• Show
Clear All
  • CrashResq
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Okmulgee, OK, USA
    • Ryobi BT3100

HF Central Machinery OSS

Just letting anyone who is interested know that Harbor Freight is selling a Central Machinery Oscillating Spindle Sander that for all intents and purposes is identical to the no longer available Ryobi OSS 500. I had been looking for the Ryobi for some time and a friend told me about the one at Harbor Freight yesterday. Oh... it's also only $89... brought it home, unboxed, cleaned the table, installed a sleeve and am now a very happy camper
    Bill (in OK)
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

You're talking about 95088 ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95088

Just curious. Seems like a useful tool. Sure see them used a lot in the television woodworking shows.

Website has it for $110 though. Did you see it on sale for $89 ? Or was that with the coupon ?

Steve

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95088

Is this the one? the site shows it as $109. For another $90, is the Rigid model worth the extra cost?

Edit- Steve, you just beat me to it!!!

Comment

• CrashResq
        Established Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Okmulgee, OK, USA
        • Ryobi BT3100

That is the one. It was $89 at the Tulsa, OK Harbor Freight yesterday (and I believe I saw it on the front page of the most recent sales flyer). I looked at the Rigid... a lot... but I have a nice belt sander, both wide and a narrow so I didn't need that functionality. I just wanted a simple, inexpensive OSS and I know the Ryobi was quite popular. When I found my only "big box" choices were a $199 Rigid or a $250 Delta... I was dissapointed. I've been using this one quite a bit today (mental health day from work ) and I really like it. Does exactly what I wanted it for, i.e. sanding to a layout line after roughing out on bandsaw for some patterns I've been making... and sanding the inside of wood bangles (bracelets).
        Bill (in OK)

Comment

• ssmith1627
          • Dec 2005
          • Corryton, TN, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Called the store and they confirmed the sale price of 89.

Not bad at all with that 15% off coupon.

You guys think this is a lot more effective than the sanding kits you see for a drill press ?

Steve
          Last edited by ssmith1627; 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
            .... For another $90, is the Rigid model worth the extra cost?...
            The Ridgid is a Oscillating Spindle sander AND Oscillating Band sander. The bed tilts, it comes with a 3 yr warranty, and can be registered for the lifetime warranty.

IMHO I think it's worth it. I don't have one, YET.
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• CrashResq
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003
              • Okmulgee, OK, USA
              • Ryobi BT3100

Infinitely better than the little kits for the drill press. The drill press versions load up FAST and start burning if you are not very careful... that's one of the primary advantages of the oscillating part.

TheRic - all valid points if you do not already have a large belt sander, disc sander and 1" belt sander... I do so did not need all the Rigid sander functions for all the extra money; though I almost broke down and bought one anyway just for the OSS functionality (Rigid at the Borg=$199... HF OSS $89 - 15%=$75.65... big difference)
              Bill (in OK)

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ssmith1627
                ...You guys think this is a lot more effective than the sanding kits you see for a drill press ?

Steve
                See this thread from just yesterday or so...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...+press+sanding
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...