X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff_1064
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006

Mortising Router Bit...

I am looking for a 1/2" dia router bit with a 1/2" shank that has at least a 2 1/2" - 4" cutting length... I need to make a deep mortis cut for a project I am working on.

Does anyone know where I could find something like this?

Jeff
  • eddy merckx
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Western WA
    • Shop Fox Cabinet

You can get a PC 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" double fluted bit at HD. It has really long shaft which allows you to reach to 2 1/2". You have to be really careful not to to tip the router with a bit that long or you'll make a huge divot in the side of your morise. I know this.

Also, you'll have to have a jig which allows you to start cutting with the stock a few inches below the base of the router. Those bit protrude way out of the base.

I used one to mortise some workbench legs last year. Worked pretty well.

Eddy

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Other than Eddys suggestion, I know of no source that offers a bit that wil cut that deep. I do a lot of mortices that run from 2" to 4". The generous cutting depth on my Shopfox morticer can handle that.

I also have done quite a few work-benchs for freinds with mortices that run deeper than 4", but they get pre-cut on the Shopfox and finished with a mortise chisel or I revert back to the days of no bench mortisers and just cut them by hand period. Really not that difficult, just takes a little more time and patience which is something that seems to be fading thoughts in our current state of thinking that a machine can do it quicker and better. :>)

Regards..

Comment

• jeff_1064
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2006

Thanks guys...I will try HD. I have a jig....the base of the router is 1" above where I will be cutting. I need to make a deep cut because I am going to atempt the "3 way miter joint" that Micheal Fortune uses on his tables.

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

A little more expensive than a bit..

http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/s...l?ref=yahoo513
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• kevin85281
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2005
            • Tempe, AZ, USA.

I think Amana makes a straight 2.5 inch
            http://www.toolstoday.com/pc-5202-37...roduction.aspx
            Haven't seen one longer.
            Good luck
            If I'd known it was harmless I'd have killed it myself.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

MLC woodworking offers an extension if your router does let the collet go all the way the base for maximum depth. IMO, the extension should be used with extreme caution.

Click here!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Amana makes one that goes to 3", I know because I'm going to have to buy it for a project that's somewhere on my list. I would still recommend taking as much out with a spiral cutter as you can, as they are SO much more efficient and easier to use. Then go to the longer bit and finish the depth using small passes.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Seems to me that
                  1) pushing a bit 3-4" long sideways through wood is very str4essful on the bit. You'll have to take 1/8" or maybe 1/4" passes at the most
                  1.5) tkaing 1/4" passes to do 4" is gong to take a lot of passes
                  2) and clearing material will be a problem if the bit is not a upcut spiral
                  3) keeping the router aboslutely vertical is tough

Personally, I'd use a brad point bit or a forstner and a Drill Press to remove as much material as possible and then use the router bit to clean it up.
                  And that's only if I did not have a dedicated mortiser.
                  Really, a good mortising machine will be better, they are designed for up to 4".
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

Loring, that's pretty much how I feel about it. I use the spiral cutters in the router because the cut clean and fast, and I find with my bosch plunge router that I get very accurate morises this way. I find it far easier than using my friend's mortiser, though I don't have occasion to do these very deep mortises often.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• jeff_1064
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2006

I have tried the mortiser attachment for the drill press...it works but doing it with the router is so much cleaner. the actual cut is only 2 inches deep but there is 1 inch between the base of the router and the top of the stock...thats why i need a longer bit.

This is the joint I am trying to re-create.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Holbren
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Heathrow, FL.

I can offer a solid carbide spiral upcut (RU5200) or downcut (RD5200) with 2" cutter length 4" overall in Whiteside. They also make a double fluted straight bit that is up to 2-1/2" cutter length and up to 5-1/2" overall length but I don't stock them. I do stock a 1071 which is 2" cutter length and 3-1/2" overall length.

Prices after BT3 discount

RD/RU5200 $46.80
                        1071 $18.06

Shipping is free on all items.
                        Brian
                        Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                        www.holbren.com

Comment

Working...