• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

HF Trailer

I am not sure if this is exactly a tool in the normal sense but that is what I think of it as so I will post it here. I used to carry boards on top of my SUV but recently had a nasty experience with the new (and expensive) roof rack for my 2006 Suzuki GV so I bought a little HF 4x8 trailer - the one with the 12 inch wheels. They had it on sale before Christmas and then also had a 15% off coupon which brought the total cost just over $200. I like the trailer and offer these "lessons learned" for those contemplating buying one of these trailers.

1) It comes in two boxes, one that is fairly small and light containing the wheels, lights, coupler, etc. and one around 5 feet long with the frame that is quite heavy. Fortunately I put the hitch carrier on my GV before I left and the long heavy box went on that. The shipping weight is over 200 lbs and most of that is in the one box so be prepared.

2) There are lots of parts and they go together mostly with 3/8 bolts with nylon locks in the nut. My son was helping and we put them together loosely at first which was good because we ended up redoing a few things. The instructions are decent but some things you just have to look closely at the pictures to get.

3) When things do not line up, loosen bolts and try shifting. We had to do this more than once.

4) Bolting on a plywood deck is perhaps the worst part. After I was done, I discovered a diagram in the directions that would have helped. I countersunk the bolts which also took more time. I tried marking with the plywood upside down but measuring on the second half sheet seemed to go better. If I was to do this again, I would bolt the whole sheet in place and then rip it down the center (with the blade carefully adjusted to the plywood thickness). It was a little challenging to get the second half sheet to align to my satisfaction.

5) If the hinges will not let the two halves of the trailer fold up tight, loosen the hinge bolts and try again.

6) When you stand this thing up, be ready for the weight. You first fold the back half of the trailer on the front and then pick up the front. You are thus lifting half of a 200 lb plus trailer. The directions say to have help which wouldn't be a bad idea. It also feels tippy in the upright position. The last step is to lower the tongue which helps stability.

7) You need something to hold the two halves folded when it's upright. I made a short piece that bolts to the stake pockets.

8) If you want to carry 4x8 sheet goods, do not make the wood sides the way the directions say. They say to put 2x pieces in the stake pockets and then bolt 3/4 thick pieces to that on the inside. That will result in less than 4x8 capacity. If you make the whole side rail structure of 2x but join it with half laps (or I used mortise and tenon on the top), you can keep just over 4x8 capacity. I cut the structure down to 1 1/8 so I can carry MDF or melamine which comes in 49x97 inch sheets.

Jim
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

Jim, putting anything together from HF is an adventure...

Luckily I do not have a problem hauling anything. I have an F250 SuperCab with an 8' bed and a 6.5'x12' Landscape trailer.

Comment

• beetee3
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • The Sunshine State

Nice write up Jim. I've been eyeballing one of those HF trailers for some time. Compact sedans don't make good plywood haulers Can you give me a guestimate of sizes of the two shipping boxes? Compact sedans don't make good box haulers either. Five foot lengths I can handle provided the other two dimentsion don't exceed ~14 inches. How sturdy is the trailer when fully assembled? Any concerns about taking it on the interstates (short distances)?

Comment

• ExYankee
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pleasant View, Tn.
        • BT3100-frankensaw

A bit over two years ago I bought the HF 90154 the 1175 lbs version of the trailer. And I agree on all points Jim made, particularly the need to NOT follow directions in order to get a full 4x8 sheet to lie flat. Of course, being an engineer I DID follow the directions and discovered the problem afterwards RATS. My solution was to screw 2 ft long pieces of 2x4 on the outside of the upper 2x4 and plywood sides and one in the front then make two joists across between the two sides to make an open deck and now sheet goods (including bigger MDFs) now sit flat on top and I stack dimensional lumber inside the box. As far as highway speeds I’ve had mine up to 70 hauling stuff , mostly ½ capacity but the other day I loaded 70 1x12 x 8’ which took it to the limit or a tad over and I took it easy on back roads max speed maybe 50 and when I got home the tire were warm but not hot and the bearing were cool so I’m real happy with it. We use it for dump runs, garage saleing fire wood hauling etc. I don’t have a pickup, just my ford Taurus, so it really comes in handy.
        I have never needed the fold up feature and if I were putting a second one together I would just weld the parts together because it does rattle a lot. I put a swinging wheeled jack on the front triangle so I can roll it around off the hitch. But in time the jack has twisted the steel member so I will swap it to the other side. For the price (and the 8 hrs it took me to put it together by myself) it’s quite a buy.
        John Dyer
        ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

The instructions say to keep the speed to no more than 55mph. U-haul says the same thing about their trailers. I would go more than 55 if I needed to. If I take it a long distance, I will get a spare tire but otherwise not worry about it, I think it will be fine. I would worry more about things coming out of the trailer than I would the trailer holding up.

The long box is small in cross section - maybe 10 inches by 4 inches or something. I would hessitate to put it on top of seats but if you have a way to put it through the trunk into the back seat area or something, it should work. The only thing I would be careful about is the weight - it is heavy. I lifted it by myself but I would not want to have to lift it into a trunk by myself. The whole frame for the trailer is in that box. The other box is bigger but lighter - maybe 18x18x12 inches (the wheels are the only heavy thing in that box).

The reason I fold mine up is to put it in my shop garage instead of outside. Our neighborhood doesn't like little trailers and I have no good space for it outside plus I think it will hold up better inside. I can push it back outside if it gets in the way (there are little castors that are operable when it is folded up).

I am turning the sides for the trailer into a little woodworking project. I am down to the last step. I will bolt the corners together using 5/16 x 3 1/2 inch bolts into square nuts in an arrangement kind of like bedbolts. I think I will make a little jig to rout the recesses for the square nuts. So far I have used 1/2x2 1/2 inch mortise and tenon joints for the top rail and half lap joints for the lower rail and tightbond 3 to join the pieces together. I rounded the edges with a 1/4 inch roundover bit after getting the equivalent of a paper cut this morning. Nothing real difficult but I figure a trailer for a woodworker is another chance to show I can do more than just bolt wood together. i may even belt sand them but I am still not thinking I will apply a finish - if I get bored later this week I may even do that.

I am an engineer too. Sometimes I read the instructions, sometimes I do not. I only follow them if it makes sense to me.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Seeing the title HF Trailer I had visions of watching a video short clip advance presentation of HF, The Movie!

Needless to say I was extremely disappointed.

But I'm wondering what the plot would have been, maybe something like "We Are Harbor-Freight" (about the man who lost all his tools in a shop fire, considered quitting, but didn't and had to put up with HF tools for a few years).

Or maybe "Harbor Freight: the Curse of the Chinese Manual".
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• vanguard
              Established Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Brighton, MI, USA.
              • Ridgid TS2400SL

Or maybe "Harbor Freight: the Curse of the Chinese Manual".
              NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo!

R)

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

JimD

You said in your post you used a hitch carrier. Is that the one that HF sells. I made a post in "Just Talking" with a picture. Would like an opinion if it's the same one.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

Cabinetman,

Yes, that is the hitch carrier I have. I put a couple of larger bolts in it when assembling it - there the platform attaches to the rectangular tubing that goes into your hitch. They looked small to me and I wanted carriage heads. I don't know that I really needed to make this minor mod but I did. My hitch is a class 3 but is only rated for 300 lbs on the tongue. I have kept the weight under 300 respecting the hitch which keeps the load well under the 500 lbs the carrier is rated. I have carried cement block for a retaining wall (would have used the trailer if I had it then) and the heavier box for the trailer on it so far with no issues. I had 200-300 lbs multiple times, in other words. My boat has a tongue weight around 200 lbs so loading up the hitch carrier the amount I have is not much different for the vehicle than towing the boat. I think the HF hitch carrier is pretty sturdy. I am sure that the steel is recycled and thus not real high grade but there seems to be plenty of it. If I had a welder, I would probably weld it up and make it a bit sturdier but I think it is fine - don't know about 500 lbs but for 200-300, mine seemed to not be very stressed.

Jim

Comment

Working...