• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

YADCFQ: Yet Another Dust Collection Fitting Question

I was allowed to move my shop stuff into the larger area of the basement. This means the FrankenVac wouldn't be optimum any longer as things are spread-out a little more. It would be better to have the gates at the tools. So I used some gates and some 2.5" hose and connected everything to my 12-gallon Shop-Vac.

Figuring I'd like some chip separation (12-gallon Shop-Vac can fill pretty quickly), my thoughts turned to this little cyclone I purchased on eBay a month or two ago. They are normally made for dentists offices to reclaim metals during drilling (so they can sell the gold--they aren't dumb). The company that makes them normally sells them for approx. $175, I got it for about $60. But unbeknownst to me at the time, the bottom flange had been mutilated, so no good way to attach to a bin. Argh!

So I cut the bottom 1/2" off and figured I'd find a way to connect it to a dust bin.

I noticed the OD of the cyclone is 6". So perhaps I could use a short piece of 6" flexible hose and a 6" hose clamp to make a connection. I would just need a short piece of hose, a clamp, and some sort of flange to connect to a small drum.

Any opinions on where I can get a short (9-12") length of 6" hose and a flange? I really don't want to purchase 10 feet of hose if I can avoid it.

Thanks!
    Phil
    Attached Files
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

The physical size, length, diameter, and slope of cyclones are critical design factors in determining the flow rate and cut point. I think the dentist one was designed for liquids, at that.

The ones for air and dust are usually physically quite large. when I worked in oil field equipment the cyclones were real small for removing sand and dirt cuttings from water/mud. we had multiple banks in parallel for handling the flow rate.

Hope it works for you.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      The physical size, length, diameter, and slope of cyclones are critical design factors in determining the flow rate and cut point. I think the dentist one was designed for liquids, at that.

The ones for air and dust are usually physically quite large. when I worked in oil field equipment the cyclones were real small for removing sand and dirt cuttings from water/mud. we had multiple banks in parallel for handling the flow rate.

Hope it works for you.
      I hope it works, too.

I originally had my eye on one of those Clear-Vue mini Shop-Vac cyclones. This one is about the same size and < 1/2 the price.

When I called the company that makes it, they told me they use them in their shop for their radial arm and table saws and sanding gear. They said they have lots of people using 'em for wood w/ Shop-Vacs.

I guess I'm gonna find out for sure. I'm only out $60 if it doesn't work.

Comment

• bigsteel15
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Edmonton, AB
        • Ryobi BT3100

I would be tempted to cut it off a little higher up from the bottom, cut a hole in a garbage can lid and hot glue the he&& out of it (epoxy may be better).
        Same thing with attaching adapter fittings to those connections.
        Brian

Welcome to the school of life
        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by bigsteel15
          I would be tempted to cut it off a little higher up from the bottom, cut a hole in a garbage can lid and hot glue the he&& out of it (epoxy may be better).
          Same thing with attaching adapter fittings to those connections.
          I have been tempted to do the same, but Loring is right, the overall length of the cyclone is an important design consideration. I don't want to mess it up. That top piece of PVC extends down into the cyclone by about six or seven inches, too.

I have discovered that I can shove a Shop-Vac hose coupler into the top and side connections, and then a Shop-Vac hose fits into them fine. So if I can find a short piece of 6" flexible hose, a flange, and a couple of clamps, I'll be all set to give the thing a shot.

Comment

• boblon
            • Aug 2003
            • Florida, USA.

Penn State has 1 foot sections of 6" hose for $5.50

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/d06.html

Is this what your looking for?

BobL.
            "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by boblon
              Penn State has 1 foot sections of 6" hose for $5.50

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/d06.html

Is this what your looking for?

BobL.
              Yep! :-)

I purchased at the Borg a 6" "starter" fitting for HVAC. With clamp it was about the same price as Penn State one you've found for me. If the Borg solution doesn't work I'll get the Penn State one.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...