• Show
Clear All
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

Tilting the table on an Hitachi B16RM

I'm about to use my Hitachi DP (of Lowes fame) to drill out some mortices for a table. The problem is that they need to be drilled at an 8 degree angle. I read through my manual, and it tells me to tighten one small bolt, and loosen a larger one. The problem is that this larger one needs a 23mm wrench. The area can't be accessed with an adjustable wrench - has to be a socket.

I've hunted both Big Box stores, Ace, and Sears. Nobody has it. 22mm: yes. 24mm: yes. No 23mm.

Has anyone dealt with this? Does anyone have a source for a better way? This seems to be a poor design to me. I imagine that I'll want to tilt the table on a regular basis. It would be nice to have a hand operated tightener like the one that locks the table in place (when turning).

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

-Jon
    To do is to be.
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • League City, Tx, USA.
    • BT3100

I think the lug nuts on my wifes last car were 23mm. You might want to check at an auto parts store and if they don't have a regular socket see if they have an impact socket. It would be a bit more but it would work.

Have you checked online for a 23mm socket?

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

23MM=.9055
      29/32=.9065

I don't know how much easier a 29/32 socket will be to find, but it's close enough to give you another option. I'd probably check Sears for something like this, they seem to do a much better job at hand tools than anyone else.
      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

23mm socket

Originally posted by jspelbring
        I'm about to use my Hitachi DP (of Lowes fame) to drill out some mortices for a table. The problem is that they need to be drilled at an 8 degree angle. I read through my manual, and it tells me to tighten one small bolt, and loosen a larger one. The problem is that this larger one needs a 23mm wrench. The area can't be accessed with an adjustable wrench - has to be a socket.

I've hunted both Big Box stores, Ace, and Sears. Nobody has it. 22mm: yes. 24mm: yes. No 23mm.

Has anyone dealt with this? Does anyone have a source for a better way? This seems to be a poor design to me. I imagine that I'll want to tilt the table on a regular basis. It would be nice to have a hand operated tightener like the one that locks the table in place (when turning).

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

-Jon
        i got one for my hitachi DP
        both lowes and HD had them. Single 23mm 1/2" drive Socket on a card.
        I bought mine from Lowes, I figured they deserved the business esp. after I came back the second time and had the DP price adjusted from $129 to 99.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-17-2006, 12:38 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pirinst
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2005
          • Portland, Or, USA.

I use large odd sized sockets on motorcycle axles.

I think Sears sells an oversized socket set that might have your size included.
          If not, they should be able to order one for you.

In Portland OR, we have a tool store called Hall tool that can order specialty
          sized sockets-maybe there is a store like that in your state. The store itself is pretty small but they have ordered some hard to find stuff for me in the past.

Comment

• pirinst
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2005
            • Portland, Or, USA.

Here's the set I got from Sears a few yrs. ago....

You might try a local motorcycle parts store like Cycle Gear or whatever
            store Chain in your area. I'm sure you can find your socket someplace fast.
            Attached Files

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Kobalt Set

My Kobalt Set from Lowe's has a 23mm. Have you tried HF? They have some socket sets.
              Richard
              Richard

Comment

Working...