• Show
Clear All
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Pocket Hole Screw Source

Where do you folks buy PH screws (actually square drive screws in general as well), best combination of price and quality?
    McFeeleys, Kreg, ???
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ken Massingale; 10-14-2006, 09:58 AM. Reason: Can't spell
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

I got mine at Rockler when they were having a sale about 6-8 months ago. As I remember, they were pretty competitive with what I found on the Net pricing for various companies. I believe it was a buy one get one free deal (in bags).
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Ken Weaver
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Clemson, SC, USA
      • Rigid TS3650

Bought my first from McFeely's and second batch from Rockler - screws seemed bout the same, just taking advantage of the sales.
      Ken Weaver
      Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by jhart
        I got mine at Rockler when they were having a sale about 6-8 months ago. As I remember, they were pretty competitive with what I found on the Net pricing for various companies. I believe it was a buy one get one free deal (in bags).
        What Joe said. And McFeely's when I have time to order them. Usually, though, I need them NOW, so it's off to WoodCraft or Rockler.

Hey, post #500!

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

"Hey, post #500! "

Shame on you! Only 2 years as a member and already 500 posts.
          Feel good? ;-D
          Congrats.

Thanks for the feedback on the sources, guys, I hope there's more coming.

Comment

• bigsteel15
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Edmonton, AB
            • Ryobi BT3100

I always love this one.
            Answer is...at any store.
            They all have square drive screws cheap like borscht.
            Brian

Welcome to the school of life
            Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• padboy
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2005
              • Roscommon, Michigan, USA.

Easy for you to say, being in Canada, where the square drive screw was invented. I believe it was called Robertson drive.
              Cheers!

Comment

• JSCOOK
                • Sep 2006
                • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by padboy
                Easy for you to say, being in Canada, where the square drive screw was invented. I believe it was called Robertson drive.
                Cheers!
                Yep, it's Robertson ... and pratically used for almost every type of screw available, except drywall screws for some reason which use Phillips (which IMHO suck as the bits strip way to easy!)
                "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • IL, USA.
                  • DELTA 36-675

I loaded up on Kreg pocket hole screws at Rockler when they were having the 50% off sale on screws couple months back.. Bought multiple huge boxes of them.. Before that I usually buy them at Menards during the 17% off on anything you can fit in the their paper bag.
                  Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• MBG
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Chicago, Illinois.
                    • Craftsman 21829

I found the best deal at www.cshardware.com .

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JSCOOK
                      Yep, it's Robertson ... and pratically used for almost every type of screw available, except drywall screws for some reason which use Phillips (which IMHO suck as the bits strip way to easy!)
                      If am impact driver is used, Phillips screws will drive as well as a Robertson without camming out or stripping. But if used on pocket holes a light touch should be in order.

Since I started using an impact driver, I haven't even been tempted to think Robertson or square drive. I don't even use the square drives that I still have.

Another way of stating it:

Impact Driver + Philips = Cordless Drill + Robertson on camming out.
                      But the Impact driver has more power per volt and is lighter weight.

Can you tell I like my impact drivers?
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Liberty, SC, USA.
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks for the suggestions. Yep, cshardware is ~$8 less per 1000 than Amazon, McFeelys, etc. Thanks.

Comment

• JSCOOK
                          • Sep 2006
                          • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by leehljp
                          If am impact driver is used, Phillips screws will drive as well as a Robertson without camming out or stripping. But if used on pocket holes a light touch should be in order.

Since I started using an impact driver, I haven't even been tempted to think Robertson or square drive. I don't even use the square drives that I still have.

Another way of stating it:

Impact Driver + Philips = Cordless Drill + Robertson on camming out.
                          But the Impact driver has more power per volt and is lighter weight.

Can you tell I like my impact drivers?
                          Robertson Camming out? .... not likely if your using quality made screws and drivers ... and the correct size bit for the screw (as in not a #1 driver for a #2 screw) here in Canada we use them for everything under the sun, and pretty much exclusively for outside deck & railing building in which no one is going to do it by hand ... everything is power driven in.
                          "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JSCOOK
                            Robertson Camming out? .... not likely if your using quality made screws and drivers ... and the correct size bit for the screw (as in not a #1 driver for a #2 screw) here in Canada we use them for everything under the sun, and pretty much exclusively for outside deck & railing building in which no one is going to do it by hand ... everything is power driven in.
                            OK, That did not come out right.

The ability of Impact Drivers with Phillips screws ARE EQUAL TO cordless drill drivers and Robertson. Robertson was created to prevent the camming out and is necessary on Drill Drivers if you do not want the camming out or stripped heads. But, IMPACT Drivers and similar quality Phillips screws (to the Robertson heads) will deliver the same performance as the robertson without camming out or stripping the head.

They are equal in that department.

The applied forces of an Impact driver are different than that of a Drill driver. The Drill Drivers demand a Robertson type of screw to prevent the camming out. Impact drivers do not need special screws other than a Phillips to deliver the same work. Since Phillips screws are more plentiful in local stores, they are more convenient and deliver the same performance - but the caveat is that you need a special tool to do it - an Impact Driver.

And of course we are always looking for excuses to buy new tools!
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • SoCal, USA
                              • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Phillips are designed to cam out in drywall applications using a screwgun w. depth guide. Bulge head drywall screws really are not for woodworking although we all use them at times. I think the smaller style bits work best to avoid camout w. phillips and as said, use an impact driver and you will never use a drill w. phillips again, for non drywall use. Pocket applications I use a hand screwdriver or my new "I" LiIon Bosch angle driver.
                              I bought my screws from Kreg directly, their price w. s&h was good at the time if you bought enough.
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...