• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodinville guy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Cedar Park, TX

Problem with Ryobi Router

I have a Ryobi fixed base router that I use on my BT3100. For the second time the height adjustment ring has seperated and is not useless. The first time I took it in for service and they fixed it under warranty. Now I'm SOL. Does anyone else have this problem? Can I fix it?

What routers would you suggest I get to replace it? I still want to use it on the saw.

-Dave
    - Dave
  • woodinville guy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Cedar Park, TX

Does anyone have any advice?
    - Dave

Comment

• jwaterdawg
      • Aug 2005
      • Washington, NC USA
      • JET

No advice about the Ryobi router since I don't own one. A good router for the table is IMHO the Hitachi M12V (3.25 HP EVS). It's quiet, often on sale at Amazon for ~$120 and a real work horse. HTH
      Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

unfortunately I think from what I hear its a common problem with those ryobi fixed base routers. Also that they do not hold weight settings well.
        Maybe it's time to move up... probably not what you wanted to hear.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eddy merckx
          Established Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Western WA
          • Shop Fox Cabinet

Hi Dave. I have personally returned two Ryobi routers to HD this year. They were pretty good about taking them back, although much nicer at one of the stores. In my area of WA State there is a one year warranty on power tools at HD.
          After much frustraton with inexpensive routers, I bit the bullet and got the Dewalt 3 base set at HD. You can permanently mount one of the bases in your BT3. Then you can change bits super fast on your work bench by popping the motor out. You still get an adjustment ring instead of having to crank a handle. The plunge body is also incredibly smooth and has decent dust collection. The edge guide even has dust collection.

Eddy

Comment

• woodinville guy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Cedar Park, TX

Well it sounds like I need to be on the prowl for a new router. I can't return my current one so I'll check out the hitachi and the dewalt routers.

Thanks for the help

-Dave
            - Dave

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • SoCal, USA
              • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I assume you mean the plastic base one that is older. Cheap design,sold mine after much frustration. I had gotten an extra ring from Ryobi. They will come apart, and are really not very good routers. The best Ryobi router was the RE600 which I still have, but that was when they were made in Japan or the USA and were known for quality power tools.
              Andrew

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

Ryobi routers

I tried the sears version of the Ryobi router in the 3100 accessory table
                that came with the saw....didn't like the method of raising and lowering the
                bit. I built a dedicated router table, installed the Dewalt 616 router base (fixed base)in it and I wouldn't change it. I have an extra fixed base for the 616 for freehand type routing and this is one of the best routers of(6) that I have ever used, plenty of power and it never fails. If you check this type of adjustment that Dewalt has on either the 616 or 618 they are the same
                I think you would like it. eezlock

Comment

Working...