• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyF
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2003
    • Victoria, Texas, USA.

Another angle gauge

Gadgets can be neat. This one looks useful.

It's a digital angle gauge. What's neat is that you can zero it at any angle.

Andy
    Attached Files
  • boblon
    • Aug 2003
    • Florida, USA.

Looks kind of interesting. I wonder what effect, if any, not having the horizontal surface your referencing from perfectly level will have?

Did you order one? Would be interested in a review, or if it's just a gimmick.

BobL.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• AndyF
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2003
      • Victoria, Texas, USA.

Originally posted by boblon
      Looks kind of interesting. I wonder what effect, if any, not having the horizontal surface your referencing from perfectly level will have?
      I'd think if you can zero the device at any angle so it displays the change of angle, having a level surface shouldn't be an issue.

Originally posted by boblon
      Did you order one? Would be interested in a review, or if it's just a gimmick.

I haven't ordered one. It's on my list of things I'd like have. I can think of other uses besides tool setup. (Like setting up science experiments for my son.)

Andy

Comment

• MilDoc

Ordered one Friday, got it today (Monday)! Great service!

Given that I wear bifocals and still can't see worth beans, great device!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by MilDoc
          Ordered one Friday, got it today (Monday)! Great service!

Given that I wear bifocals and still can't see worth beans, great device!
          So, how (well) does it work?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I just ordered one, too. Looks brilliant.

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Looks like it's a combination of digital caliper and inclinometer. It seems like it would need some amount of vertical orientation (i.e. you definitely can't lay it flat).

From the website:
              --
              How does it read?
              All of our readouts use what's called capacitive measuring technology. This is the exact same system that is used in almost all digital calipers that have been on the market for at least 20 years. There is a circuit board on a rotating counterweight that has a repeating pattern etched on it. There is a second fixed circuit board with a similar pattern and the rest of the electronics. As the 2 patterns pass over each other there is an electronic signal generated that is converted to rotation angle. The only moving part is the circuit board with counterweight passing over the fixed circuit board. There is no electrical connection between the 2 circuits boards and they do not even touch each other. There are no other mechanical moving parts.
              --

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

• MilDoc

I tested it at 90 deg (easy to do), at 45 deg (with an Inca 45 deg), and at 22.5 deg with a "guaranteed" 22.5 deg angle. Right on every time. Like all digitals, it is "touchy." But it appears to be accurate and a lot easier for me to read.

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

I tested it at 90 deg (easy to do), at 45 deg (with an Inca 45 deg), and at 22.5 deg with a "guaranteed" 22.5 deg angle. Right on every time. Like all digitals, it is "touchy." But it appears to be accurate and a lot easier for me to read.
                  [Edited because I had a lot of wrong #'s].

I got mine today and I like it. I used my Starrett 12" combination square head to test it. I put both on a flat surface and zeroed the gauge. Then I put it on top of the 45-degree bevel and it measured 44.8-degrees. I did the same test on a Shars 6" and got same. I did some other tests and always got what I expected. Will be very handy for setting the blade on the saw (which I checked and it didn't need any adjustment, 89.9-degrees).
                  Last edited by cgallery; 08-14-2006, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Holbren
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Heathrow, FL.

Do you need a level surface to zero it out and create a point of reference?
                    Brian
                    Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    www.holbren.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Holbren
                      Do you need a level surface to zero it out and create a point of reference?
                      You need a FLAT surface to set as a reference. It need NOT be level with the horizon or a bubble level although you can do so.

The sort of intended use would be to set the indicator on your table saw surface and set the zero. Now your reference is the table. You attach the indicator to the saw blade using the integral magnet in the base and
                      it should read 90° if you have your blade vertical (that's how you check.)
                      Then you can incline the blade and read the angle to the surface of the table. Or you can set the zero with the indicator on the blade at 90° and when you tilt the blade it will read deviation from vertical.

Like wise you can set:
                      Jointer fence angle relative to the bed
                      Drill press table relative to the bit
                      Compound Miter saw tilt angle relative to the base, BUT NOT the miter angle (because it's in the wrong plane).
                      Benchtop Disk sander table angle relative to the disk face

etc.

P.S. I just got mine and it works fine. I showed it to another woodworker/mechanical engineer at work and he ordered two on the spot.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MBG
                        • Apr 2003
                        • Chicago, Illinois.
                        • Craftsman 21829

[quote=LCHIEN]

Like wise you can set:
                        Compound Miter saw tilt angle relative to the base, BUT NOT the miter angle (because it's in the wrong plane).
                        [quote]

If this gauge is as good as mentioned above it might just be worth it to set up the miter angle at 0 (and maybe check the detents) on a CMS by standing it on end!

Comment

Working...