• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

paging loring: jet mortiser question

Seems like I recall that you have a Jet mortiser?

I got a good deal on a used Jet mortiser but for the life of me I can't figure out how to unscrew the chuck. The manual says that to attach the spindle extension "Place an open wrench on the flat part of the motor spindle. Use the chuck key to unscrew and remove the chuck."

Okay, the flat part of the spindle I got, and the chuck key I got, and I've tried turning the chuck with the key all the way CCW and all the way CW but ain't no chuck coming loose. Alright, I admit it, I'm a nincompoop (sp). Please educate me about how to go about getting the chuck off.

Thanks,
    J
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I think you'll find that what that means is to not use the key to turn the jaws round, but to use as a lever to unscrew the chuck. In other words, you're turning the key in a vertical plane, whereas you need to turn it in a horizontal plane. May need a tap to get it started. HTH

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• jwaterdawg
      • Aug 2005
      • Washington, NC USA
      • JET

Doh! Now why couldn't they just say that. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
      Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I never have had a reason to remove the chuck, but what Ray says sounds right.
        Use the chuck key as you would a second wrench, as if you were loosening the collet on a router.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sneezer17301
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2004

don't use the toothed end of the chuck key use the handle end. the shank usually is the exact size of the three little holes and you can get more leverage that way and not risk breaking any of the teeth. Another way to do it would be to clamp a 3/8 allen wrench in the jaws. and then use that as your second wrench. Use it the long way and put a 3/8 box end on the shank
          or a pipe on the "ell"

Comment

Working...