• Show
Clear All
  • ufg8r85
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Stuart Florida
    • bt3

Bandsaw Purchase Advice

I bought a 3 wheel Delta BS from FIL's neighbor, keeps breaking blades which is a common problem with this saw. I'm now in the market for a new saw. We've mainly used the saw for bandsaw boxes. Any advice for a good reliable saw that I plan on keeping a LONG time, price range up to 1,000.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • coach
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005
    • Forney, TX.
    • Powermatic 66

It's hard to beat the Craftsman 22401

I've had mine for about four months, and don't see any reason to ever get rid of it. I "might" get a get a larger saw for resawing in the far future, but I'll be keeping this 14" around.

I've been able to resaw 6" cedar and walnut to 1/32" with a 3/8" 4tpi. It is the blade that generally stays on the saw.

Mind, I don't do band saw boxes. However, as a hobbiest, I use that saw every day. It's my favorite power tool, and I've got a complete shop sans drum sander.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I own the same 14" craftsman, and I like it quite a lot. I've done resawing of hard maple, oak, curly maple, walnut, cherry, and lignum vitae, no troubles. I've also make bandsaw boxes with it. It's a very nice saw for the money, and won best value in a recent steel frame bandsaw review.

Other than that, for a bit more money you can get the Rikon suped up 14", which would have been my choice had I been able to afford one at the time. I'm happy with my craftsman though, it does a fine job.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Stan
        • Mar 2004
        • Kalispell, MT, USA.
        • BT3100, Delta 36-717

If you are in the 'up to $1000' range, the Grizzly G0513X 17" 2 HP Extreme Series would be hard to beat in my opinion. Even after shipping it comes in at $984.25.
        From the NW corner of Montana.
        http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• BrazosJake
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Benbrook, TX.
          • Emerson-built Craftsman

Originally posted by Stan
          If you are in the 'up to $1000' range, the Grizzly G0513X 17" 2 HP Extreme Series would be hard to beat in my opinion. Even after shipping it comes in at $984.25.
          Ditto that, with a huge exclamation point.

There's also a $100 off coupon, I think I saw from Wood Magazine, good until 12/31.

If I had $900 to spare, I'd be all over one of those puppies.

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

I have had the Jet JBS-14CS for several years and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you didn't need that much saw, the Griz G0555 is a nice, well equipped 14" saw that will take a riser or the Craftsman 14" sheet metal saw mentioned is also a candidate.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you didn't need that much saw, the Griz G0555 is a nice, well equipped 14" saw that will take a riser or the Craftsman 14" sheet metal saw mentioned is also a candidate. Both will leave you meny to sparefrom your $1000 budget. You have to think about what size projects you plan to work on!
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• onedash
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Maryland
                  • Craftsman 22124

i got the craftsman for Christmas....I haven't really had a chance to really abuse it or anything but its doing great on what I have used it for.
                  I was wondering if that super Rikon would be worth the money???Its still a 14" saw. Would you be better off with a larger (18") saw??? From what I gather most 14" saws can only take a 1/2 inch blade which limits your blade options..an 18" ought to be able to use a carbide blade too right?
                  Dont get me wrong...i like mine and dont know if i will ever need a bigger one...
                  Last edited by onedash; 12-28-2006, 10:06 AM.
                  YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Benbrook, TX.
                    • Emerson-built Craftsman

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    If you didn't need that much saw, the Griz G0555 is a nice, well equipped 14" saw that will take a riser or the Craftsman 14" sheet metal saw mentioned is also a candidate. Both will leave you meny to sparefrom your $1000 budget. You have to think about what size projects you plan to work on!
                    Guess that's true, if you're going to be cutting curves in thinner stock, a 14" will do nicely. I have the Ridid and cannot complain, but, if you're going to resaw thick stock, and I havent heard of a bandsaw owner yet who didn't get the urge, bigger is definitely better. That's why I'm starting my Laguna fund:-)

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

You can also get the Delta 14 inch saw under $1000. Seems like I've seen it with the open stand for around $600. The Delta is the saw that the HF, Grizzly and other cast frame 14 inch saws are patterned after. You can get accessory guides and other items that would be harder to find for the less "name brand" saws. I haven't decided to replace my wood frame 14 inch saw yet but when I do, the Delta will get a serious look.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ufg8r85
                        I bought a 3 wheel Delta BS from FIL's neighbor, keeps breaking blades which is a common problem with this saw. I'm now in the market for a new saw. We've mainly used the saw for bandsaw boxes. Any advice for a good reliable saw that I plan on keeping a LONG time, price range up to 1,000.

Thanks,
                        Steve
                        BTW, the three-wheel saws are especially bad for breaking blades
                        because of the relatively small radii over which the blades are bent, three times, at that, while running. Then bend ends up being sharper because the wheels are so small.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • SoCal, USA
                          • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Jim, the Delta has a different guide placement that is supposed to be better(closer to table)and is CI not alloy rather than than the Jet/Ridgid Taiwannese type that others use.
                          I would buy the Orion/sears sheet metal type after having a Ridgid w. riser.
                          Andrew

Comment

Working...