• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krogers
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Garden City, New York, USA.

What size nails?

I have a new HF Framing nailer and I need your help about what size nails to shoot. When framing a wall I plan to shoot 3 1/2" nails though the baseplate/top plate and into the vertical stud. But why size nails to you use to join two pieces of 2x material on the flat side? 2 1/2" or 3" nails? Will 3" nails be overkill and blowout the other side?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Yeah they will. You're starting with a 3" combo.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by krogers
      I have a new HF Framing nailer and I need your help about what size nails to shoot. When framing a wall I plan to shoot 3 1/2" nails though the baseplate/top plate and into the vertical stud. But why size nails to you use to join two pieces of 2x material on the flat side? 2 1/2" or 3" nails? Will 3" nails be overkill and blowout the other side?

Sorry - I was thinking 1x material, not 2x.

I deleted my answer, it was completely wrong.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-22-2006, 11:15 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• krogers
        Established Member
        • Aug 2003

better explaination

I must not have explained myself very well. I know Loring is not suggesting I frame walls of 2x4 with glue and brads. I am framing some walls for a closet and bathroom using standard 2x4. I know at some point I am going to be forced to join two pieces of 2x4 throught the small dimensions. Meaning 1 1/2" against 1 1/2", for a total of 3". What is the standard framing practice in this situation? Previously I have only framed using a hammer and 10d, 12d etc. So do I shoot 3" nails and possibly have the tip sticking out the back? This would have the most nail in the wood. Not quite the 2/3 rule, but more than a 2 1/2" nail. Framers may not handle this situation a lot and might just shoot 3 1/2 all the time. But is has to happen. In my case I know I have to tie some rafters together with 2x4 to form the ceiling of the space I am working on. The rafters 2x4 already, so I don't get a choice what I am nailing into.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

In my post I answered your question. You asked if a 3" nail was too much for two 2x4's flat. Two 2x4's equal 3". That's a 3" combo, which is short for combination, not a take out burger. Use a 2 1/2".

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• whitecobra
            Established Member
            • Aug 2006
            • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
            • BT3K with most accessories

BOCA (Florida) which is different then the rest of the USA states that for 2x4 nailed on the flat to another one that a 2.5" is required minimally

To me that means you COULD shoot a 3" on an angle (which is what we do when we shoot with a gun) to insure that it doesn't punch through

It goes further to talk about cement or glue coating but that wasn't asked

Dr Dave
            Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
            www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

The little framing I did was all 3" nails. For 2x flat I just shot on an angle.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

I don't switch nails while framing. The only switch I make is to 8d galv ringshanks for sheathing. If you are framing a wall that is going to be enclosed on both sides, who is going to notice a few nails that poked through?

Comment

• krogers
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2003

Any more experience?

"I don't switch nails while framing. "

Mike, You don't switch. Does that you mean you use 3" nails everywhere? What about through the base plate in to a vertical stud? Shouldn't I use 3 1/2"? Speed is not the issue here. So I don't mind taking the time to switch. I am about to buy a couple of boxes of nails and I want to know the sizes I am going to need most. And you are right, the places where a 3" nail will poke through, will be covered by drywall. - Kevin

Comment

• whitecobra
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
                    • BT3K with most accessories

We only use 3" except sheathing and roofing (and of course that is a different gun). We even use 3" in sheathing if we are too lazy to swap the sticks or the guns

We use 2" for sheathing and 3" for everything else

Dr Dave
                    Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
                    www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

Working...