Ryobi 2HP Plunge Router

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • 1818
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

    #1

    Ryobi 2HP Plunge Router

    I know Ryobi get's beaten up for a lot of their tools, and granted they aren't as nice as the higher end ones available. However, I'm looking to put my PC 7539 (a monster, and very unwieldy) in a dedicated table and need something lighter and easy to use for hand routing. I've owned the Ryobi sold by HD for $99 before, and found it to be fine for what I was using it for. I didn't have any issues, and think that a lot of the features are placed extremely well. However, now that I would like to move into more detailed/ advanced projects I'm concerned about the quality of the unit soley from the lack of mention it gets on the forum. I had virtually no issues with the router, but is there something I'm missing? Are there things I won't be able to do with it that another router can? I like that it has variable speed, but would the single speed Hitachi kit on sale at Rockler be a better choice?

    Any insight is appreciated.
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • 3338
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

    #2
    Well, not to go more expensive on you, but I've not found a router I like more than the Bosch 1617 for hand held use. The ryobi isn't bad, until you use something really good for comparison. I personally don't care for the Hitachi plunge on their smaller routers.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

    Comment

    • LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • 6693
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

      #3
      Recognizing that it's not the question you asked, +1 on what Keith said about the Bosch. It is hands-down the best dual-base kit out there. For plunge only, I also have a DeWalt DW621 and would have to say it's my favorite handheld router. But for two-base versatility, something you might want even with a dedicated table router, the Bosch is the one to get.

      I've looked at the Hitachi kit in stores, and it is the last two-base kit I'd buy. The fixed base is a near-identical clone of the Porter-Cable 690 series, which is not a bad thing considering the Hitachi's typically low-ball price, but the plunge action of the plunge base is TERRIBLE. Easily the worst in its class.

      As regards the Ryobi, I've no experience with it, but if it gave you good service and did everything you needed it to, well, you're probably in a better position to make that call than the rest of us. (I guess that's no help, but it's all I got ... sorry.)
      Larry

      Comment

      • BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • 1818
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

        #4
        What does a fixed base router give you that a plunge doesn't? What are the necessary things to look for in a quality router? The Ryobi has a very smooth plunge opperation- but are there other concerns? The Bosh kit is twice as much as the Ryobi alone. I'm not saying I can't save up to get it, but I'm also just building up my workshop to seriously get into WW and the $100 can be used elsewhere if I don't need to spend it...

        And don't apologize- any information is better than no information!

        Comment

        • LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • 6693
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

          #5
          Many (most?) people like the two-base kits because they can put the fixed base in a table and use the more versatile plunge base for all handheld work. Since you have a dedicated table router, a plunge-only will do just fine for your handheld work. Note that I said my DW621, a plunge-only model, is my overall favorite for handheld.

          Still, you can often buy the two-base kits for barely any more money than a plunge-only model. For most operations you'd probably use the fixed base because its a little smaller, lighter, less bulky than the plunge base, which is generally only needed for "inside" cuts.

          But, again: two bases aren't necessary. And definitely less so in your case since you have a table router.

          Features to look for: a 1/2" collet first and foremost, followed by variable speed and soft-start (typically found together), and just an overall good feel and comfortable ergonomics. In the case of a plunge router, a light and smooth action to the springs is obviously important.

          I can't speak for Keith, but I only mentioned the Bosch because you asked about the two-base Hitachi kit. My thought there was that if you're going to spend more to get a two-base kit, spend just a little bit more and get the best one currently out there (I paid ~$145 for my Bosch 1617EVSPKE kit from amazon.com, a deal that doesn't come around all that often but is well worth waiting for, if you don't need the router right away).

          But I do hear you about that extra hunnert bucks. Given your previous good experience with the Ryobi, I personally think that'd be a good solution for you, all things considered.
          Last edited by LarryG; 08-01-2006, 12:46 PM.
          Larry

          Comment

          • Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • 3152
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

            #6
            Or you can try for this.... I got mine for $114 shipped if I recall and now have alot of possibilities.

            http://cgi.ebay.com/RYOBI-PEAK-2-HP-...QQcmdZViewItem

            honestly, If I had the extra $100 right now, I'd pick this one up for spare parts and an extra motor.
            Last edited by Russianwolf; 08-01-2006, 02:31 PM.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

            If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

            Comment

            • LCHIEN
              Super Moderator
              • Dec 2002
              • 22085
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

              #7
              Let me just add my 2 cents worth. A fine router like the Bosch 1617evspk
              is worth the money its costs. When you use it, the feel and precision is obvious. I guess there have been a couple of switch problems (hoepfully resolved) but there have been no problems I've ever heard of with collets, or depth mechanism slipping, the motor is siky smooth and its easy to handle, I think especially with the fixed base which is smaller and more handy than the plunge (one reason you may want a router with both) A lot of the time you don't need the plunge action when handholding.

              If you've never driven a BMW you probably don't know what you're missing. Altho the ratio is about the same (BMW:regular car = 2:1 = Bosch:Ryobi) the dollar amount difference for you is only $100 or so rather than $30,000 for the BMW, so maybe you could splurge a little.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

              Comment

              • messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • 1495
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

                #8
                Take a look on E-Bay. You can pick up a high quality router for about $100. You can get a Hitachi,Milwaukee or PC fixed base for about $75 if you look around. The Hitachi is fine in it's fixed base form. It is (very) quiet,powerful and sturdy.You coud do worse.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

                Comment

                • drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 3338
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

                  #9
                  I also have 2 of they ryobi multi-base kits, picked them up during close out for about 50$ a piece. They function, but I replaced one with my Bosch, and I'm thinking of replacing the other soon.

                  The Hitachi is quite nice in the fixed base, I think it's a great choice for a dedicated dovetail router. But if you are going to have only 1 router in your shop, I think it should be the Bosch.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

                  Comment

                  • vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • 1428
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

                    #10
                    I have that single speed Hitachi kit and I love it. True that fixed base is similar to P-C 690. It is by design - Hitachi made sure that every P-C accessory for 690 fits this router, so you will have no problems finding any extras. This router is the quitest in class. I am OK with plunge action too - needed to get used to a release lever operation. My other plunge router (M12V now lives in a table) has a lock lever - you use the lever to lock it when you want to make sure router does not plunge. This one has release lever - router is always locked. You need to release it to plunge. I think that is what Larry missed in a store.
                    As for single speed - I have a dedicated router in a table. This kit is for hand use only. For hand use you are only supposed to use small bits - no panel raizers. Small bits usually means high speed - so lack of variable speed does not bother. Theoretically there may be exceptions - for instance you may want to slow the router down when making deep mortices even with small bit because of heat dissipation inside the mortice. Or take some breaks in the middle. I have not regreted lack of VS so far. I don't have much experience with Ryobi routers, but I have a fixed base craftsman made by Ryobi. Compared to Hitachi - it is a POS. Ryobi dual base kit costs about same money as Craftsman fixed base. No more Craftsman for me.
                    Last edited by vaking; 08-02-2006, 03:56 PM.
                    Alex V

                    Comment

                    • LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • 6693
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

                      #11
                      Originally posted by vaking
                      You need to release it to plunge. I think that is what Larry missed in a store.
                      No, I didn't miss that. I'm aware that some plunge bases have a lever that must be operated to release the lock and plunge the router; others have a lever that is released by default and is operated to lock the plunge depth.

                      The problem with the Hitachi is that the springs are about twice as stiff as the best routers in this class, requiring a lot more brute force to make the plunge and also making small changes more difficult. Compare it to the light, silky-smooth action of the class-leading DeWalt or the near-second Bosch and you'll see what I mean.
                      Larry

                      Comment

                      • BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • 1818
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

                        #12
                        So it seems like Bosch is recomended as a way to go. Has anyone tried the factory refurbs? There's a site online selling them at about $40-$50 less than new....

                        Comment

                        • eezlock
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 997
                          • Charlotte,N.C.
                          • BT3100

                          #13
                          Ryobi router

                          Originally posted by BigguyZ
                          I know Ryobi get's beaten up for a lot of their tools, and granted they aren't as nice as the higher end ones available. However, I'm looking to put my PC 7539 (a monster, and very unwieldy) in a dedicated table and need something lighter and easy to use for hand routing. I've owned the Ryobi sold by HD for $99 before, and found it to be fine for what I was using it for. I didn't have any issues, and think that a lot of the features are placed extremely well. However, now that I would like to move into more detailed/ advanced projects I'm concerned about the quality of the unit soley from the lack of mention it gets on the forum. I had virtually no issues with the router, but is there something I'm missing? Are there things I won't be able to do with it that another router can? I like that it has variable speed, but would the single speed Hitachi kit on sale at Rockler be a better choice?

                          Any insight is appreciated.
                          Not trying to necessarly trying to change your mind here....I have 5 routers
                          the one that I like the best is the Dewalt 616 I have two bases for it.
                          This thing is powerful, works great and NO complaints so far. eezlock

                          Comment

                          Working...