• Show
Clear All
  • Woodboy
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Lakewood, Colorado.
    • BT3100

Nailers and Compressors

Looking to acquire my first air tool – a pneumatic nailer(s). I would like to be able to brad small pieces of wood like Norm for glue-ups, but also will be doing some crown molding installation that would require a finish nailer. My compressor is the Craftsman “hotdog” type and is rated at 2.4 CFM and 125 psi. I know HF makes some very inexpensive nailers and I won’t be doing a lot of “rapid fire work”. Suggestions on nailers (cheap to pricey)? Can I get by with just one? Do I have enough horsepower with my little compressor?
    "Life is tough, where a cup"
    Dennis Miller
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

That compresser will certaily drive nails. Most of the nail power is stored in the hose and handle. You can probably fire away at will with the brad nailer and that compressor. Personally it sounds like you need two guns, an 18ga brad nailer and a 15 or 16 ga finish nailer (for the molding).

You might start with the brad nailer as these are relatively inexpensive.
    A PC, Bostich, Senco or other name brand will work well, I suggest 2" capability, not 1-1/4", for the most flexibility. A budget alternative is to get a HF 2" brad nailer, their popular 2" model goes on sale frequently for $19.99 and is very servicable according to most owners reporting here.

Avoid combo brad nailer/staplers - it may seem like getting two tools for the price of one but the striker leaves a large staple sized dent even when punching in nails so this is bad.

you'll enjoy the two-handed nailing with the brad nailer, like Norm, it solves many nailing problmes like holding the nail (with your third hand) and steadying the work while pounding on it and bending nails.

Just watch out for blowouts! sometimes under certain circumstances (usually involving wood grain) a nail will take a 90 degree turn and come out the side. On rare ocassions they take as much as 180 degree turn and coma back out the top! Make sure you don't hold the items being nailed within 3 inches or less from the gun!
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-03-2007, 05:05 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Good tips there from Loring.

I needed a compressor for a hardwood flooring project and bought the PC pancake compressor/18-ga brad nailer (1.25") combo. I estimated the number of days it would take me to complete the project X cost of renting a compressor and figured I'd actually even save a little in the end by just buying one even with the brad nailer (please note that I did not fudge the numbers ). The nailer turned out to be a nice little bonus!

I also bought a Bostitch 15-ga angled finish nailer (2.5") later for the base trim. A very nice tool! I was thinking of selling it on eBay after the projects are done, but decided to just keep it.

I have never experienced a single jam on either tool. Of course, I have not used the PC as much as I have the Bostitch (4 rooms worth of baseboards and quarter-rounds).
      The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

It doesn't take a high output to shoot brads or nails, just short bursts of air. I've still have my first compressor I ever bought (when I couldn't afford anything larger). It's a Speedaire 1/2 hp 7 gal tank, on wheels. Bought that in '70 or '71. Have made minimal repairs to it, and still use it to go on the job. It's light and does a great job. Not a high output workhorse like some of them today. In fact I don't think I've seen one with that small of a motor in a long time.

I also use it in the shop when the big one is down for any reason. So for fastening, those small pancake or hot dog compressors are fine. As for guns, I can't get my Senco's or Duo-Fast guns even fixed or serviced for the cost of a HF gun. If you maintain the gun correctly, there is a good chance it will exceed your expectations. I have a few of them and can't complain. Just bought the 18ga brad nailer, shoots 5/8" to 2", for under $20.00. Such a deal. I oil it daily sometimes more than once. I don't exceed 90 lbs psi, and keep the interior of the magazine clean. Keeping your airline as dry as possible keeps gunk out of the gun.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

just walking thru Lowes yesterday, I saw they had two, reg. $79 compressor combos on sale/clearance for $59. came with a brad nailer, some fittings and coiled hose, and a little 1 gal tank compressor. Ohm and 3000 nails, the box proudly claimed. So I gues that makes it like a 3006-piece set, ha.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...