• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

HF Crown Stapler--Review

Some months ago, I purchased the HF Crown Stapler No. 40073. The purchase was made in anticipation of the plantation shutters LOML wants.

This last week I made a cage for my son's 3 1/2 foot Iguana. It is 7' tall and 42" wide and 15" deep. To attach the nylon netting, I had to shoot hundreds of the crown staples.

In a word, the gun worked great. Not one jam, not one misfire in over 500 staples. The gun includes an easy to use depth adjustment, that allows fine adjustment.

It is currently on sale for $19.99. It comes with a moulded case, 4 boxes of different sizes of staples, an oiler and a quick connect.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40073

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • softop41
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Plainfield, IL, USA.
    • BT3100-1

HF crown stapler

I second the story of the HF crown stapler. It performs as well, if not better, than my two more expensive Porter Cable guns.
    Jerry
    Jerry
    Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Me three. Have yet to have a jam or misfire with mine. I would definately recommend this stapler to anyone in the market for one.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

I like my HF stapler, too. I'm surprised how often I use it. Great for holding thin stock -- stock that a brad would pull through. It has been a good buy.

- Lonnie
        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

that's the narrow (1/4") crown stapler.
          I have the HF wide crown (1/2") stapler and it works OK, too for the $15-20 or so I spent.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• steve-u
            Established Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Bartlett, Ill.
            • Ryobi BT 3100

I also bought the HF stapler mentioned to go along with my Porter Cable pancake compressor combo kit. I have used it a few times and have also found it to be great. You simply can not beat it for that price which is what I also paid especially considering it comes with a nice case and assortment of staples.

Steve

Comment

• gordons
              Established Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Charlotte, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

Must agree. I have the combo brad/stapler. Cannot remember what I paid for it, bit it has been shooting nails and staples like new. Just keep it oiled regularly while using and when storing. For the price, cannot be beat.
              Gordon
              I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

Comment

• greencat
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Grand Haven Mi

New Coupon brings the 1/2 crown stapler to 9.99 - how can you go wrong at that price?
                Thanks again,
                Mike

Comment

• gmack5
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

I got mine today.

Had to go to the VA in Feyetteville, Arkansas for my monthly check up, (near a HF store) so I picked up one of the 1/4" Staplers.

They were out of Stock on the Staples, so I ordered them over the Web (We'll see how long THAT takes!)
                  They said max of 2 weeks, we'll see.

Thanks for the heads up, Steve.
                  Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                  Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                  George

Comment

• papadick
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Rosemount, MN, USA.

I have two of these for installing aluminum soffit. I side forty plus houses a year and one of my staplers is comming up on two years probably 10,000 staples and still works great

Comment

• hardihood1
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • wa, USA.
                      • bt 3100

iv got a porter cable and stanley botish wich cost me alot more money. awhile back i bought the hf brad nailer and i like it more than the brand names. i grab it first for everything. i seem to learn the more expensive and hard way.
                      measure once...cut twice!

Comment

• JeremyM
                        Established Member
                        • May 2004

I have some problems with mine, maybe you can help.

I broke out the 40073 yesterday and was making some utilitarian boxes for the shed. It seems like a great gun, but I had a couple issues.

First, it jammed. What I mean, it left a staple up where the striker should run. So I disassembled the front of the gun, pulled out the staple and reassembled it. After that (the gun had only had 20 staples shot through it before then) I couldn't get the sliding cover to positively lock down for more than a couple shots.

I'm thinking I can probably disassemble that back end and see what it looks like. But I thought I'd check with everyone and see if they've had the same prob and what fixes they might have.

Comment

• jAngiel
                          • Oct 2003
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by scmhogg
                          This last week I made a cage for my son's 3 1/2 foot Iguana. It is 7' tall and 42" wide and 15" deep. To attach the nylon netting, I had to shoot hundreds of the crown staples.
                          Not to get off the subject of your stapler but my son has an iguana that will be in need of a new cage soon. Did you find plans for it somewhere or did you just imitate something you saw on the web?
                          James

Comment

• scmhogg
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                            • BT3000

Jeremy,

While I haven't had a jam with the crown stapler, I have had a similar jam with my ever reliable brad nailer. It seems that the GFI had triggered and my compressor did not kick on when the pressure ran low. The gun jammed at about 30 PSI.

The staple cover on the 40073 can be difficult to close. I tip the gun to the right to get the staples out of the way of the slide.

If the fixes aren't simple, I would take the gun back to HF. You can certainly get a "bad one" at HF.

Steve

Comment

• scmhogg
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                              • BT3000

RE: Iguana

James,

I looked at a number of cages on the web. I made my own "plans", as The cage had to fit a specific space in my son's small apartment.
                              It was 7' tall 42" wide and 15" deep. I used plain white tile board for the back that goes up against the wall. I built frames for the remaining sides and stapled 1" netting. I had to use two 24" panels in the front that slide like a closet door. There was not enough room for doors to swing open. I used golf netting that I bought on ebay.

There are lots of other details that I had to work out. If this sort of thing might fit your bill, I will have my son take some pics, and I will jot down more of the details. Including the netting, which was about twice as much as I needed, the cage cost less than $100.00. And, I think it looks a lot better than some of the $4-500.00 ones.

Steve

Comment

Working...