• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

Benchtop router: how big for bit hole?

I'm making the benchtop router from the Router Magic book. As you can imagine, its a small table to sit on a workbench... maybe around 16" x 24" ... anyway, he doesn't say how big to make the opening for the bit. I won't be able to easily close it down so I don't want to make it bigger than I need. Obviously, I am not going to be using any Door Panel bits in this baby.

Currently my largest bit is <1.5" diameter, so I am planning to go with that. However, I don't have that many bits... so I am asking if that sounds good or should I go for 2"?

Standing ready at the drill....
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I wouldn't go any bigger than 1.5" for now. You can always make it bigger, later. But it could be a very long time before you buy anything larger, if ever.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

2" sounds good, just remember the clearance will be half the difference so a 2" hole and 1.5" bit will give you 1/4" clearance, provided your router is well centered, too.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

The insert ring that came w/ my Jessem/Rockler router lift is 1.5". I have never needed more clearance (in the last 1.5 years since getting the lift). And I wouldn't want it any smaller either as I use a down-draft box and need to be able to suck some air in to get the dust.

Make sure you get the hole centered, though. I might be inclined to mount the router w/ a 1/4" bit installed, plunge the bit, and use the resulting hole to pilot a 1.5" hole saw. That way it will be perfectly centered.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

+1 almost exactly on what cgallery said. I have the Rockler/JessEm Mast-R-Lift, and with it bought the extra four-piece insert set. Except for the big bits you won't be using, either the stock 1-1/2" insert or the 1-3/16" guide bushing insert from the set provides all the clearance I normally need.

When I use a 3/4" roundover or a drawer lock bit, I'll fit the 2-1/2" insert. Most of the time, though, 1-1/2" is plenty.
          Larry

Comment

• davidtu
            • Apr 2006
            • Seattle, WA
            • BT3100

Thanks for the info guys, I went ahead and cut it at 1.5" so I guess it's a done deal.

I was really tempted to rout out a larger disc area so I could make hardboard inserts w/ different size holes, but sounds like it would be overkill for this little table. I will say this, tho, the circle jig in the Router Magic book worked like a charm, tho it was hard to get the exact size setup... some trial and error there, but it functions great. (Of course that put me two projects removed from my main project... was needing to make some dados on small pieces & some other edge routing... so wanted a router table... to make the router table I needed a circle jig.... yet again I feel like the Lady Who Swallowed the Fly. )

Next winter or spring I'll be making a full size table anyway.
            Last edited by davidtu; 09-08-2006, 10:18 PM.
            Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by davidtu
              ...Of course that put me two projects removed from my main project....
              Yep, that sounds about right.

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

• ChrisD
                • Dec 2004
                • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by Tom Miller
                Yep, that sounds about right.

Regards,
                Tom
                I actually went the other way with a recent project: I had to put the router table project on hold. The result: Improved skills on the table saw!
                The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

Working...