How do you make these air-tight?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 4503
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

    #1

    How do you make these air-tight?

    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...82&cat=1,42401

    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1515

    I've seen various versions of these around. With these two particular types, I wonder how you connect the hoses such that they remain air tight. The holes don't seem to have shoulders, just a hole through the thin plastic. I don't know how you'd keep them air-tight.

    Anyone have one of these?

    Thanks,
    Phil
  • LCHIEN
    Super Moderator
    • Dec 2002
    • 22085
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

    #2
    Originally posted by cgallery
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...82&cat=1,42401

    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1515

    I've seen various versions of these around. With these two particular types, I wonder how you connect the hoses such that they remain air tight. The holes don't seem to have shoulders, just a hole through the thin plastic. I don't know how you'd keep them air-tight.

    Anyone have one of these?

    Thanks,
    Phil
    Most often the hose ends are slightly tapered. The suction in the system will pull the hoses in and keep 'em tight.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      I had one a while back and the lid was tight, and the hoses fit as tight as if they were pushed into the shop vac hole. They didn't leak. Maybe I got lucky.



      "I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

      Comment

      • bigsteel15
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 1079
        • Edmonton, AB
        • Ryobi BT3100

        #4
        I have both sizes of the LV units.
        Loring is right about the hose ends being tapered, but what I did on my 4" unit hooked to my DC is turned the hose directly into the lid.
        Either way, even with the smaller unit and shop-vac, there is never an issue about airtight.
        My shop-vac actually sucks the garbage can in when it's turned on.
        Brian

        Welcome to the school of life
        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

        Comment

        • Lee4847
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 200
          • Canton, Oh
          • BT3100

          #5
          I was pondering the same thing. I bought a lid from Rocklers a few weeks ago and have been looking at it thinking their has to be a good way to hold the hose in the top. I was thinking of using silicone to seal/glue the hoses in there.

          And what about the top to the can? I was thinking I would get some foam weather seal.
          Cut twice.... measure??

          Comment

          • bigsteel15
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 1079
            • Edmonton, AB
            • Ryobi BT3100

            #6
            Originally posted by Lee4847
            I was pondering the same thing. I bought a lid from Rocklers a few weeks ago and have been looking at it thinking their has to be a good way to hold the hose in the top. I was thinking of using silicone to seal/glue the hoses in there.

            And what about the top to the can? I was thinking I would get some foam weather seal.
            Not really necessary for the small units on a shop-vac.
            Believe me when I tell you that you won't need to seal it when the shop-vac is on. On the 4" for DC, not a bad idea as the suction isn't as great.

            BTW, I've looked at the Rockler one (ShopFox and Busy Bee have same unit) and personally think the LV is better quality.
            Brian

            Welcome to the school of life
            Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

            Comment

            Working...