• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LYU370
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Streamwood, IL.

Any thoughts on these.. Tool stand & mobile base

Need to get some of my tools on to mobile bases, and ran across these over at Homier. Just wondering what thoughts people had about them. Not sure if the herc-u-lifts are still available for $15 at the Borg. I've got a couple at home, but will need one or two more. But this mobile base looks rather interesting.

Tool Stand

Mobile Base

Thanks!
    Andy
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LYU370
    Need to get some of my tools on to mobile bases, and ran across these over at Homier. Just wondering what thoughts people had about them. Not sure if the herc-u-lifts are still available for $15 at the Borg. I've got a couple at home, but will need one or two more. But this mobile base looks rather interesting.

Tool Stand

Mobile Base

Thanks!
    The mobile base looks reasonable except for one thing... with only one lifting wheel (rather than two like the HTC2000 bases) if its in the center and your tool is not balanced half and half you may have problems unless the liifting mechanism can be moved forward or backwards on that frame.

Shouldn't be a problem with most tools though...
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• stav
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2005
      • Orlando, FL, USA.

The price looks good, but they appear to have the base up side down.

Comment

• newbie2wood
        Established Member
        • Apr 2004
        • NJ, USA.

The length of the stand is only 9".

I looked at mobile base several years ago. If my recall is correct, the dimension of the mobile base is also kind of small.
        ________
        thai girl Webcam
        Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• LYU370
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Streamwood, IL.

Yeah I noticed that they don't show the dimensions of the base. So I sent off an email to ask if the base would fit the tool stand, the reply:

The dimensions of the mobile base area 21 ½ x 22 ½ x 3 and it is not adjustable.

So no, it won't fit their stand. Although I wonder if I can put it on my Hitachi DP???
          Andy

Comment

• theminor
            Established Member
            • Jun 2006
            • Dalton, GA
            • BT3100

I bought 2 of the mobile bases and for the price they can't be beat (unless you are lucky enough to find a herc-u-lift). They are not adjustable in size, but fit my BS and my jointer without modification except drilling new holes for the bolts. They will fit a range of sizes because the tool rests on top of thick diagnal supports in each corner. The feet of your tool can land anywhere on that diagonal and you'll be okay. There are 2 pre-drilled holes in each corner, but I had to drill new ones for both tools. Other than that, the bases work great! When moving the tool is supported only by 3 wheels, but they are quite sturdy and when the tool is let down, two thick rubber feet come down to support the tool.

There are other threads on these I read before buying. Others have cut the cross beams and re-welded them adding angle iron to make the base wider for extra-wide tools like lathes. I think someone else also used wood to extend the bases. The cross beams are thick square tube, so you could easily cut them in half and stick wood in the cross beams, secured with bolts. Don't know how that would affect stability and weight-carrying ability though.

Again, I don't think it will be an issue because I think it will fit the base of most machines.
            My Site

Comment

• Salty
              • Feb 2006
              • Akron, Ohio

Looks to be the same import junk that HF sells.
              Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I had either that base or the HF version of it ubder a 6" HF jointer. Built my own to replace it.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• oakchas
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Jefferson City, TN, USA
                  • BT3000

I first learned of the mobile base on this site... or perhaps Ryobi's...

At that time, I heard that the bolts could stand to be beefed up a bit I also heard that many have cut them and added extensions out of doubled ply... making for a nice glue-lam type beam that will hold some weight.

As to their being Chinese junk... well, ain't nothin' much made here any more... We get our steel from overseas, we get our cars (in parts) from over there... We get our electronics from over there. Really hard to find stuff made in America anymore. I've heard even Harley Davidson Clothing is imported and put into boxes...

Yes, there are tools and accessories availble that are made in the USA.... they're very pricey, and getting very rare...

But if you insist on buying Made in the USA... let me know how that works for you in a few years, and good luck with that.

Comment

• jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

Yes, there are tools and accessories availble that are made in the USA.... they're very pricey, and getting very rare...
                    I'm not looking to pick a fight put as a point of information, I believe manufacturing output in the US continues to grow. It's not that we're producing less stuff. We're using fewer people to produce more and the stuff that does get made is typically higher value than the stuff coming in from China. A lot of it goes into military hardware and industrial goods rather than consumer products.

Comment

• oakchas
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Jefferson City, TN, USA
                      • BT3000

You won't get a fight from me, Jack... The "Wal Marting" of America is starting to spread to the industrial sector as well... Lot of our SS fittings and such are made in China... For military hardware... yes, that only makes sense to keep it here.. But even that is being infiltrated by foreign electronics... we design it... they build it... I wonder who the "they" are from time to time....

Comment

Working...