X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve_ma
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005

Do I need a Jointer/Planer

I have alot of tools...besides BT and installed router, plunge router, radial arm saw, band saw, scroll saw, compound mitre saw, drill press...most of which I got from my dad..pretty much all of which I use...except scroll saw. Mostly I just make cabinets of of ply for my shop or garage and I bought some S3S red oak for face frames and such, but wasnt too worried about everything being perfect.

Then, I bought 100 bd ft of white oak for a project it is was S3S by the lumber yard. I also got 20bd ft of hickory which is unfinished (argh..)

When I joined the boards to make wider panels, they came ok but not perfect.

I can think of alot of reason not to buy more tools; the first 2 being money and space. I have been researching these tools and if I was going to buy something I would probably get the Mikita planer ($400 Amazon) and the Rigid Jointer since I can pick it up at HD (and I havent read anything bad about it).

On the other hand, if I want to work with more hardwoods - which I do - seems these tools are indespensible. Am I right about that?

Thanks for your opinions....
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by steve_ma
    I have alot of tools...besides BT and installed router, plunge router, radial arm saw, band saw, scroll saw, compound mitre saw, drill press...most of which I got from my dad..pretty much all of which I use...except scroll saw. Mostly I just make cabinets of of ply for my shop or garage and I bought some S3S red oak for face frames and such, but wasnt too worried about everything being perfect.

Then, I bought 100 bd ft of white oak for a project it is was S3S by the lumber yard. I also got 20bd ft of hickory which is unfinished (argh..)

I can think of alot of reason not to buy more tools; the first 2 being money and space. I have been researching these tools and if I was going to buy something I would probably get the Mikita planer ($400 Amazon) and the Rigid Jointer since I can pick it up at HD (and I havent read anything bad about it).

On the other hand, if I want to work with more hardwoods - which I do - seems these tools are indespensible. Am I right about that?

as you improve your skills, you will find that to get nice, ticght, close fitting joints the wood has to be dimensioned uniformly and the boards straight and flat, or you cannot achive these joints you want.

There's the justification. If you want flat, straight boards and uniform thickness to make nice furniture with clean joints, you need a jointer and a planer, period.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Hintz
      • Feb 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.

I agree that having a good jointer and planer will take you to the next step. Being able to straighten the wood and make sure all of the peices used for a project are the exact same thickness makes all aspects of building a project easier and more accurate. You also can make truely square AND parallel wood. see the link below for my story on that process that shows the use of each machine.
      Plus, being able to buy rough sawn wood and finish it yourself saves money and lets you create the exact dimensions you need for a job.
      I know they are expensive but since getting the jointer and planer in my shop, all of my work took a step up. I think they are a very good investment.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/squrstock.html
      Tom Hintz
      NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• softop41
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Plainfield, IL, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by steve_ma

I have the Ridgid TP1300L planer and have been very happy with the results. Like you, I asked this astute bunch of woodworkers and got valuable information. My son has the Dewalt 735 but I just couldn't justify the extra $$. The DeWalt is unquestionably at the top of the pile but I haven't been unhappy with my choice. It's a lot of bang for your planer buck!
        Jerry
        Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Tom covered the justification best. Rough sawn lumber is a lot cheaper than S3S or S4S. Often you can buy rough sawn 4/4 or 5/4 stock and mill it yourself and get thicker material than you would be able to buy if they milled it.

Additionally, the S3S or S4S stock you buy will often need additional milling to get it true.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

In several of the topics you'll find in the search I've listed out the math of how fast a jointer/planer can pay for themselves (it depends on the local prices of wood and varieties), but I am also the one that says......

NO, you do not NEED a jointer and planer. You can acheive the same results with a a hand plane. It just depends on what you want. The hand plane creates less dust and more of a workout, but the jointer/planer will reduce the time needed. So it's your call.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
              • Feb 2004
              • Concord, NC, USA.

I have reviews of several jointers and planers at the link below with photos and much more on the details of each. (scroll down to Jointers or Planers)
              I personally use the DeWalt 735 and love it, but we did review the Ridgid a while back and it is a very good machine, especially for the money.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html
              Tom Hintz
              NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The last page of the latest WOOD Magazine states that the next issue, due in about two months, will have a comparo test of thickness planers. If you're not in a hurry, you might want to wait for this issue. All magazine reviews must be taken with the proverbial granule of sodium chloride, of course, but I've generally found those in WOOD and Fine Woodworking to be fair and helpful.

That said, I predict the DW735 will win (it always does; then again, at $500, it ought to) with strong showings by the Delta and Ridgid.
                Larry

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

I highly recommend the Ridgid @ $350. It includes a stand, dust hood, extra set of knives AND does a very nice job. Oh and theres the life time warrenty thing.
                  I would not recommend the Dewalt 735 due only to pricing. The results are very nice, however lets look at the true cost :

$500 for the 735 Planer
                  $40 for the infeed and outfeed tables that are not included for some reason
                  $50.00 dust collection hood
                  $100 Dewalt mobile planer stand

$690 Total

You can buy a 15" Planer for Gizzly, Wilke, Shop Fox, etc for less than $800, a $100 difference. This difference gets you 3HP motor, 15" capacity, 675 lbs of iron, double v drive belts, etc.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Alot of people seem to do without them, and some won't even use them if they had them, but I find both a planer and a jointer in tandem to be indispensable. There's just not a better way to get flat square stock to a desired thickness than having your own dimension tools right there with you, and no two tools will do a better or more efficient job of it than those two.

There are several methods for edge jointing besides a jointer (router, TS, handplane), and a few for face jointing (handplane, planer w/sled, router/jig), but it can be time consuming in comparison. If I could only afford one of those two tools, I'd start with the planer.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• steve_ma
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Aug 2005

Thanks for all your comments. I read alot of good reviews about the Makita planer and some not so good reviews, surprisingly, about the Dewault (both on Amazon).

I tried jointing an edge with a router and didnt have much luck......

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

You can indeed joint with a router. There are 2 ways. 1 is on a router table, which will give results similar to that of a benchtop jointer, but with a limit to the width of stock you can joint. This requires that you tune up your router table quite a bit though also.

The 2nd way is by referencing off of an already straight edge, and flush trimming, or trimming using a collar. I've used this method with great success for jointing large long boards that I didn't feel comfortable handling on my jointer.

I have a jointer and planer (ryobi ap1300 - 160$ great deal) and use them often, they are a worthy investment depending upon the projects that you are going to be tackling.
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• WEG
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Nahant, MA.

Q: "Do I need a Jointer/Planer" -Steve_ma
                          A: "Yes" -WEG also _ma

Comment

Working...