• Show
Clear All
  • BrazosJake
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Benbrook, TX.
    • Emerson-built Craftsman

Compressor/Nailer: Worth the trouble?

OK, I've been reading the compressor threads with interest lately and contemplating a compressor/brad nailer, but don't know if I want have to learn the care and feeding of another tool. How high-maintenance are these things?

I saw HD has a tiny 1-gallong Husky w brad nailer combo for $69. This stuff any good for minor home DIY?

Thanks!
  • brooks
    Established Member
    • May 2006

A friend of mine got one of these from Home Depot the other day. It's tiny and the compressor does run a bit but it's okay to blow the brads he wanted to use. Very handy, weighs nothing and easy to store. For the money, hard to get a better deal. I'd say the gun was better than Harbor Freight's $20 one too.

Comment

• offthemark
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Germantown, TN, USA.
      • BT3100

I use my combo (with a 18g nailer) all the time. The oilless compressors (probably what you are looking at as most small ones are) are:

-noisier
      -not as long lived as oiled
      -less maintenance needy
      -cheaper (personally I think this outweighs the long life issue for a hobby woodworker)
      -not able to run some paint tools and air tools (I don't use these)

Only maintenance for oilless is you add 5 drops of oil to the nailer before each day's use and you drain the air and water out the valve on the bottom of the compressor when you are between projects or every week or so. You have to drain the water or the tank will rust. Just have to turn a dial. It's so easy my wife even did it once.
      Mark
      --------
      "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

You won't need to spend hours pulling maintenance on a compressor or the nailer for that matter. Draining the tank on the compressor will be the most common thing you'll have to do for it. As for the nailer, a drop or two of air tool oil on a regular basis will be your main maintenance function for it. As with anything mechanical, the better care you take of it the better it will perform and the longer it will last.

Comment

• MilDoc

Bought mine after I saw how often NYW and Marks used theirs. Haven't regretted it for a minute! Very handy, easy care, lots of uses.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

BJ,
            the convenience of power brad nailing far exceeds the minimal care and feeding of the compressor and nail gun,
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

I've been looking at used equipment but I'm a bit clueless about which gun to get. I could see using a brad nailer to tack joints and I've got a home improvement project that involves installing new window casing and trim.

Where would I use a 16 gauge nailer vs. an 18 gauge nailer vs. a stapler vs. a finish nailer, or are the applications all very similar?

Comment

• NJFrank
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003
                • NJ, USA.

Okay from my limited Knowledge.

Get a compressor and nailer/nailers and don't look back . After I finally bought mine about 2 years back, I felt like a dope that I hadn't done so before. Life is so much better.

I have used mine for Brads (HF 20.00 job), Mouldings (15 Guage) and for framing with a HF Framing nailer. I got the harbour freight pancake compressor. I've seen a Campbell hausfeld gun Kit at Costco cheap. The PC setup with the pancake compressor and guns is sweet also, my buddy has it.

Also comes in handy for bike tires and such Items. It won't run a spray gun or grinder but I don't need it for that.

My Hammer only gets rare use now.

Regarding usage

Brad nailer 18 Guage, Fastening boards together for glueup, Shoe Moulding, 1/4 cabinet backs etc.

Finish Nailer 15 or 16 Guage, Fastening boards, mouldings and trim.

Stapler Carpet, upholstery (don't use a combination stapler/brad nailer though for brads, the hammer in the gun is designed for staples, so it will make a wider indentation using brads)

Gor for it, it's worth the little upkeep.
                Last edited by NJFrank; 07-11-2006, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• steve-u
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Bartlett, Ill.
                  • Ryobi BT 3100

Yes they are well worth the money. If you can swing a few extra bucks I highly recommend the Porter Cable pancake compressor combo that Amazon has right now. It comes with the compressor, 18 GA brad nailer, 16 GA finish nailer, and narrow crown stapler for $299 - $20 instant rebate - $25 future purchase credit = $254 shipped. --- Steve

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Comment

• BrazosJake
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Benbrook, TX.
                    • Emerson-built Craftsman

So you'd need a finish nailer, about 15-16 gauge for moldings? Hanging crown is one if the reasons I'm contemplating a compressor/nailer. I picked up one of those little Husky's at HD today, but looks like it probably won't be enough.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by BrazosJake
                      So you'd need a finish nailer, about 15-16 gauge for moldings? Hanging crown is one if the reasons I'm contemplating a compressor/nailer. I picked up one of those little Husky's at HD today, but looks like it probably won't be enough.
                      I think that a 1 gallon compressor and its likely matched air flow capacity would be too dinky for more than very light brad shooting usage.

Probably you should look at something with a 4-6 gallow tank or larger and drawing 10-15 Amps when running to provide useful capacity for brad and finsih nailers at a reasonable pace (which you will likely hit when installing long pieces of molding) and for air nozzles cleaning up shop and tools and airing up tires.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jan
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Dec 2004

The little Husky will run your 16 ga and 18 ga nailers just fine. It doesn't always keep up with a 15 ga nailer. I've used mine for a lot of trim work. When you carry a compressor up a few flights of stairs you'll really appreciate the light weight. If you buy one, toss the pig tail hose and buy the most flexible 1/4" hose you can find.

Jan

Comment

Working...