but I kinda wish that I had waited for a ball end set.

I have no experience with any of the others.

I'm considering a run to HF (1/2 mile out of my way on the way home from work) to grab a few things...

Jim

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I have both the 37861 & 37862 sets and they're just fine for the use I give them. I would imagine that the 92527 set should be the same quality wise as the other sets.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have both the 10-pc t-handle hex key sets and don't have any complaints but don't use them that often...
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MilDoc

I have the T-handle sets also, English and metric. Love them. No problems, easy to turn, fairly long. And cheap!

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I work at HF and haven't seen any rerturned or broken. The pittsberg brand looks to be the better buy. The finish is better on any of there brand.
              Wayne
              Wayne J

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LarryG
                I'm trying to scare up a sufficient excuse to make the drive to the nearest HF store, some 65 miles distant. Does anyone have any experience with:

37861 10pc color-coded T-handle hex key set
                37862 10pc color-coded T-handle hex key set, metric sizes

Also, how's the quality of the steel used for the various Pittsburgh screwdriver sets?
                Bought both of above today. They are on sale for $3.99 each in the stores. I have used only one of them today and it worked fine, however it was just to take the guard off the jointer. Ooops. Should I have said that?
                I like having the T-Handles and having them in the stand. Much easier than going through the drawer full I have of them.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Thanks, everyone. I was thinking I'd get the SAE set for general shop use, and the metric set for my bicycle tool set. At $3.99/set I figured I couldn't go TOO far wrong; then again, HF does have a few stinkers in their lineup and there's no point in wasting eight bucks if the hex keys were junk.

I think I've got a long enough list assembled now to justify the gasoline ...
                  Larry

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

I have 2 sets of both 10 piece sets.

I have a set of the 37861 & 37862 with me in Japan, And a set at my home in the US. I have had my set here since 2001 and it is good and solid for home/small shop use. I put some force on some and I have not been disappointed. I have stripped quite a few heads and allen wrenches over the years, but so far I haven't had any problems with these. The T handle allows me to use enough force to keep it from camming out on extra tight situations.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stormbringer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Floral Park, NY
                      • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by LarryG
                      Larry,

I bought four sets of the 6pc Pittsburgh screwdriver set when they were on sale for $.99 (I think regular price was along the lines of $8.99). A set for the car, office desk at work, junk drawer in the kitchen and for the basement shop. (The real screwdrivers are locked away in the rollar cabinets in the garage).

These are black handle, chrome shank, with a grey magnetic tip. Well worth the sale price I paid but the lowest I've seen them since is $4.99.

EDIT: Back to your question. Quality is decent. They have held up well for typical around the house screwing Out of the 24 I stripped one (not the tip but the shank in the handle) when I applied way too much force once. Price aside, I would rate these particular ones a healthy 7 out of 10 (lose a point for plastic handle, gain a point for the magnetic tip)

Greg
                      Last edited by Stormbringer; 01-18-2007, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

I forgot to add in my post above that I also have the "O" ring set and it sure in handy. Beats having to run the the local store for a single O-ring. Well worth it.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

I have both of the cheaper hex sets with T handles and they work fine for me. I find the fold up sets more handy, however. I also keep a couple of the cheap $1 orange handles screwdrivers on the BT3100 (one phillips, one straight). I have the largest straight one on the wall. All the screwdrivers have been better than I expected. The tips are pretty hard and seem to be ground accurately. The handles are a bit small but because they are square I still get pretty good torque.

Jim

Comment

Working...