Finally got a planer!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mikeg
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • 81
    • Milton, VT
    • BT3100

    #1

    Finally got a planer!!

    Well, just got a planer for my anniversary. I got a NIB Delta TP400LS from Amazon with dust collecter, spare set of blades and stand for $210. With shipping it was $275. I'm hoping to get a $25 coupon due to a promotion they were running though, called customer support and waiting to hear back.

    This is my first planer and I haven't used one since wood shop in high school over 25 years ago but I was pleased with what it did to the 2x4. As you can see, I do need to get an adapter for my shopvac though. A DC is in my future, maybe my birthday in a couple months.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Planer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	789339

    mikeg
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #2
    Congratulations on the planer. If you also have a jointer, you're one lucky guy. Actually with a planer, you can save a lot by getting wood in the rough, no more BORG. Great machine, makes a mess.



    "I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

    Comment

    • LCHIEN
      Super Moderator
      • Dec 2002
      • 22085
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

      #3
      these might help you:





      The file is http:/users2.ev1.net/~lchien/woodworking/planer_height_adj.xls
      if you want to modify it. The Delta 22-560 is the TP400 now.
      I stuck this on the side of my Planer.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-30-2006, 04:10 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

      Comment

      • bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • 1227
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

        #4
        Congratulations


        Mike

        "It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

        Comment

        • drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • 3338
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

          #5
          It's great to have a planer, I'm happy for ya, now work on the DC. Planers make an awful mess. Jointers too, but the DC on a jointer is usually really good.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

          Comment

          • Kristofor
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2004
            • 1331
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

            #6
            I second that. My planer was the tool that worked the worst with a shop vac for collection. Trying to go that route seemed to clog or leave "droppings" that would degrade the quality of the cut.

            Leaving the dust collection adapter off worked fairly well... If I didn't mind a spray pattern that was literally 15'x20'. Hooking up a real DC was the best choice for me ultimately.

            However, you have a different model with a port that's not 90 degrees off from the path the machine throws shavings so yours may work fine with just a shop-vac.

            Kristofor.

            Comment

            • mikeg
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2006
              • 81
              • Milton, VT
              • BT3100

              #7
              Loring,

              Thanks for posting the chart, putting it on the side of the planer is a good idea.

              Kristofor,

              The shop vac is definitely a short term solution. Fortunately, it's a 16 gallon once so if any has a chance to keep up, I figure it'll be that one.

              Cabinetman,

              I don't have a jointer yet, it's on my short list though. I'm thinking a 6" (not a benchtop though) since, with a 13x16 workshop, I don't have room for an 8". I also need to get a DC, probably 1-1.5hp one stage. I also want to get a small BS, probably a Craftsman 10" since I REALLY don't have room for a large one but would like to be able to cut curves in thicker woods than my scroll saw will handle. I also need to get a Shark Gaurd.

              I hope to have those by the end of the year. I just couldn't pass up the deal on the planer. I'm going to keep an eye out for deals on the others.

              mikeg

              Comment

              • jabe
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2006
                • 582
                • Hilo, Hawaii
                • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

                #8
                Lucky you, all I get on my anniversary is dinner and it's my treat. Congratulations!

                Comment

                Working...