• Show
Clear All
  • mikeg
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Milton, VT
    • BT3100

Couple of HF tool questions

Got a HF catalog yesterday. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a HF router speed control on a bench grinder. It says that it would work with any universal ac/dc brush type motor. Does a grinder use that type of motor?

Also, anybody ever use one of their rodent chaser windmills? Do they work? I've got moles and chipmunks I'd like to get rid of and also a dog and kids that I don't want to poision.

thanks,
    mikeg
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Every bench grinder I've ever seen uses an induction motor. An external speed control won't work with these; as you say, they're for universal motors only.

I've not tried HF's windmills but have tried others. They help a little, I guess. They don't solve the problem completely, though. At least not in our yard.
    Larry

Comment

• wassaw998
      • Jul 2004
      • Atlanta, GA, USA.

How about their (HF) live animal cage for the animals? I also have a chipmunk , gona try that cage they have. I know a friend who caught a chipmunk in one (he was trying to catch a racoon) - which I suppose is the "catch" on those, you never know what you may find in the cage...

Not sure about the mole, don't they (like Borg) sell some sort of mole stuff that u put in their tunnels?
      Chris

Comment

• WayneJ
        • Jan 2004
        • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

You have toi be careful with those traps.A skunk will also go in one. Getting a skunk out of the trap can be a real adventure. DAMHIKT

Wayne
        Wayne J

Comment

• wassaw998
          • Jul 2004
          • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Originally posted by WayneJ
          You have toi be careful with those traps.A skunk will also go in one. Getting a skunk out of the trap can be a real adventure. DAMHIKT

Wayne

That really stinks ! I think they have a small one, not sure how small it really is, I was hoping maybe it would be too small for something like a skunk or a racoon, or a BEAR !
          Chris

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Mikeg

This was a post that may help you make up your mind about your wildlife problem. It was titled German Shepherd VS Louie The Squirrel.

This is about German Shepherds, I've had 'em all my life. My greatest shop dog was a German Shepherd named Beau. He was 115 lbs and had him trained dual personality. A magnificient friend that lived to be 14 yrs old, and died in my arms. His stealth and valor was proven one morning when I entered the shop and found blood all over the floor and window sill in the front of the building. There was also blood all over the sidewalk outside the window. The window was broken and I checked Beau for cuts, and he didn't have any. Called the police and they determined that Beau nailed someone that broke in, chased him out the broken window, and came back into the building. Gave him an attaboy that day.

I now have two German Shepherds at home and the smaller one 80 lbs, is a voracious hunter. Her name is Shadow and she has an ongoing bout with a squirrel we named Louie. Louie is one smart squirrel. We had a hanging bird feeder from a tree limb, that Louie would scurry down the rope, get food, and climb back up. Well, I fixed that by hanging that birdfeeder from monofilament and put grease on the line. We watched from the house as Louie started down the monofilament and slid down and crashed into the roof of the bird feeder. He tried to get back up but couldn't get a grip, and we were roaring with laughter. Shadow was below the feeder just barking and waiting for Louie to fall. He didn't have any choice but to jump to the ground. Lot of loose dirt flying and Louie ran around the tree with Shadow inches behind, lost his footing and shadow won. I called her out and put her in the house. Went out to see Louie, and he wasn't moving. Got a shovel and went over to take care of Louie, but he was gone (played dead).

Our back yard has netted kills for Shadow beyond belief. She has picked off low flying birds (2), one possum, one iguana (2ft long), and several snakes. She's in the process of mentoring our other Shepherd Katie (98 lbs) in hunting techniques.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=22820
              just discussed in the last day or 2
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mikeg
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2006
                • Milton, VT
                • BT3100

Got a mutt. She's 65# and not a very good hunter. She's gotten one mole in the 2 1/2 years we've had her but that's about it.

mikeg

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Russell, NY, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Like WASSAW998's answer; get a small live trap! Where I live I am absolutely overrun w/ chipmunks. So far this year I've caught 25 of the little critters. Just bait it with black sunflower seeds; they just cannot resist them. When releasing them I take them down the road (I live in the country) anout a mile and let them go. They won't travel that far to come back; but when another finds an empty spot they will move in-hence the large quanity I seem to have. A bigger trap doesn't seem to work too well as they are like a field mouse, they can get thru a very small opening. If u did have a larger trap and happen to catch a skunk, cover the live trap with a cloth of somekind that covers the whole thing. This will calm them down enough to take the trap-skunk and all and go pretty far from home before you let it go. They are wanderers. Caught one couple of days ago while trying to catch a racoon. Only a little fellow, which made me wonder if he would spray since he had plenty of room to move around. Covered him with a big towel I had in the shop, loaded trap and all in the back of the Gator and took him about 2 miles from home. When I opened the trap I was expecting most anything, but all he did was poke his head out and then made a bee-line for the brush at the side of the road. Anyway good luck in your new trapping career. Moist cat food works well for bait for skunks and racoons. Have fun!
                  RuffSawn
                  Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

You don't need a 65+ lb dog, just a 9# cat. The girls love her and she seems like a sweet animal. I am glad I am not a small animal. I could fill a trashcan with the partially eaten remains that show up on my door step. I pity the mouse,mole or bird that wanders near my house. My other daughters small dog lives in fear of his life and seems most at ease when I bring in a new bag of cat food.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• BrazosJake
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Benbrook, TX.
                      • Emerson-built Craftsman

FWIW, Summer's Eve does a great job defuming skunk scent on dogs, clothing, and people, for that matter. Learned that when my Brit tangled with a stink kitty.

Be prepared for strange looks, though, when you checkout at the store with a basket-full of feminine hygiene products.

Comment

• mikeg
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Milton, VT
                        • BT3100

In VT it is illegal to transmit wild animals due to rabies. We don't have a lot of rabies in the area but that's the law.

Also, we can't have a cat since I'm very allergic to them.

thanks for the advice though guys.

mikeg

Comment

Working...