Advanced Auto $88 Air Compressor? Any Good?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonBoy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2005
    • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Advanced Auto $88 Air Compressor? Any Good?

http://advanceauto.shoplocal.com/adv...pagenumber%3d7

Anyone ever use this? Considering updrading my slow and tiny 2 gallon I got at walmart. I need something that will work with a roofing nailer. I just need something that will keep up at a slow pace wont be shooting 3 nails a second or anything.
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

#s on it are plenty strong.It is compact, so storage would be easy. The price is right.I guess build quality is the only unknown
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• JonBoy
      Established Member
      • Sep 2005
      • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Sequential trip trigger Air requirement: 12 CFM @ 90 PSI

Sequential trip trigger Air requirement: 12 CFM @ 90 PSI

OK i read this is the requirements for a similar air nailer. With the smaller air compressor work if I am going at a slow pace? I have seen people roofing a house and shooting nails about as fast as they could move there hand prob 10+ shingles a min guessing. I dont think that I could do more than 5 or 6 in a min but then would take a min to get moved and the next 5-6 shingles ready. Considering what I have said is the air compressor good enought? Also I only have about 6-7 square of shingles to put down. I did the first half with a hammer and NOT doing the front that way.
      Last edited by JonBoy; 08-18-2006, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I'm assuming you checked your local codes, but in some areas, you can't use air/staples or nails.

As far as size for roofing, the nailers and staplers only use a short quick blast of air, not a lot of consumption. Recovery is fairly fast.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Don't know anything about the AA compressor, but I've been pretty happy with my little HF compressor......I also know if there's a problem that their return policy is excellent.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

I have had this compressor from HF for about 3 years and it's been great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

I know that a number of others on the forum have the same unit, because they recommended it to me. I think that I got mine for $105 from one of their sale papers. If I recall correctly, it goes on sale fairly often.

Good luck.
            Bill

Comment

• Stick
              • Sep 2003
              • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
              • BT3100

The bigger the tank, the easier it is. Last roof I did was with my old 17 gallon 2hp compressor. I could pretty much just hold the trigger and go to it. I could place the shingles and nail faster than the helper could haul up more. Compressor caught up when I had to replace the coil of nails. I've done others with my big old monster compressor with its 250 gallon tank. Only ran once or twice the whole job. But, having said all that, a small compressor should work fine, especially if you're working alone.

Comment

• JonBoy
                Established Member
                • Sep 2005
                • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Havent used it much but I did buy the $88 air compressor. Also bought a Porter Cable RN175 roofing nailer (ebay) for $69. Will just resale the nailer after the job is done. Anyway I am very happy with it the compressor. It auto cuts off at 115psi and back on at 75 or 80psi. it only takes about 30 seconds to recharge. I was told when I bought it that they have sold several and have only had 2 returned one for unknown reasons and one because they didnt put oil in it before running.

Comment

• JonBoy
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2005
                  • Hampstead, NC, USA.

Is a rubber air hose better than plastic? other than just being more flexable?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JonBoy
                    Is a rubber air hose better than plastic? other than just being more flexable?
                    for me its the flexibility, esp. when it gets cool.
                    A plastic or poly hose when it gets below about 50 degrees F
                    is just unmanagable.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      for me its the flexibility, esp. when it gets cool.
                      A plastic or poly hose when it gets below about 50 degrees F
                      is just unmanagable.
                      Good point about the temp. Last summer I had a problem on the other side of the sprectrum. I grabbed a $20 poly hose from Lowe's to do our roof. It was hot enough last July that the outer layer of the hose blistered in two places. We had to start taking the hose down every time we took a break.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...