• Show
Clear All
  • ART-EDNA
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • AXTELL, NEBRASKA, USA.
    • RYOBI BT3100

I need a dovetail jig?

What jig to buy Leigh-Poeter cable-or one of the 10 or so copy of somebodys jig? price maybe a factory but not as important and ease of setup and use!
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by ART-EDNA
    What jig to buy Leigh-Poeter cable-or one of the 10 or so copy of somebodys jig? price maybe a factory but not as important and ease of setup and use!
    If price is not a big factor, I would go with either the Leigh (16" or 24") or a Porter Cable jig and a Jointech system for your table.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• padboy
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2005
      • Roscommon, Michigan, USA.

Dovetail Jig

Try:www.stots.com Ingenious jig...incredibly low price. You use it to make duplicate jigs to fit whatever size project you're working on. I love mine!

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

To declare an interest right off - I use a Leigh D4 Dovetail Jig and I swear by it (not at it!). However, it's a fairly steep learning curve at the start, with some assembly required, a massive (but beautifully written and illustrated) manual and a video/DVD to watch. The jig will do more than most, but it's definitely overkill for a simple dovetail project - even for a few drawers, it's over the top. If, however, you want accurate dovetails that are infinitely variable, symmetric, asymetric, through, half-blind, sliding, up to 24" boards, then go for a Leigh and be prepared for some serious practice.

If you want a simpler, single-template machine, then you'll need to decide if you want to make through dovetails, half-blinds or both, because some jigs will do one, but not the other - some will do both. This may affect your purchase decision.

There are many dovetail jig users here, but I can only speak for the Leigh. No doubt there will be many others along to help you, although it would help if we knew whether you need through or half-blind joints.

Ease of setup is always nice, so for smaller or less-frequent projects, look for this factor. If you want something a little more ambitious, something you could "grow into," then this will entail more setup variables, so be prepared for that.

Enough rambling - good luck with your choosing!

Ray.
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Although I don't own one, I would agree (in a standing-on-the-sidelines, looking-in-the-window kind of way) with Ray that if you want a jig that can do it all, with the most flexibility and the best-looking results, the Leigh would be the one to get. In addition to the learning curve he mentions, though, it's also pretty darned spendy ... on the order of $400 for the 24" model (which, IMO, is the only one to get: if you're going to go that far, go all the way).

More than once I have called the jig I finally settled on, the $150 Porter-Cable 4212, a "poor man's Leigh." Unlike most relatively inexpensive jigs, it will do not only half-blinds but also thru-dovetails and box-joints, all with the included templates. It even includes the bits and guides you need -- extra-cost items with most jigs. The main thing the Leigh does that the 4212 will not is allow you to set up custom spacing for your dovetails. The Leigh is infinitely adjustable; with the P-C, you must work with the standard fixed spacing. (It will allow you to skip some of the increments when doing thru-dovetails, however.)

If you just want to do half-blinds, the cheapie from Harbor Freight is likely the one to get, as it is essentially the same thing as the more expensive jigs from Rockler, Hartville Tool, Grizzly, etc.
          Larry

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

The Rockler jig has a version that does both through and 1/2 blind, at about 100$, but it's plastic. The Porter Cable is probably a better buy.

The Leigh jigs are the way to go if you are considering doing "studio furniture" or artistic furniture. If you are doing kitchen cabinets all of the time, I'd go for the PC.

There are 2 Leigh jigs as mentioned above, the 16 and 24 versions. The 16 can't vary the pin size, the 24 can. Heafty price tags, but worth it for the functionality in my opinion.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• kwgeorge
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Alvin, TX, USA.

I started with the original Porter Cable jig and really disliked it. I have had it for a very long time and it just sits on a shelf. It was the #4112 anybody wanna buy it?

Then here not to long ago I decided to try again and purchased the Leigh D1600. I chose this one as I did not see a need to make dovetails on a board wider than this jig would handle and I have used my friends D4.

The jig came with a DVD that introduced the basic usage and the manual is great. My first time out I made perfect dovetails and I really like using it as it is no trouble to get setup and using.

Ken

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                • Feb 2004
                • Concord, NC, USA.

I have the Leigh and have been using it for about five years now and will not part with it without bloodshed. I didn't have a problem learning it though I did take my time and go through it with the manual the first time.
                As mentioned, the Leigh has the absolute best instruction manual in the business. I have seen some (usually those who do not own a Leigh) say that the manual is so big because the jig is so complicated. That's not true at all. The manual is thick because it is very complete, has lots of well-done illustrations and sections on all the different dovetail styles, explaining all completely.

I have reviews of the Leigh and the Rockler Combo jig mentioned above at the links below. Ther Rockler jig is really nice for the money, especially considering it comes with the bits and collar. Plus, they have a simple system for centering the dovetails on the board though they are not adjustable in width like the Leigh.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rcklrdtjigrvu.html

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/leighjig.html
                Tom Hintz
                NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• Whit
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Denton, Tx, USA.
                  • BT3000, BT3100

If you are interested in the Porter Cable 4212, go to Portercable.com. There are videos and advanced manuals to do different types of dovetails. Not as fancy as the Leigh but much cheaper.
                  Good luck with whatever you decide.
                  Whit

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Just to throw my two cents into the mix, I originally bought the Rockler DT jig on sale for $55 or so. It looked easy to use and set up on their video online. However, talking with the store employees I got the feeling it wasn't so simple. So I decided to go with the 4212. I haven't taken the time to set it up, but it's obviously MUCH better built than the Rockler/ HF jig. Also, there's a ton of info etched/ stamped into the jig and templates to assist in setting up and tweaking the jig. It'll be used for the standard half-bling and through dovetails for large "production" projects like kitchen cabinets and shop cabinets. Then for really nice furniture- once I get good enough to make it (that'll be years down the road)- I can either 1) do dovetails by hand, 2) make a really simple BS jig or TS jig for variable-spaced dovetails, or 3) upgrade to the Leigh and get a decent portion of the $ from the 4212 back. But for now I can justify another $60 more for the PC than the Rockler, but not another $260 for the Leigh over the PC....

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I use a Harbor Freight. For dovetailed drawers (half blind) I think it works as well as any dovetail jig and it's the cheapest. it also has an aluminum template for dovetails 1/2 inch apart. To do 7/16 spacing, I bought a Shop Fox aluminum template from Grizzley. It's all metal except for knobs and the cam that clamp the work in place.

If I wanted to do through dovetails I would either take the time to do them by hand or get a Leigh or the Porter Cable 4212. The PC is limited to fixed spacing and 12 inch width but it's a lot cheaper. The Leigh is the most versatile but also by far the most expensive. I find it hard to justify but maybe some day.

Just for the record, I am no big HF fan. I won't order from their catalog because of lousy delivery performance and I do not think some of the things I've bought there were good buys. I think the dovetail jig is definitely one of their better efforts. You need the Woodstock instructions, however, the HF instructions are one of their worst efforts - virtually useless. You can get the HF on sale for $30. Even if you get a Leigh or maybe even a PC it could be worthwhile to have the HF for simple half blind dovetail drawers.

Jim

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

I think everyone has pretty much summed up my feelings and my vote for the PC 4212. The 4212 is a complete system. You don't have to buy bits and wonder if they are the right size, degree, etc like you do with so many other systems. It includes the ability to do half blind, through, sliding dovetails and box joints. It includes all bits needed and all bushings needed. Other cheaper kits don't do this. Plus you can read the PC manual once, leave it in the house and follow the directions that are printed and engraved ON THE JIG ITSELF!!! Awesome. I spent many, many, many wasted hours with the HF jig, infact I ended up salvaging the knobs and tossing the rest of the jig. Others have had good results. I used the Woodtek manual. It was just an aweful experience in my opinon.
                        Go to the link below and explore some of the possibilities the PC can accomplish. I have only done Half blind and through DTs with my jig but it was incrediably easy. Seriously.

http://www.porter-cable.com/jigs/

The Leigh jig is well regarded however I have heard (and as others in this thread assert) it has a large learning curve. Others states that the PC does not have variable settings but it kind of gives you some flexibility. Simply use the skipped method and other methods shown in the Advanced Manual. Even with the Leigh jigs folks have a tendency to form some sort of pattern with the tails and pins, much like the skipped method.
                        Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 09-08-2006, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• kwgeorge
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well Jeffrey I even went back and reread this thread, I did not see anywhere in this thread that anyone said the Leigh had a large learning curve. As a matter of fact I watched the DVD once real quick and went out and made dovetails. Perhaps people who have not read the manual have issues but I certainly did not have any problems with the Leigh.

Ken

Comment

• MilDoc

I wanted a Leigh but the LOML vetoed it. And she was right. I bought the PC and it does what I want / need, very well. I drool when I see the fancy dovetails the Leigh can produce. But then, so far I've only made 2 drawers with dovetails, so LOML was right (again!)
                            . OTOH, she's quite liberal with other tool purchases, especially when recommended by BT3'ers!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by kwgeorge
                              Well Jeffrey I even went back and reread this thread, I did not see anywhere in this thread that anyone said the Leigh had a large learning curve. As a matter of fact I watched the DVD once real quick and went out and made dovetails. Perhaps people who have not read the manual have issues but I certainly did not have any problems with the Leigh.

Ken
                              Wow. Really? How about the second sentence in RayintheUK's thread?

Comment

Working...