Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Makita LS1221 12" Compound Miter Saw

Folks,

I need to get some opinion. I have a Makita 12" LS1221 Compound Miter Saw that I have used only once and just been sitting in the garage because I've been mainly using my TS to make cuts. I would like to upgrade to a 10" sliding CMS so that I can share blades between the TS and CMS.. I posted the Makita 12" CMS on craigslist asking for $250.00 and a guy called me and said that he is interested and will be picking it up tomorrow.. Should I go ahead and sell or should I hold on to this CMS.. This CMS is great except it is not a slider.. The CMS was accurate right out of the box.. Checked it with my oneway mutli gauge and it was dead on. Should I sell

Appreciate any feedback and opinion.
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • gimpy
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Flagstaff, AZ.
    • BT3100

Sounds to me like you made a deal? My thoughts only.

Frank
    Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

• ryan.s
      • Feb 2006
      • So Cal
      • Ridgid TS3650

I would sell it unless you do a lot of construction. I'm in the process of upgrading my CMS to a SCMS as well. Hopefully by tomorrow the Bosch 4410L will be in my shop. I currently have the ridgid 10" CMS that I'm thinking of selling. I'm debating if I should keep it and put a non ferrous metal cutting blade and use it as a dedicated aluminum cutting saw. But then again how often do I cut aluminum....but it sure is nice to have I guess when there are those times I do cut aluminum. Sorry, starting to think out loud.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • IL, USA.
        • DELTA 36-675

Gimpy made a good point.. If I was the guy that called, I would be upset if I get a phone call tomorrow from the seller backing out of the sale.. I'll go ahead and sell it for the sake of honor. A new one would for the same model would not be that much more. It looks like I can buy a Bosch 10" SCMS for $100.00 more.
        Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
          I would like to upgrade to a 10" sliding CMS so that I can share blades between the TS and CMS..
          Are you sure that you want to do this? Most table saw blades have a positive rake angle, whereas most SCMS blades have a negative rake angle.
          This thread may help.

The LS1013 is a great SCMS, but I don't think I'd use a table saw blade on mine.

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the LS1013, and it is a great saw. I have used both standard 60T Frued and negative hook sliding blades on it without issue. The neg hook blade cuts better, but is a higher quality frued line.

You should be fairly safe with a positive hook on a slider, but NOT with a neg hook on a TS.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• ryan.s
              • Feb 2006
              • So Cal
              • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
              Gimpy made a good point.. If I was the guy that called, I would be upset if I get a phone call tomorrow from the seller backing out of the sale.. I'll go ahead and sell it for the sake of honor. A new one would for the same model would not be that much more. It looks like I can buy a Bosch 10" SCMS for $100.00 more.
              Where did you see the bosch scms for $350? Are we talking new or used? If it's new and there's more than one I'd like to buy one as well. I've been tracking the 4410 for some time now and it hasn't moved much from the $470 that it's listed for on amazon.

Oops I think I just found the saw for around $350, you must be referring to the 3915?
              Last edited by ryan.s; 08-22-2006, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

The sharing of blades is of no value. The 12" should be all you need for woodworking plus it is easier to store and cotrol the dust. This all being true,You sold the saw. If he does not hold up his end then you can reconsider.
                Last edited by messmaker; 08-22-2006, 04:21 PM.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by messmaker
                  The sharing of blades is of no value. The 12" should be all you need for woodwork plus it is easier to store and cotrol the dust. This all being true,You sold the saw. If he does not hold up his end then you can reconsider.
                  Ditto on both points.

An ideal saw blade for a miter saw is not an ideal blade for a TS.

From a gentleman's point of view, you agreed to sell the saw and he agreed to buy it and is coming to pick it up. The only reason to break the agreement from his standpoint is if the saw is not as described and from your standpoint if he tries to pay less than agreed. While either of you can break the deal, you should not unless it's mutually agreed upon.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Holbren
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Heathrow, FL.

I sounds like it's too late but here is my two cents.

I have a Delta 12" CMS and a Makita LS1013L SCMS and I never use the Makita. Part of the reason is the Delta is on a Ridgid MSUV and easy to set up. I bought the makita mainly for cutting down stock but realized it's not a big deal with the 12" being I can just flip the stock over.

I think I will be selling my SCMS and would like to hear what people use them for that a 12" CMS can't do.
                    Brian
                    Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    www.holbren.com

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • IL, USA.
                      • DELTA 36-675

The guy "very nice guy" stopped by to pick up the saw. We ended up talking for a little bit Nice to chat with a fellow woodworker. He paid $250.00 for it.
                      Chris

Comment

• gimpy
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2004
                        • Flagstaff, AZ.
                        • BT3100

I am glad you talked and think he is a nice guy. I know you will/do feel better about selling it to him. You "may" have come out a little on the short end, moneywise (I have no idea), but in the end, it is only money, whereas, your integrity (honesty) is all you (we) have as a person and no one can take that away.

Again, I think you made the right decision. You deserve to feel good about yourself.

Frank
                        Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • IL, USA.
                          • DELTA 36-675

Financially I came out ahead because I bought the brand new CMS last year at Berlands for $199.00, Turned in the Makita mail in rebate for a B05010 Random Orbit Sander and sold it earlier this year for $55.00 since I already have an ROS.. Before posting on craigslist I research how much a new one would go for and decided to price out the CMS at $250.00 since the miter saw has only been used once.
                          Overall, I made $106.00 from this saw
                          Chris

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I use my TS set up with a 24T rip blade for ripping 1 1/2" and under. It gets use on mid-size panels also. The Makita SCMS gets the call on cross-cuts with a negative rake 60T. Cross-cutting and ripping over thick stock takes me to the Bandsaw.

There's benefits to having a SCMS, but inter-chaning blades with the TS is not one of them, IMO.

Regards...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by Holbren
                              I think I will be selling my SCMS and would like to hear what people use them for that a 12" CMS can't do.

Wish you were closer. Now, while a tablesaw blade and a scms or cms blade aren't the same, I don't mind using the cheap ones, when using construction lumber (getting ready to help frame my bil's basement). I have a 10" cms, and for me, a slider would be an upgrade.

That being said, I called a guy today, who I spoke to saturday on a drill press. It was at his work, so I set it up for today that he didn't have to go in on his day off. When I called and said I was on my way, he said it sold yesterday I was willing to pick it up saturday. Guess my old luck is back.

Glad you didn't treat him this way.
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...