• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Any Electrical Engineers Out There?

I going to permanently mount a Milwaukee 5625 router in a table. I really like the router remote speed/power set-up shown below:

http://www.jessem.com/new_products.htm

With a lift this would eliminate the need to access the router from below. Only problem is this router/control costs more than twice the price of the router. Is there a way to dig into the router and move the speed pot to a remote location?

Thanks,

Mike
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by MBG
    I going to permanently mount a Milwaukee 5625 router in a table. I really like the router remote speed/power set-up shown below:

http://www.jessem.com/new_products.htm

With a lift this would eliminate the need to access the router from below. Only problem is this router/control costs more than twice the price of the router. Is there a way to dig into the router and move the speed pot to a remote location?

Thanks,

Mike
    Probably the speed pot is part of a circuit board, you hardly ever see discreet pots anymore in quantity-produced electronics due to the labor it tkaes to wire it up vs soldering it into a board. I'll take better than even odds there's one circle-shaped circuit board in the router motor body attached to the speed pot in the end of the motor housing.

You could disassemble the router, move the board to the side of the table and splice some new wires from the board to the motor. there may be several wires involved.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MBG
      • Apr 2003
      • Chicago, Illinois.
      • Craftsman 21829

Thanks Loring - I did see one this weekend and there are 5 conductors in the line from the remote speed control unit to the router.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

yeah, I'm thinking that there may be a speed/RPM sensor feedback because virtually all the elecronic VS controls reputedly maintain the speed under load; they would have to kow the speed to do that. That's why so many wires.

Incidentally that's why a router with built-in VS is better than a fixed speed router with an external speed control, is better. Also one reason why an external speed control can't be used with a router that has internal VS control (The internal controller will try and maintain speed despite the reduced power being fed by the external controller.)
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-10-2006, 12:02 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • SoCal, USA
          • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Loring, how does the circuit maintain the speed? Is it based on amp draw or measure rpm like an ABS sensor does on a car?
          Last edited by Andrew Benedetto; 12-10-2006, 12:22 PM.
          Andrew

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

It uses the speed sensor to determine what power is given to the motor. When the load increases, the circuit detects a reduction on speed and ups the power given to the motor. When the motor spins faster than desired, it cuts the power back. So, I guess to answer your question, by speed.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sacherjj
              It uses the speed sensor to determine what power is given to the motor. When the load increases, the circuit detects a reduction on speed and ups the power given to the motor. When the motor spins faster than desired, it cuts the power back. So, I guess to answer your question, by speed.
              yep. that's it.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • SoCal, USA
                • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

What mechanism/sensor type measures the speed? I quess that is my question. You said load, so is the circuit measuring amp draw changes by the circuit based on the initial start setting with out a sensor measuring speed of the motor?
                Andrew

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Andrew Benedetto
                  What mechanism/sensor type measures the speed? I quess that is my question. You said load, so is the circuit measuring amp draw changes by the circuit based on the initial start setting with out a sensor measuring speed of the motor?
                  offhand, my guess is that they have a magnet/sensor or an optical LED/reflector/sensor where the magnet or the reflector are on the moving part of the motor and the sensor arranged to issue one pulse per revolution. The circuit would determine if the pulse rate were above or below the setting and decrease or increase the PWM respectively to servo the motor speed. PWM is a method of controlling average voltage.
                  At startup there would be no pulses so he speed detector would say "low" and the PWM increased to maximum output until the speed reached the set point. This is simplified greatly, there would be some filters and other stuff to prevent overshoot and oscillations etc.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...