• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pirinst
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2005
    • Portland, Or, USA.

Just thought up a cordless Must Have!!!

This winter is the first year we've used a portable heater as the main heater when in the front room/computer room and leave the main house heater on a little lower than before.

When picking up my most recent cordless items (Ryobi caulking gun, vacuum,
    buffer, and portable air compressor) I realized when shopping the three main stores in my area and the internet, no company has a cordless HEATER!

With voltages from 18volts up to who knows how high with the latest/greatest batteries, I'd imagine it would be possible to make a little heater for foot warming-don't you???? Heck, I'd use that thing every day and probably buy two if it worked reasonably well. I can only use one heater now because the second one trips the circuit breaker. (think they're 15 amps). Maybe someone with some insight can forward to some of the big guys that make stuff. Thanks.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pirinst
    This winter is the first year we've used a portable heater as the main heater when in the front room/computer room and leave the main house heater on a little lower than before.

When picking up my most recent cordless items (Ryobi caulking gun, vacuum,
    buffer, and portable air compressor) I realized when shopping the three main stores in my area and the internet, no company has a cordless HEATER!

With voltages from 18volts up to who knows how high with the latest/greatest batteries, I'd imagine it would be possible to make a little heater for foot warming-don't you???? Heck, I'd use that thing every day and probably buy two if it worked reasonably well. I can only use one heater now because the second one trips the circuit breaker. (think they're 15 amps). Maybe someone with some insight can forward to some of the big guys that make stuff. Thanks.
    I hope you're kidding...
    The equivalent power to a 15A heater at 120V will draw no less than 100A at 18V and
    tha battery will last about... as long as it takes to type this reply .
    Really - probably about 2 minutes, if that long.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-18-2006, 09:59 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Get something that uses a fuel cartridge.

Like this:
      http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=28130

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by scorrpio
        Get something that uses a fuel cartridge.

Like this:
        http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=28130
        Just make sure you use it in a well-ventilated area. With the power outages the Seattle area has been suffering over the weekend, they've found several people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning because they brought their generators and charcoal grills inside.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by BobSch
          they've found several people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning because they brought their generators and charcoal grills inside.
          Who ever said stupidity wasn't fatal???

I have been to cold weather training and waking up inside a tent lined with ice from your breath sucks. We fired up our squad stove and we were toasty warm in 2-3 minutes. We only kept it on long enough to melt a few spots on our sleeping bags.

I guess the warnings in the manual are not big enough. Maybe we will see grills with giant warnings instead of brand names pretty soon.
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

You would be better off with those 9V powered wool socks...
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• pirinst
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2005
              • Portland, Or, USA.

Thanks guys. Guess it is really not feasable with

current (get it) battery designs. Some day in a galaxy far far away......

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

While not cordless, just keep adding computers.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by BobSch
                  Just make sure you use it in a well-ventilated area. With the power outages the Seattle area has been suffering over the weekend, they've found several people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning because they brought their generators and charcoal grills inside.
                  most of them (propane heaters) have O2 sensors now to kill them before they kill you.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Well you could do it with a microwave transmitter mounted on your wall and wired to house current and a receiver mounted on the heater. But with the power you'd need if the dog walked between them while it was on, well eeeww....
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Stick
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by sacherjj
                      You would be better off with those 9V powered wool socks...
                      i was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Working...