• Show
Clear All
  • drunkcat
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Elgin IL
    • BTK

3 piece combo squares?

I am looking to purchase a Starrett combination square. All I have ever used is cheapies and have never had a 3 piece set. Do people find the sets useful or should I save my dough and just get the combo square?

Thanks!
    Scott
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I have four "cheap" squares and now own a Starrett that I bought in bits and pieces on eBay. The Starrett and a cheap combo square with a plastic head are square. All three of the other cheapies, all with metal heads, are not.

The Starretts are expensive, but if you need accuracy, they're worth it.

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

By "three piece set," I presume you mean a standard combination square plus the center-finding and protractor heads. So the short answer is, I think the usefulness of this rig depends on your individual needs and working habits.

Longer Answer:

Even woodworker needs at least one highly accurate adjustable square, and the Starretts fill that bill. They're spendy, but worth it.

Re: the protractor head, I find that sliding bevel gauges satisfy my own needs, most of the time; I typically need some particular angle but don't necessarily need to know the degree value of that angle.

Re: the center-finding head, this strikes me as the least useful part for most folks, and in any case you can buy plastic center-finders for like three bucks that do the same job.

I have a cheapie Stanley 12" combo square, bought 30-odd years ago when I worked as a carpenter; it's quite accurate despite what little I paid for it. I used this exclusively until sometime during the last couple of years, when I finally persuaded myself to spend ~$50 on a 6" Starrett double square. It instantly became my favorite hand tool ... just the right size, feels great to hold, slips right into a pocket of my nail bags. It doesn't have the 45deg side of a combo square but I don't miss that at all.

I've been intending to buy a 12" Starrett combo square to replace the cheap Stanley, and one of these days I'll probably do it. But as rarely as I use the Stanley, I'm not sure I'd use a 12" Starrett combo often enough to justify the cost. If I do ever buy it, I'll get the basic square only, and not the two other heads.

You might want to think about whether one of the smaller double squares would work for you. I like the narrower, candy-bar-shaped head on my 6" double square a lot better than the bulkier triangular head on a combo square.
      Last edited by LarryG; 01-12-2007, 11:11 AM.
      Larry

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I have a older Craftsman from the 50's that no one is sure who made it (General and Starret are the two most thought). My older ones were fine for rough carpentry, and I had one that was decent for finish carpentry, but not anywhere near as nice as my new one (ebay/estate sale). The protractor is good for layout work, but I too use a bevel gauge, and just yesterday purchased a HF protractor, to use for repeat angles (found out I missed a couple boards before, don't work tired).
        I still am in more of the carpentry, around the house type of project, but as I get better (projects finished/practice/more time for fine furniture), I think it will be a worthwhile investment.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a starrett set I bought used on eBay for about $60 (new they run around $120+).

I guess I use them infrequently (both the protractor and the centerfinder). but its nice to have a set you can trust.
          I do have other protractors and centerfinders. I suppose if it didn't have them I wouldn't miss too much. But then the tool collector in me says what a nice thing to have.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I have a Starrett 12" combo that I use infrequently because of its size (kinda big). I do use it for occassional gut checks.

I also have a 6" combo I purchased on eBay for about $13. The materials are of high quality (hardened steel head and rule). It wasn't perfectly square when I received it, though.

Tuning a combo is easy, they are very simple devices. During machining of the head they leave two raised "ridges" that the rule slides on. You can adjust these ridges using a thin diamond file.

I used a credit card sized diamond sharpening plate (the edges on mine are diamond coated) and slid that back and forth to adjust the head. I did this while watching my kid's softball game. Plenty of light outside, and I was able to use three different, known-good squares and triangles to check my progress.

When I was done it was every bit as accurate as my Starrett, and I use it CONSTANTLY. The small size is great for machine setup.

If you want a cheap but good sqaure, just buy one that has hardened steel components and true it yourself!

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I first got a Grizzly set that included a 3-head square, a dial caliper and a micrometer. Later, I managed to snipe a Starrett combo set off ebay for around $20 - the seller misspelt the listing, and it got a lot less attention than it should have.

While I love the Starrett, I find no faults in the Grizzly as well. It is very well made - hardened steel, etched markings and all that. Dead square. One gripe is that Griz protractor head is a pain to get on the rule - Starrett is way better in that regard. The centerfinder head, I don't use as often for its real purpose - but it makes an excellent saddle square.

Comment

• Holbren
                • Oct 2004
                • Heathrow, FL.

I have some coming that are made in England and use a cast iron body that is supposed to be machined very accurately. If you wanted to be the first user I'll sell you one cheap with full return priveledge if you would give your feedback.
                Brian
                Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                www.holbren.com

Comment

• drunkcat
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Elgin IL
                  • BTK

Brian,

I sent you a PM. Thanks

Scott

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by Holbren
                    I have some coming that are made in England and use a cast iron body that is supposed to be machined very accurately. If you wanted to be the first user I'll sell you one cheap with full return priveledge if you would give your feedback.
                    What size(s) are you getting?

Comment

• Holbren
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Heathrow, FL.

The combination squares are 6" and 12". The 3 head combo square set is 12" with a stainless rule. The 3 head one may not be equal in quality to the others so I'll have to advise more when I receive them. I ordered a couple of each to try them out and don't have any picks yet.
                      Brian
                      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      www.holbren.com

Comment

• gjat
                        • Nov 2005
                        • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                        • BT3100

I've found that spending $8 for a 12" plastic drafting square helped me a bunch. Using niki's method to square up my framing squares helped alot as well. Currently I have a drafting T-Square that I'm using for lay-outs on plywood. Considering that I used to think a store bought square was square, this was a big improvement.

What is the advantage of using a combo squares or buying better metal squares for us at the hobbiest level?

Comment

• scorrpio
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

A good combo square is an incredibly useful tool - you can't really fully explain its utility to someone who doesn't have one - you gotta start using it to really appreciate its versatility. If you own one but prefer something else - well, can't argue with other's tastes. But when I do any small-scale layout/measurement/marking, combo square sorta jumps into my hand by itself and feels like an extension of the hand.

There are, of course, some reservations - combo square must be good if it is to be of any use. Dead square, hardened steel, rule marks etched(not stamped) and easy to read, rule sliding easily but staying put when tightened.

Far as 'at the hobbyist level' comment... This is an extremely wide definition. "Hobby" does not indicate a certain level of skill - it simply means something done for personal enjoyment, not for income. And when it comes to outfitting for doing something you love, a lot of people pull no punches. My uncle bought a (used) Ferrari cause he is a hobbyist racer. Another relative of mine, a hobbyist photographer, owns around 50 grand worth of photo equipment, and uses it all a lot.
                          I'd say about only category of equipment that is not for a hobbyist is heavy-duty machinery geared for high-speed production.

Comment

Working...