What do you guys think about lithium batteries for drills (Makita BDF452HW)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006

What do you guys think about lithium batteries for drills (Makita BDF452HW)?

It’s time for me to get a new cordless drill. I want to get a pretty decent one. And I guess that puts me in the $150-200 range. The drill that has caught my eye is the black and white Makita BDF452HW. It’s 18V but really light and $200. Looks great. My only concern is the lifetime and cost of the lithium batteries. Will I need to be buying new batteries every 6 months? So I’m wondering if I should stick with a regular drill like a Makita 14.4 V or move to the lithium. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

You didn't mention whether you were a home owner/hobbyist or a tradesman. The latter would most likely use this tool everyday and therefore might better justify the cost.

But regardless, the lithium tools would no doubt cost a lot more. I haven't paid attention to the Ads but would think that you'd be hardpressed to keep under $200. Before I bought any cordless tool, I'd probably want to find out how much a replacement battery and/or charger is going to set me back.

My only experience with Li-ion batteries has been with laptop computers. Longevity has not been impressive and they are expensive to replace, especially when the computer gets old.

With power tools, all too often I've read where the batteries (any battery), cost almost as much as the tool did when it was new. Also, I've read far too many complaints about short battery life and charger failures, etc. I haven't read anything about Li-ion failures, but they are relatively new in the tool market.

I'm a homeowner/hobbyist, so battery replacement isn't going to set well with me and would be tough to justify if I needed to do this more than once every few years. So for me, the only real choice on the market was the Ridgid brand, with its Limited Lifetime Service Agreement which covers batteries, chargers, etc.

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JonW
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006

Thanks for the thoughts. I’m just a weekend hobby guy. So it’s for woodworking and general house stuff. I’ve gone through 2 cheap drills (batteries died), been getting more into woodworking, and I think it’s time to step up to something a little better. Like you said, replacing those old batteries would cost about as much as the drills did.

Yeah, my lithium battery experience has also only been with laptops. Could be better. So do I go with an older battery technology and a standard drill? Maybe, I guess. Hmmm…

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

I know it's a "cheap" drill, but I've never had any problems with my 18v Ryobi. I've been using the same 2 batteries for over 3 years and they are still strong. The drill does everything I throw at it and I can be rough on them at times.

Best part is the batteries are now $25 each or less at HD. And they fit a couple dozen tools now it seems like.

The impact driver is very popular now also.

I just can't see paying $200+ for just a drill that I use occasionally.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• MilDoc

Personally I love the lithium batteries. Lighter weight, hold their charge longer between uses, and seem to last longer. But they do cost more so I haven't replaced all my cordless tools that use older batteries, just bought newer ones with Li.

Comment

• Curly Qsawn
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2004
            • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

I'm drooling over that compact Makita too, but there are other tools I need more. Get it, you'll only cry once. BTW the larger li-on batteries will fit it.

Comment

• KLF
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2006
              • Barrington NH
              • BT3000 (of course)

I use my cordless drill a fair amount, and this past Fall my trusty Makita 12V drill would hardly hold a charge anymore, so it was time to upgrade. I did a lot of reading, talked to a guy at our local Ace that sold a lot of contractor grade tools and they also do factory repairs on most stuff. Like a lot of people, I was drawn to the Dewalts that you see at Homey Depot, but he convinced me to stick with Makita.

I ended up buying the 2-piece set LXT202, that also includes the impact driver. I love it. The batteries last an amazingly long time, and the drill, with all the cool features including hammer function, still weighs less than the 14.4V Dewalts. The impact driver is more useful than I ever imagined, very handy and sooo light.

I just bought the slightly smaller model that you speak of (BDF452HW) for my son for Christmas (his 12V Dewalt died, earlier than it should have IMO). Very very nice stuff.

The guy at the Ace store told me they kicked Dewalt out of their inventory, they won't sell it anymore. Too many returns, complaints about battery life, and the rep was too hard to get ahold of. It's obvious that they are only concerned with getting product flying off the shelf, very little about quality.

Comment

• JonW
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the thoughts. I have to say, I'm finding it nearly impossible to resist this lithium Makita drill. Maybe it's because I was a bit sore from Sunday's woodworking.

I swung by the store last night to pick up a few things. I, umm, just happen to wander by the tool aisle. That Makita is sooo much lighter than everything else there. And it's time for me to step up to a better quality drill. From many recommendations, I'll probably go with Makita. The comparable "regular" Makita is 14.4 V, comes with 1 battery (I think), is heavier, and is $180. The lithium one is only $20 more and has 2 batteries. The "regular" battery replacements aren't cheap- something in the $60-80 range. The lithium replacements look to be about $80-100 online. Overall, the price premium for the lithium battery doesn't look too bad. Unless the lithium batteries need replacing much more frequently. I haven't found too much info in that regard.

I'm this close [holding fingers together] to getting it.

Comment

• jseklund
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2006

Personally, I have two Dewalt drills. A 18V drill/driver and a 14.4V Hammer Drill/Driver. The Hammer Drill is newer, but I've had the 18V for about 3 years now, and it's been outstanding. I don't have one bad thing to say about the battery. I've never really had a problem because I have an 18V sawsall and two 18V batteries. If One battery dies, I throw it on the charger and grab the second. I've never used both tools enough to stop me from working.

I'm also a little strange as I don't mind the weight of the 18V drills, as long as they're balanced well. Having said that-

Most people speak very highly of the Lithium tools coming out. I haven't bought in, but again- I don't put a lot of stock in the weight of an 18V being a problem. Maybe in 10 years I'll realize the error of my ways, but at 27, it doesn't bother me.

If the weight is an issue, and the price premium is what you say- I'd get it. I think people worry just a *little* too much about batteries. Get what you are happy with.
                  F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• jenielsen
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2004
                    • West Michigan
                    • BT31000

Reviving this thread from the dead to see if there are any of you out there that have purchased this drill yet. If the information is positive, I may ask for this for father's day...

Comment

• mikel
                      Established Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • philadelphia
                      • bt 3100

I love my makita's but the cheap replacement batts suck. The real ones lasted so long. I am deffinatly buying Li On batts and a small imapact. I love that little bosch. 10.3 Li On and it's coming in impact. I can't wait...

...mikel

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                        • Dec 2006
                        • hagerstown, md

Hitachi have a new Li On one out at lowes for under 190. It's very light and I'd buy one in a heartbeat except they went with a baby poo yellow colour instead of the green. 5 yr warranty as usual with them.
                        パトリック
                        daiku woodworking
                        ^deshi^
                        neoshed

Comment

• RockyJohn
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Colorado Springs, CO, USA.
                          • BT 3100 'till the motor goes!

Sorry I couldn't post earlier - had ACL reconstruction surgery last week and just getting back into my routines.

I just got the Makita BDF452HW, the black and white one, from HD. I really, really like it. I have owned Dewalt, Porter Cable, Sears, and Makita cordless drills since I got the Dewalt in 1994 for my Air Force retirement gift. From 96 to 98 I used a small makita in an electronics job I had. Really liked the light weight and small size, so I bought a 12V single speed Makita from Sears in 1998. It was still my go-to-first drill until 2 weeks ago when I got the new one. Being retired military, I got it 10% off during Memorial Day weekend at HD. I also got a PC on sale in 2000, but the batteries aren't holding out, and it's heavy.

The lithium Ion batteries are great. The Makita drill only weighs 3.5 lbs (roughly) and is one of the most ergonomic tools I have ever held. It is just a joy to pick it up. The chuck is really nice, too. Good power, and the clutch works real well. I highly recommend this tool.
                          John Gleason
                          I'm 62 - Halfway to 124. That makes me Middle-Aged!

Comment

• jenielsen
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2004
                            • West Michigan
                            • BT31000

Thanks John...
                            Your information is extremely helpful.

PS- funny we're still "forum newbies"... Maybe in another year I'll have doubled my post count to yours!

Comment

• jenielsen
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2004
                              • West Michigan
                              • BT31000

Thought I would chip in a little more information on this drill (Makita BDF452HW).
                              I received it for Father's Day (thanks to my wife & little girl). I've used it a handful of times, and I have to say, "WOW". This thing is incredible....
                              Lightweight, small form factor, dead battery charge time of 15 minutes, added bonus of the white LED to light up your surface. And does it have POWER...

The only downfall I've found so far is it doesn't have a bit holder built in. They have one you can purchase as an accessory, but it's not included.

Anyway, I give high recommendations to this drill.

Comment

Working...