• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry David
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Maryland.

10" Compound Miter Saw

Any recommendations for a good, accurate 10" compond miter saw? I will be using it in different rooms in my house to do crown molding work. Money is not a huge issue but I like a good deal and I don't want to spend a lot of money if I don't have too. thanks
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

I would do a search on this site, as this topic pops up regularly. The usual suspects are Ryobi, Ridgid, Makita, Hitachi, Delta, etc.
    The market place tends to offer a good product, if it is bad, the offending item is gone from the shelves rather quickly.
    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• steve-u
      Established Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Bartlett, Ill.
      • Ryobi BT 3100

Double check that a ten inch will do the job for you. Many of us like to cut crown standing against the fence upright and upside down. A 12 inch miter saw will give you better capacity in that regard. Bosch makes a really excellent 12 inch dual bevel CMS with laser, built in crown stops and a decent 40 tooth blade that will set you back around $290 shipped at Amazon. If you don't need a 12 inch the basic models from Rigid, Dewalt, Makita, Porter Cable, Hitachi, etc will do fine though you can pretty much count on buying a better blade for your purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4212L-12...2?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Comment

• messmaker
        Veteran Member
        • May 2004
        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
        • Ridgid 2424

Steve is right. You don't see a lot of mention of a bad CMS. I do think you may need a 12" for crown molding though.
        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

You guys can bash Craftsman all you want. About 8 yrs ago got a Sears discount certificate for a CMS and thought it would be a good back-up for a 14" Makita. Well, I gotta say I like it. It's only 33 lbs, 15Amp, large bevel scales, and works great. Have had to make no adjustments, and with a good 60T blade does a great job. Maybe I just got lucky with this one. This might start a whole confession thread for Craftsman owners.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Larry David
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2006
            • Maryland.

Thanks for the response guys. I have a large 12" Ridgid CMS mounted to a stand in my shop which I don't really want to remove it from the stand and lug it around from room to room in the house. That's why I was asking about the 10" CMS. It sounds like if I just stick to the better known brands I should be OK.

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

OK, I confess, I have a Craftsman 10 CMS and I HATE it. The underside of the table very easily loads up with sawdust making it difficult to adjust angle settings. When making bevel cuts, if you're not careful, the table also has a tendency to flex which of course messes up your cut. The laser is worthless but then again so are all arbor mounted laser discs so Craftsman isn't alone in that department.

Look closely at the Craftsman, RIDGID, and the Ryobi. All three are fairly close in design which leads me to believe that all three will have the same problems as I have with my Craftsman CMS. I wouldn't recommend any of these three.

Comment

• steve-u
                Established Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Bartlett, Ill.
                • Ryobi BT 3100

I think you will be fine Larrry with a basic 10 inch CMS then asuming it will cut the crown size you want. If you have a Lowes nearby check out the Hitachi 10 CMS. They are very reasonably priced and definitley a step above the bargain brand names in my opinion. From time to time Amazon has great deals on recon Dewalt CMS.

Cabinetman. I don't know who you are referring to but I am not a Craftsman basher and have a 1983 Craftsman RAS that I like very much and am glad to see that they are offering realy nice table saws ["zip code"]for great prices when on sale. I would only say that a purchaser needs to be careful buying a Crafstman power tools as some are great [Bosch router clone for example] though others are not. If I but a Bosch, Makita, or Milwaukee power tool on the other hand I am almost assured of getting a great power tool.

Steve

Comment

• Larry David
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Maryland.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I ordered a Makita from Amazon: Model LS1040F. $164 total. $189 less the $25 promotion "SAVEMORE"...free shipping too.

I have been happy with my other Makita tools, so why not try their saw???

Comment

• padboy
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2005
                    • Roscommon, Michigan, USA.

Bought a GMC(Global Machinery Corp)10" CSCC saw from Amazon. I like it a lot. A well made saw with decent features. It replaced a Ryobi RAS saw which was recalled recently by Ryobi. That was the last straw for me! I am tired of buying Ryobi products and then have them recalled years later to protect them from possible litigation due to sloppy design work.

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

What's a CSCC?

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • SoCal, USA
                        • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Originally posted by sweensdv
                        What's a CSCC?
                        I think he means Compound Slider Circ. Saw, usu. a SCMS
                        Andrew

Comment

• vaking
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have not done many moldings myself but not long ago I came across an article in a magazine about doing it. The author was adamant about taking carefull measurements for entire room, making a list and then going to a stationary mounted CMS for cutting. He was saying that portable CMS will not match accuracy of a mounted tool. If you have a good 12 CMS already I would not try working with it rather than buying second one.
                          Alex V

Comment

• onedash
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2005
                            • Maryland
                            • Craftsman 22124

I have a PC. I chose it because It had the best feeling handle. I thought craftsman with the multi postion handle might have been good but it didn't feel good to me. Most comparisons within the same budget come down to what feels best or maybe what color goes best in your shop. Unless you find a good sale.
                            YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• Larry David
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2006
                              • Maryland.

saw arrived today

The Makita 10" CMS arrived today, that was fast, I received an email yesterday from Amazon to let me know that the scheduled delivery was set for 10/20 . I made a few cuts and I like the saw a lot so far. The flourescent light is a great idea and does a good job illuminating the cutting area. Tomorrow I'll get some paint grade moldings and get to work.

Comment

Working...