• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailor
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2003
    • Bel Air, Maryland, USA.

Craftsman disk/belt sander

Our senior center has been given a Craftsman 4" X 36" belt sander with a 6" disk sander, model 113.226430. The sanding arm/bed can be rotated from a horizontal position to a vertical position according to the data plate.

We have not been able to figure out how to install a belt on the machine. It appears that the arm/bed needs to be rotated towards the vertical to clear the disk housing; however, we have not been able to determine how to rotate the arm/bed. The donor did not give us a manual. It is possible that there is a knob missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Our senior center woodshop has started our Christmas projects. Among other things, we will build and paint wooden cars; last year approx 250, this year only 200. They are donated to children in the greater Baltimore area. I thought it was sort of silly the first year we did this - the cars are very primitive - and what little girl wants a wooden car. But the kids, including the girls, love them.

Last year the wood was donated by a nearby Home Depot; this year a framing company is giving us a stack of 2" X 4" off cuts for the car bodies.
  • justaguy
    Established Member
    • Jun 2006
    • Chesapeake VA

These may vary by year/manufacturer but the ones I have seen have a allen head screw at the pivot point that must be lossened to allow the belt sander bed to rotate. You loosen the allen screw, release the belt tension and raise the assembly to slip the belts off/on.
    Last edited by justaguy; 10-26-2006, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• DJehlik
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2006
      • Walnut Creek, CA
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

If you look at http://www3.sears.com/ and enter the model number, you can look up a parts list that shows the owner's manual as part no. SP5406. You can also choose to see an exploded parts diagram.

Kudos on the toy project. Our local WW club does a toy project also. This year some of the members are making lathe-turned boxes for the girls.

Dave

Comment

• Sailor
        Forum Newbie
        • May 2003
        • Bel Air, Maryland, USA.

Justaguy, Thank you for the info.

Dave, I have the Sears website as a 'favorite' and I had looked there for an obvious part or perhaps an instruction manual on a pdf file. I had hopes of getting the belt installed tomorrow so that the sander could be used over the weekend. Thanks to Justaguy I can install it tomorrow morning.

Don

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by justaguy
          These may vary by year/manufacturer but the ones I have seen have a allen head screw at the pivot point that must be lossened to allow the belt sander bed to rotate. You loosen the allen screw, release the belt tension and raise the assembly to slip the belts off/on.

That's how my old craftsman 4" belt/6" disk sander worked, there's a heax head bolt near the pivot to raise the bed. Then there's a lever in the side of the bed you pull out to release the belt tension.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...