121 views, no comments... wrong thread??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

121 views, no comments... wrong thread??

I'll try here--

comments / opinions on following blades:

Avenger 80 T Miter Box / Cutoff blade (Item # 10023--15 deg ATB, 10 dep back angle, 10 deg hook ang, 1/8" Kerf)

Freud F 410, 40T ATB
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by davidtu
    I'll try here--

Avenger 80 T Miter Box / Cutoff blade (Item # 10023--15 deg ATB, 10 dep back angle, 10 deg hook ang, 1/8" Kerf)
    Freud F 410, 40T ATB
    Even us regular high posters occasionally make posts that get no response (respect ).
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

Did Hank say something????

If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Thom2
        Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
        • Jan 2003
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

I'll try here--

Freud F 410, 40T ATB
        David,

I don't own either of these blades, but just looking at the specs I'd have to say that neither of them is overwhelmingly impressive. I don't know what your intended use it, but they both have a positive attack angle which IMO pretty well rules them out for RAS or SCMS use. I believe the Avenger might be an excellent crosscut blade on the BT tho' while the Freud lacks a flat raker and has marginal tooth count, I'm afraid it'll only make for a decent blade for remodeling/construction type cuts.

just my $0.02
        If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
        **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• wassaw998
          • Jul 2004
          • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I'll try here--

Freud F 410, 40T ATB

....Got Google ?
          Chris

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The F410 is among a handful of elite general purpose blades. It's the only blade left in the Freud "Premier" line which was their top tier beyond even their Industrial line. (the F810 has become the LU80R010) It's made to compete with the Forrest WWII. I've seen it priced reasonably on Ebay (~ $50 total), but at regular street prices I'm not sure it has any performance advantages over the Forrest, and I'm positive it doesn't have the resale value of the Forrest. The F410 is also only available in full 1/8" kerf which means it'll make the saw labor a bit more on thick material and rips...not a problem for a full 3hp cabinet saw. FWW did a blade comparison I think in 2002...they picked the WWII as best overall, but the F410 has undergone some redesign since then. Some of the other general purpose 40T blades at this level are the Ridge Carbide TS2000, Infinity Super, DeWalt DW7657, Everlast (model ?), CMT, Systimatic, Tenryu Gold Medal,and possibly a couple of others. If the full kerf doesn't dissuade you, the DW7657 goes for about $55 delivered from Amazon and is just a killer deal. Holbren sells the Ridge Carbide TS2000 and it's available in a 3/32" TK or full kerf...not sure if he has any TK's left after his clearance offer.

I know didley about the Avenger, other than it's typically consider a "value" line. I'll hazard a guess that it's not made anywhere near the standards of a Forrest, but it ought to cut wood.
            Last edited by Knottscott; 07-14-2006, 06:10 AM.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• davidtu
              • Apr 2006
              • Seattle, WA
              • BT3100

Originally posted by wassaw998
              ....Got Google ?
              Yep, true. But I don't seem to trust the opinions by any other group of "strangers" like I do the strangers on this site!

Thanks Dustmight for your comments... as you know the reason behind the post here was to evaluate my purchase of Freud F410 for $20 at Rockler. At 1/3 price of WWII I can live w/o resale value.
              Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

Sounds like a good deal if you got it for $20.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

The F410 is supposed to be Freud's high end general purpose blade but it has not achieved the reputation of the Forrest WWII. Probably a good blade/good buy for $20.

The avenger, well, they weren't in business long enough to achieve a strong rep. I had not heard anything about their regular blades. The dados while inexpensive, had some issues. Now Avenger is OOB so what does that say. I guess not much can go wrong with a blade so for $10 you can use it if you like it and you won't have lost much if you don't.

I don't have strong feelings about either blade, I've not touched or seen either, my experience is just from what I've heard in the past. Hence I did not reply when i saw the 1st post. So when you beg for replies then keep in mind what they're worth.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...