• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wwday3
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Eagle, ID, USA.

Flush Cut and Jamb Saws

I am looking for a flush cut or jamb saw to assist me in a flooring project.

I've looked at a number of very positive reviews on Amazon for the Bosch 1640VSK, one (and only) positive review for the QEP 6 inch Jamb Saw, "iffy" reviews for a couple Mortenson and Crain saws that are currently unavailable, and no reviews for something called a Jamby.

I'm also familiar with the Fein Multi-master. Many swear by it. But, I understand the blades wear out fast and are *very* expensive. Plus - I tend to shy away from "do it all" type tools since they never seem to do "one thing" real well.

What I'd like to do is get some input from you fine folks. Got a flush cut or jamb saw? What are your experiences with it? Any recommendations?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Wally
    Two wrongs do not make a right, but three rights do make a left.
  • steve-u
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Bartlett, Ill.
    • Ryobi BT 3100

I have the Bosch flush cut saw and it worked like a champ for trimming the doorway to allow Pergo floor installation. It is typical Bosch power and quality and made in Switzerland. I can also buy the blades locally if I ever need to replace them. -- Steve

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I am not an all in one tool user either. But I will say that the expensive Fein MultiMaster is one of the absolutely last tools that I will part with - because it is one of the few "do several things" tools that do just what it says it will do.

It does cost too much in my opinion for replacement blades, but when I look at spending $35.00 (for a blade) for a few cuts to get a door, floor and room just right, it does a super job and does it neatly.

It cuts holes in sheetrock so precisely with very little dust as compared to other tools. Removing tile, same thing.

One of the best $200.00 I ever spent. There is a huge difference in a $39.95 do it all tool and the Fein $200.00 "do several thing" tools. Kinda like comparing an olympic gold medal winner to a Jr Hi track meet winner.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Tequila
        • Aug 2004
        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

The Bosch is excellent for trimming door jambs and doing flush cutting. Don't bother getting the kit that includes the miter box though - the blade flexes too much to make accurate miter cuts in the box.
        -Joe

Comment

• coach
          Established Member
          • Jan 2005
          • Forney, TX.
          • Powermatic 66

For a power tool, the Fein might be the way to go.

However, if you are not doing production work..... just flooring for your own house; I'd suggest a good back-cut (or pull) saw. I used a relatively inexpensive Japanese flush cut saw for my door jambs with great results. And you know what, I've used it several times over in my shop for trimming plugs and such.

Not every tool needs to be a power tool to get the best results.
          If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

I just did a flooring project in my house and had to trim a handfull of door jambs. I considered a Fein Multimaster, but after I did one with a flush cut saw I couldn't justify spending the money. If I did flooring for a living, I think that I'd definitely get the Fein - mainly for door jambs that are tight on an inside corner where the stroke of the saw is a problem.
            Bill

Comment

• wwday3
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2004
              • Eagle, ID, USA.

So far...

We have a couple votes for the Bosch, and a couple for the Fein. And, a couple for an unpowered solution (I *think* Bill is in this category).

Coach, I have 20+ jambs to do, plus a half dozen pretty good sized "posts", so I'm leaning toward a powered solution.

Cost-wise, I can get the Bosch for about the same price at Lowe's (my Borg doesn't seem to have it) as Amazon. I'm not too keen on the "sideways" mounting of the blade since it seems like that might make cutting inside corners difficult.

The Fein is $199 at Amazon for the "Starter" kit. It looks like there is one E-cut blade included, but they also have a listing for a flush-cut blade for $34. I like the fact that the blades mount in the "front" of the unit, but I'm not sure if I can just use the E-cut blade, or if I need to spend the extra for the flush blade.

Any more thoughts?

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I guess when I'm rich and infamous, I'll break down and get a power one. I've always done them by hand with an offset type of saw. If you're bent on power, I'll be the last one to change your mind. I've used the back saw type with the flip over handle. Not fast like power, but gets the job done. Besides, makes me think I'm a woodworker.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• steve-u
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Bartlett, Ill.
                  • Ryobi BT 3100

Keep in mind that the blades on the Bosch can flip over so that they can be used on either side of the tool. Also you need about 5/8 inch end clearance to the area you want to cut using the flat end blade so if you have a door with molding right against the adjacent wall you may have a problem though the Bosch will cut what it can and you may need to remove the missed cut part with a hand pull saw or a wood chisel. I have not used the Fein tool but for doing what you want my guess is that the Bosch tool will be easier and faster and probably make better/uniform cuts. Bosch does have a thirty day return guarantee on their tools so you may also want to take that into consideration though of course the tool needs to look like new when you return it and not well used.

Steve

Comment

• pirinst
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Portland, Or, USA.

Have you condsidered the Navigator?

Fred Meyer/Walmart sell them for approximately $40. I used one for two years during house remodelling for a couple of friends. Has such a short stroke, it can do plunge cuts into flooring from an angle. I used the metal
                    cutting blade for wood cuts in floors, walls, siding replacement cuts, etc....
                    The wood blades are good for making rough cuts but not for what you are
                    describing. Just need to get a bunch of metal blades as the tend to wear fairly rapidly.

In theory all you'd need to do would be lay a piece of wood on the floor just
                    slightly smaller than your wood size and have the blade make up the difference and cut using the wood piece as a guide.

Western Tool sells the jamb saw and also a toe kick saw, I think they are made by Crane. Sell for over $300 each as I recall. HD can order them for you also.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

There was an quick tip in one of the magazines recently about using a biscuit jointer to do this job. I think I have it at home, but it is one of the current issues.

Basically the guy removed the guide from the jointer and just made a couple cuts on the jam. Worked for him and might be a tool you already have.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• wwday3
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Eagle, ID, USA.

I have a Navigator, but from my experience, I'm not sure I'd trust myself to make good, clean cuts at that low of an angle. Seems like there would be a tendency to not cut level, especially since the "handle" is so thick. Maybe I'll do some experimenting with it. Thanks for the thought.

Comment

• wwday3
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Eagle, ID, USA.

RussianWolf, I'd like to know which magazine you were reading. I do have one of the smallish Ryobi jointers I got a few years ago as a gift. It makes really tiny biscuit cuts, so it's use is limited for general woodworking. But, maybe with the guard removed...

Comment

• pirinst
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2005
                            • Portland, Or, USA.

the metal cutting blade will bend during use

that way it will cut flush with your guide board.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                              • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by wwday3
                              RussianWolf, I'd like to know which magazine you were reading. I do have one of the smallish Ryobi jointers I got a few years ago as a gift. It makes really tiny biscuit cuts, so it's use is limited for general woodworking. But, maybe with the guard removed...
                              I'll have to have a look this evening. Fairly sure it's the most recent one I bought. Spent all weekend cleaning out the garage so no time for the forums.
                              Mike
                              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...