• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

What size BS Blade for BS boxes?

I think I only have 1/2" blades, and since I have an odd size BS, I wouldn't have time to order a blade and complete some if I were to do that for christmas gifts.

I searched here and on Google, but couldn't find anything....
  • jarhead
    • May 2004
    • Boynton Beach, FL.

Z,
    Read this post - specifically reply #12.

Comment

• bigsteel15
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Edmonton, AB
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jarhead
      Z,
      Read this post - specifically reply #12.
      I second that. I've been to visit Brian and his skill and workmanship are amazing.
      You're in a big city. There has to be somewhere you can order the right length blade. I can have them in 2 days here in Edmonton.
      Brian

Welcome to the school of life
      Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• HarmsWay
        • Nov 2003
        • Victoria, BC
        • BT3000

A local shop welds them for me. I use 130", which are (were?) rare but not impossible to find, but they were all badly welded. The local shop uses Starrett stock and welds them perfect - all for about the price I was paying before. I just phone in the order and in a day or two pick it up.

Our machine shop welds all their own and have offered me instructions and the use of their equipment but since I'd have to buy a box of blade stock for every size I need, it's not cost effective unless I'm going through lots of blades and I'm not. Maybe when I'm closer to retirement.

You should be able to find someone locally that will build them for you. Look in the yellow pages under saw sharpening services or something.

Bob

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
          • Dec 2005
          • Russell, NY, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Band Saw Boxes Blades

I've made probably 20-25 BS boxes over the last year, so I have maybe a little experience. I use a 3/16th-10 tpi blade for the whole thing. With a homemde resaw jig to cut the back slab and the drawer slabs, and then the curved cutout for the drawers. The blade is flexible enough for the curved cuts and enough teeth to do a smooth resaw so that when you glue the back on there is really no noticable cut line. Well, it works for me anyway
          RuffSawn
          Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

A 1/2" blade for small bandsaw boxes will be way too big.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...