Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Reinventing the Wheel

Or at least the wheel lift.

As I mentioned in another thread, I built the Wood magazine mobile base for my bandsaw. I used a modified version of it on the HF 6" jointer that I recently sold and for Ginger's lathe table. The one thing I have never liked about the design is the way the cam lift lever operates, especially if it is on the end of the base and under part of the tool like on the jointer.

Since I have to make a new base/stand for the Rockwell Delta 8" jointer, I decided to figure out a better method to set the casters. I have also been wanting to get away from the stock caster configuration on my BT, so I decided that would be the 'victim'.

My original idea was to have the casters on a fixed plate and the leveling legs mounted on the hinged plate, passing through a slotted hole in the fixed plate. A couple of coil springs slipped over the shaft between the plates would lift the legs out of the way when the tool was in mobile mode. Problem I found was that the leveling leg shaft would need to be 3" or more long to allow enough movement and space for the springs.

Another trip to the drawing board (work table, actually, since this was design on the fly!) and I came up with a workable design. The prototype was cut from 3/4 MDF with no attempt to make it 'pretty', just to test the feasability. The final product will be made from Maple. The block for the cam lever swivel pin will 2 face glued layers of either 1/2" Maple stock with the grain at 90 degrees to add strength, or 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. I think either way will work.

Caster pedal in up position.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Caster Lift 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	789380

Caster pedal down and the saw lifted. I put a flat on the lever past the high spot on the cam lobe that 'locks' it in the down position.

Name:	Caster Lift 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	789381

To make sure it was easy to operate, I had Ginger lift it on and off the casters both from the end of the saw and standing behind it. Even with the back and ankle problems she has, she had no trouble lifting the saw.

Name:	Caster Lift 3.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	789382

Now I need to call my contact at Darnell-Rose and order 4 more swivel casters. I will make the lifts for the BT but won't mount them until the new casters arrive. That way, if there is a delay (They are custom assembled to order), I can get started on the base for the jointer.

Comment, good or bad, to the design are welcomed.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Looks good.

Nice frilly pants leg there Pappy.

EDIT...Did I mention my foot fettish? JK
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Do you have plan/ drawings to make those? That's exacly what I'm looking for.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

No drawings or plans yet to my version. I will take some pictures during construction of the next one and provide at least some sketches. The dimensions have to be adjusted to fit the tool and the casters you use.

The original plans for the base are from Wood magazine.

Name:	Mobile base.JPG
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	779631
        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Pappy
          Or at least the wheel lift.

As I mentioned in another thread, I built the Wood magazine mobile base for my bandsaw. I used a modified version of it on the HF 6" jointer that I recently sold and for Ginger's lathe table. The one thing I have never liked about the design is the way the cam lift lever operates, especially if it is on the end of the base and under part of the tool like on the jointer.

Since I have to make a new base/stand for the Rockwell Delta 8" jointer, I decided to figure out a better method to set the casters. I have also been wanting to get away from the stock caster configuration on my BT, so I decided that would be the 'victim'.

My original idea was to have the casters on a fixed plate and the leveling legs mounted on the hinged plate, passing through a slotted hole in the fixed plate. A couple of coil springs slipped over the shaft between the plates would lift the legs out of the way when the tool was in mobile mode. Problem I found was that the leveling leg shaft would need to be 3" or more long to allow enough movement and space for the springs.

Another trip to the drawing board (work table, actually, since this was design on the fly!) and I came up with a workable design. The prototype was cut from 3/4 MDF with no attempt to make it 'pretty', just to test the feasability. The final product will be made from Maple. The block for the cam lever swivel pin will 2 face glued layers of either 1/2" Maple stock with the grain at 90 degrees to add strength, or 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. I think either way will work.

Caster pedal in up position.
          [ATTACH]2355[/ATTACH]

Caster pedal down and the saw lifted. I put a flat on the lever past the high spot on the cam lobe that 'locks' it in the down position.
          [ATTACH]2356[/ATTACH]

To make sure it was easy to operate, I had Ginger lift it on and off the casters both from the end of the saw and standing behind it. Even with the back and ankle problems she has, she had no trouble lifting the saw.
          [ATTACH]2357[/ATTACH]

Now I need to call my contact at Darnell-Rose and order 4 more swivel casters. I will make the lifts for the BT but won't mount them until the new casters arrive. That way, if there is a delay (They are custom assembled to order), I can get started on the base for the jointer.

Comment, good or bad, to the design are welcomed.
          Why not just bolt that visible assembly to the BT base, and put fixed casters at the other end. And not do a full base?
          When you lift the end with the assembly, non-swivelling casters at the other end will be stationary.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

That is neat Pappy. It looks like it will work great. I need to try one myself.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Looks good, Don. I might have been tempted to make the lever arm longer, but you say it works well as is. I like the little flat spot idea.

You've got another clever implemtation there!

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Why not just bolt that visible assembly to the BT base, and put fixed casters at the other end. And not do a full base?
              When you lift the end with the assembly, non-swivelling casters at the other end will be stationary.
              The original design is sort of like that, Loring (see the pic in Pappy's second post). Pappy likes to have the ability to turn the whole assembly in its own space, though, for added maneuverability.

JR
              JR

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Loring, JR hit it. I want the maneuverability of swivels on all 4 corners. Won't be a full base under the BT, but a lift rig likie you see bolted to both ends.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• RodKirby
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                  • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Clever man, Pappy. Nice "clean" solution.
                  Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• davidtu
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Seattle, WA
                    • BT3100

This is great, Pappy! When you are done w/ the pics and final write-up why not submit to be posted as a permanent "article" so we can find it easily for the future?
                    Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Nice Design. Are you using hinges to attach the board with casters to the frame? Could you post a picture of the attachment?

It would be nice to attach a long removable wagon style handle above the center cam so that the saw can be pulled like a kids a wagon.
                      Last edited by Uncle Hook; 08-15-2006, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...