Clear All
  • rcp612
    Established Member
    • May 2005
    • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
    • Bosch 4100-09

Grizzly router bits ?

Has anyone tried these bits? http://www.grizzly.com/products/C1392Z
    They seem to be a good price compared to others but, I don't just want price, I want value too!
    Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I have tried a couple of the Griz bits, and I like alot of the Grizzly products, but these fall into the category of not being as good of a value as others for the same or better price. They're "fine", but after shipping, it's just not worth it IMHO compared to Holbren, MLCS, Woodcraft, Woodline, or Price Cutter sale and everyday prices. The total deliverd price degrades the value alot, and they're certainly not on par with Whiteside, Freud, CMT, Infinity, Eagle, or Amana that merit a premium.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Holbren
      • Oct 2004
      • Heathrow, FL.

That's a lot of green for an imported reversible R&S bit. You can buy a pair of imported bits for much less. Or kick in a few bucks more and get one of the better sets.
      Brian
      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      www.holbren.com

Comment

• burrellski
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Saint Joseph, MO.

That's a lot of $$$ for what you're getting IMO. I have a round-over set and a straight set from Grizzly that I got on a clearance sale. I have been pleased with the quality for the price I paid, but I have to agree that they are no deal at their regular price. Woodcraft (on sale), Holbren, and MLCS is where most of my bits come from these days. I think you can do better than the Grizzly in this case. Holbren has a few different 3 piece sets (no messing around flipping cutters, plus a raised panel bit) for $60.

Whiteside router bits, Byrd shelix jointer and planer cutterheads, saw blades and other woodworking cutting tools from holbren.com

I own a small assortment of Holbren bits (no cabinet door set though, yet) and have found them to be a great value.

Matt
        Last edited by burrellski; 01-03-2007, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

The www.MLCSwoodworking.com
          has reversible R&S ogee bits for $45 with free shipping, half the price of the griz. I consider the MLCS bits to be of good quality for the money and their customer service above average, plus their free instructions they will send you with the order if your request it (or download from the web site for free).

Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

I have the dovetail set for the Incra LS Ultra Positioner. They work fine (they are new so don't know how they will perform after some use) with curly maple and tigerwood. I read a review on router bits (can't remember where) but the results were that Whiteside were the best (more costly, but quality is there). I think it depends on how much you will use them. If its alot, go for the Whiteside.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• lrr
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Fort Collins, Colorado
              • Ryobi BT-3100

I've got a number of Grizzly router bits, and they have performed well. But, I bought my boxed sets at Christmas time 2 years ago, and they were heavily discounted. I tend to think their individual bits are a little pricey, especially when compared to many of the higher end bits that get praised on this forum.

I've recently gotten a number of the $5 bits from Woodside, but have not really put them to test yet. I did buy a Woodcraft Antique Beading bit -- it was $25. I was amazed at how sharp it is. I could barely grab it to remove from the holder! I used it on purple heart yesterday, and it cut it beautifully.

I am anxious to try some higher end bits now when I need something special, now that I have many "standard use" bits in my inventory -- straight, roundover, cove, etc.
              Lee

Comment

• Holbren
                • Oct 2004
                • Heathrow, FL.

Actually Lee I usually tell people if they want to try the better bits buy your daily users because they'll last longer. The lower cost imported bits are good for that one project or to try something out. Or if you don't want to buy the more expensive ones of course.
                Brian
                Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                www.holbren.com

Comment

• lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by Holbren
                  Actually Lee I usually tell people if they want to try the better bits buy your daily users because they'll last longer. The lower cost imported bits are good for that one project or to try something out. Or if you don't want to buy the more expensive ones of course.
                  Holbren,

Yes, I agree, makes absolute sense. But I already have the cheaper ones! And like all my other investments in lower cost tools, I eventually replace them with higher quality, and give the cheap stuff to my son-in-law to get him something to use!

I have a couple Harbor Freight tools, like an angle grinder, bought exactly with your logic -- I do not use it much. Actually, my neighbor has logged 10 times as much time on it as I have.

Hmmm ... Cheap Tools = Loaners

(And good tools never leave the house!)

Lee

Comment

Working...