• Show
Clear All
  • jessrice
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

benchdog pro table

morning all,

(gloat part next)
    yesterday was my birthday, and i was lucky enough to receive the complete benchdog router table system from my mother.

She used to be a district manager for dewalt/BD so she knows tools, and needs me to help finish remodeling her house, so it works out for her as well.

(the question part)
    She had a clue that i was looking for a new table because i was setting up my BT for her to use last week, and she asked where the router table was and i showed her it was built in, but i had seen one that shopfox/grizzly makes and how it had a sliding table like our BTs do and looked like a nice stand alone. But it was over 300.00 and with the new shop, i haven't been satisfying my tool demons.

the grizzly is here,

Both are carried at my local tool shop, and she told me to exchange one for the other if i liked, but the owner told her this was the best table he had and gave it to her for same price as the grizzly, 329.99.

Since i wasn't really into the market i hadn't spent much time looking at router tables to avoid temptation, so anyone care to share some opinions on the benchdog?

It is currently still setting in the three boxes in came in, but i am gonna cave in and open it or exchange it cause she needs some work done in her house. This also eliminates the possibility of building my own, since she needs the work to be done this weekend.

So, do i keep the benchdog, or exchange for the shopfox/grizzly?

thanks
    Jesse
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

If I had to choose, I'd take the Bench Dog, if only because it's ready for DC. You'd have to do a lot of fiddling to get DC set up for the Grizzly.

I don't see the sliding table as any real advantage. I'd rather not have it, to be honest.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I agree with Tom. If you arn't into building your own, the benchdog is one nice setup. Ready to hook up to DC and use right away. The Rockler tables are nice, but no bottom shroud, so DC issues. The same with your own design, it's best to have some form of cabinet under the router if you are serious about DC.

I'd keep the benchdog.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

Benchdog, Jesse. IMO the sliding table is eye candy. What it does you can do with the Benchdog miter slot, tho I very rarely ever use the MS on a router table. I'm with Tom and Keith.
        k

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

FWIW I've never wished for a sliding miter table on my router table.

I hear the bench dog tables are nice.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sbs
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • VA
            • BT3.1k

I have the benchtop bench dog, which appears to have the same top and fence as that one. The thing that really sucks about it is that there is no provision for inserts. Had I realized that I would not have bought this table.

At a quick glance, the Grizzly has provision for inserts and comes with at least two, so I would choose the Grizzly assuming it met my other requirements.

Comment

• onedash
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Maryland
              • Craftsman 22124

I have a JessEm and I love it. I bought the Table, Fence and plate....It was a little more expensive but I put it on a stand I have and closed up the sides with ply wood....
              YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                • Dec 2005
                • Russell, NY, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Lucky guy! Happy B-day. My parents were never rich enough to spend that kind of money on little ole me. Congrats.
                RuffSawn
                Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...