This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Ridgid drill press problem

Loosening the handle that is supposed to allow the pulleys to move to change speeds does nothing. The pulleys stay where they are. Can't switch the belt. The manual has been no help.

Anyone have a solution?
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

walk the belts- just always move the end that goes onto the smaller pulley first when doing that.
    Alex

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by MilDoc
      Loosening the handle that is supposed to allow the pulleys to move to change speeds does nothing. The pulleys stay where they are.
      Due to the weight of the motor, it sometimes needs a helping hand. Have you tried easing the motor towards the front - that should give you enough slack, then you can re-tension it before locking the same way. HTH

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I do not know how the Ridged DP works but my HF has two adjustments - one to loosen it and the other to move it.

Let us know what it takes to get it to work.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

my DP has two screws that loosen the idle pulley, you have to loosen them both. Then there's a lever to move the pulley.

On my other DP, There's one thumbscrew, the motor is hinged and you need to reach back and give the motor a pull forward and afterwards push it back to detension and retension the belts before locking the thumbscrew.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dwitzke
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2003

I have the Rigid and it has 2 levers to loosen, One on each side of the DP.

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

Paul, there are two small black handle knobs on each side of the drill press. One is next to the handle. Loosen them and then the handle will relieve tension.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• MilDoc

Yeah, I've loosened both the tension lock knobs but can't get the tesion release lever to move at all. I'll try pulling on the motor tonight.

Comment

• mater
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • SC, USA.

Yeah, I've loosened both the tension lock knobs but can't get the tesion release lever to move at all. I'll try pulling on the motor tonight.
                  The handle moves the motor back and forth about 3/8 of an inch. Maybe pulling on the motor will do it for you.
                  Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• MilDoc

Success (sort of). I again loosened both lock knobs, then lifted and pulled on the motor. This time it slid forward about 1/4", just enough to be able to "walk" the belts to change the speed.

PITA, but at least now I can get 'er done!

But I know it moved a lot easier when new. Being a mechanical clutz I hesitate to try and disassemble it to see if there is sawdust or something else in there.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Success (sort of). I again loosened both lock knobs, then lifted and pulled on the motor. This time it slid forward about 1/4", just enough to be able to "walk" the belts to change the speed.

PITA, but at least now I can get 'er done!

But I know it moved a lot easier when new. Being a mechanical clutz I hesitate to try and disassemble it to see if there is sawdust or something else in there.

Thanks for the suggestions!
                      well if it sorta works, then maybe now it needs some oil or WD40 on the motor hinge or other parts that should move.

Mine's not a Ridgid, but it has three pulleys and 2 belts and its a breeze to change except whsn I have to swap the belts so that the other one is on top. The it takes about 45 seconds longer.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lcm1947
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Austin, Texas
                        • BT 3100-1

Maybe I shouldn't ask right now but how do you otherwise like your Ridgid DP? I am looking at one right now due to it's smaller size and weight and was just wondering. Oh I am assuming they only make one model?
                        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...