• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Cheapest router that'll work with PC dovetail jig

I am trying to save some money on picking a dedicated router for this jig and of course need one that will accept the PC template guides that come with the machine. Any idea what routers would work?
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well I think you answered you own question, “need one that will accept the PC template guides” But I will say this when I tried doing dovetails with my original PC 690 they came out terrible. The Router starts with enough torque jump to start a Harley and vibrates like crazy. Never did get anything done with that router really. I have an old POS Craftsmen also and if you were closer I would give it to you. Both routers are a serious pain to set the depth of cut anywhere near accurate and I think that is something that is really key for a router and will show greatly in the results. So with all this be careful what you buy as you may spend more time fighting it trying to set the depth, fighting with an off center bushing and such than you do using it.

Ken

Comment

• allen
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2005
      • Florida.

I got the Hitachi M 12vc (soft start and 2.25 HP) from Amazon for $102 delivered for a dedicated dovetail jig router. It starts up with no jerk and runs real smooth. Do not know about the longivity. Loods like a copy of one of the PC routers. No compatibility problems with PC products that I know of. Do not need that much HP for dovetails but for the price how can you go wrong?

Allen

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

Hey guys thanks for the replies and Allen you do you know for a fact then that it'll take the PC template guides? Sorry not quite sure.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

cheap can get you in trouble. Just think the whole dovetail jig fit is based on setting the perfect router depth. Now think cheap - hard to set, won't stay where you set it.

Sure you want the cheapest router for this?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• allen
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2005
            • Florida.

lcm1947,

Yes the PC guide bushings will fit the Hitachi M 12VC out of the box. It also has a very good centering device to make sure that the guide bushing is perfectley centered and includes both collets (1/4 and 1/2 inch)

The guys seem to like the larger Hitachi so I feel pretty confident that this one should be good also.

My favorite is the Milwaukee 5616 but it is nearly twice the cost and you have to get a new base plate to use the PC bushings. That is why I went the Hitachi route this time.

Allen
            Last edited by allen; 07-15-2006, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Holbren
              • Oct 2004
              • Heathrow, FL.

I ended up with a DeWalt 621 for dovetails. While a plunge is probably not the best for a dovetail jig, it is a very accurate and repeatable router.
              Brian
              Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              www.holbren.com

Comment

• allen
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2005
                • Florida.

Brian,

I have a DeWalt 621 also and I think that it is a terrific router. But I was using it on my Akeda jig and even with the clear Pat Warner base I thought that it was difficult to see where the bit was going exactly due to the inside of the base being so narrow at that point. It was certainly doable and I did use it some for that purpose but was a little inconvenient for me. That is why I wanted a different second router for the jig.

I do not have the PC jig so I do not know if it is a problem or not with that setup. Maybe not since if it is the 4212 or 10 since they are not variable spaceing.

Allen
                Last edited by allen; 07-15-2006, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• lcm1947
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Austin, Texas
                  • BT 3100-1

I didn't really mean like cheap junk Loring, rather inexpensive. The Hitechi sounds like it might be fine for this. I've not heard anybody bad mouth them so they must be pretty decent. My choices it seems are between the PC 690 and the Hitechi M12VC. The 690 is running $143.00 including shipping at Amazon or if I am not mistaken my local Lowes was clearing or at least had them on sale for $99.00 that's with tax. I'll run down tomorrow and verify this though. So for $44.00 cheaper I am really leaning towards the Hitechi. I've already got 2 other PC 690's and just want something for the dovetails. Anyway that's my thinking at the moment. I appreciate everybody's help and replies.

Comment

• ART-EDNA
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2005
                    • AXTELL, NEBRASKA, USA.
                    • RYOBI BT3100

dove tails

Take a look at Accurate woodworking tools from wisconsin!

Comment

• coach
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2005
                      • Forney, TX.
                      • Powermatic 66

I was using my Bosch 1617EVS, but I really wanted something else so that my Bosch could go back home to its router table duties. I couldn't find a good price on a Bosch motor (I missed that Amazon super sale on the whole kit....again). I ended up with the Hitachi M12sc and have no complaints. I'll give it a while, but it might start being THE router I recommend for DT work.
                      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• lcm1947
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Austin, Texas
                        • BT 3100-1

Ok I'm puzzled. I went down to Lowes this morning and looked at the Hitechi and it sure doens't look like it'll take the PC template guide. Am I wrong?

Comment

• allen
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Florida.

Mine has a clear plastic base that has a 2 5/16" hole in it so that you can use larger bits. I have a metal adapter that fits into this hole that is attached with two screws so that the PC bushings will fit it. So if the one that you looked at just has the larger hole see if there is a package that comes with it that has the adapter. Not only that but make sure that it has the small black centering tool as well as the wrench and both collets. If not you might want to order from Amazon or buy from someone else.

Here is a picture that shows the adapter ring sitting next to the PC bushing. Click on the picture to get a better look.

Allen
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by allen; 07-16-2006, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• lcm1947
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Austin, Texas
                            • BT 3100-1

Well I'll be darned so that's how it works. Thanks so much for the reply Allen and the picture. Looks like that'll work then. I didn't see what assessories came with it so didn't know. Thanks

Comment

• vaking
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2005
                              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100-1

I will second the advice on the Hitachi M12VC but with few comments.
                              Firstly, M12VC is a fixed base variable speed router. There is a dual-base kit with this router and a plunge base too. It is somewhat more expensive (no kidding) but it includes the set of PC-style bushings (steel, not brass). In my opinion about $50 more but with second base and bushings is worth it. Set of bushings at HD is normally about $30 alone. This kit is called KM12VC.
                              Secondly, this router also has a single speed relative and also a dual base kit. The single speed version has a built-in soft start feature and for dovetail work variable speed is not a must (in my opinion) since it uses a small bit. The single speed version is called M12SC or KM12SC in a kit.
                              Finally, there is a review of KM12VC at routerforums. Everybody loves it and they are also saying that this router is compatible with practically all PC accesories that fit 690. Not only template guides, but edge guides, baseplates, etc. The KM12SC is sometimes available on sale for around $100 with the template guides and 2 bases included.
                              I have the Hitachi KM12SC and I can add that this is also the quitest router I have seen.
                              Alex V

Comment

Working...