• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Need help rewiring motor.

I just picked up a 1 HP Rockwell electric motor today at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. The motor runs fine but I want to update the cord on it since it's showing some wear. The original cord is an older 2 prong plug. I'm thinking of getting one of those tool replacement cords from HD rated for 15amps with a 3 prong plug. Where would I attach the ground wire on the motor? Should I just not connect the ground wire on the new cord?

Thanks!
  • sbs
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • VA
    • BT3.1k

Originally posted by ryan.s
    I just picked up a 1 HP Rockwell electric motor today at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. The motor runs fine but I want to update the cord on it since it's showing some wear. The original cord is an older 2 prong plug. I'm thinking of getting one of those tool replacement cords from HD rated for 15amps with a 3 prong plug. Where would I attach the ground wire on the motor? Should I just not connect the ground wire on the new cord?

Thanks!
    Attach the ground to the case using either an existing screw or a sheet metal screw.

Comment

• Rslaugh
      • Sep 2003
      • Punta Gorda, FL, USA.
      • None right now

I wouldn't drill a new hole for a sheet metal screw unless you know exactly what's on the other side of the intended hole.
      Rick
      IG: @rslaugh_photography
      A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
      And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
      ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sbs
        Attach the ground to the case using either an existing screw or a sheet metal screw.
        exactly!

or, in a pinch anywhere on the metal frame of the tool if the motor is firmly bolted to it.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ryan.s
          • Feb 2006
          • So Cal
          • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...