• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

HF compressor start problem.

Have the hf 47065 compressor. Recently it has begun to have a problem starting. It will begin to spin then shut down. After a few tries it works fine. A little exploring under the hood exposed two starter capacitors. I feel like one is possibly out. Is there a way to check them or should I just get two more and replace?
    Thanks
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

compressor

If you know someone who does HVAC work they should have a capacitor
    test instrument ...that should tell if they are good or not,if they don't, a good
    electrical dist. like Graybar or Grainger might be able to test it for you. If you decide to take them somewhere to be tested, disconnect compressor from power source first, and then you need to discharge any built up/ stored energy in them by arcing across the terminals with
    a good plastic handled screwdriver before disconnecting the wires.
    eezlock
    Last edited by eezlock; 10-26-2006, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• scoly
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Now that you mention it I do have a friend that is an electrician. Not exactly HVAC but he should be able to help. Thanks.
      Steve
      It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

My 6 1/2 hp CH compressor was acting the same way, turned out the check valve was letting the tank pressure back into the compressor head and the relief valve was ineffective against that volume of air. You might loosed up the air line and see if it will start with out a load.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Daryl
          My 6 1/2 hp CH compressor was acting the same way, turned out the check valve was letting the tank pressure back into the compressor head and the relief valve was ineffective against that volume of air. You might loosed up the air line and see if it will start with out a load.

I think that if it starts and then stops that this is the likely problem.
          A bad starter cap, it would not start at all.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...