Router Poll 6: Variable-Speed For Handheld Use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Router Poll 6: Variable-Speed For Handheld Use?

Virtually everyone agrees that variable-speed is a must-have feature for table routing. It's value for handheld routing, however, is a matter of some debate.

Where do you stand? Pick the choice that most closely matches your viewpoint, for whatever reason(s).

Note that this poll is concerned only with routing that is done by hand. If you use the same router in a table and need VS for that, consider only how much you use the VS feature when routing by hand. It doesn't matter whether your router(s) has VS built in, or you use an external controller. If you own more than one router, some with variable-speed and some without, check the option that most closely matches your overall situation. And as always, thanks for taking time to cast your vote!
    Don't have it, don't need it, don't miss it
    4.03%
    Don't have it, and am unsure whether I'm missing anything
    10.48%
    Don't have it, wish I did, next handheld router I buy will have it
    4.03%
    Have it, but don't use it, wouldn't miss it
    6.45%
    Have it, don't use it, but might someday
    17.74%
    Have it, use it occasionally, but could get by without it
    17.74%
    Have it, use it often, find it well worth the added cost
    13.71%
    Have it, and wouldn't buy another handheld router without it
    9.68%
    Have it, but only because I use the same router in a table
    8.06%
    Have it, but mostly because I wanted soft-start
    8.06%
    Other (please post a reply explaining what)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Larry
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

If you need to use it, then the bit is probably a too big of a bit to use hand-held, or a climb cut would do the trick.

edit: except if you are making table-tops, or solid wood panels- then you might need it for thumbnail bits.
    Alex

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I wouldn't buy another hand held router without it, probably. My reasoning is more for the soft start aspect though, as it is typically only on VS routers. Nothing scarier than a router trying to jump around in your hand. I don't use any router bits hand held large enough to necessitate the feature, just like the soft start.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by drumpriest
        I wouldn't buy another hand held router without it, probably. My reasoning is more for the soft start aspect though, as it is typically only on VS routers. Nothing scarier than a router trying to jump around in your hand. I don't use any router bits hand held large enough to necessitate the feature, just like the soft start.
        Good point!
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

I use a PC & Milwaukee D-Handle for free hand routing and neither are VS. I use a VS in my table and when I use a plunge router. It works for me so I guess I am not missing anything.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Scottydont
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Edmonds, WA, USA.
            • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Routers can be intimidating for newbies and I had more confidence starting up the Hitachi while at a lower speed as well as regulate the speed based on the activity I was using the router for. Yes it adds another part to fail but I believe confidence contributes to safety in this case.
            Scott
            "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I like the VS for another reason - noise. I have been in situations outside and inside where I could cut back about 20 to 30 percent on the speed and cut the noise in half. I know that the blade is going 20 to 30 percent slower and adjust for it with a slower and steady feed rate. I get just as smooth a cut as full speed cuts too. (A lot depends on the wood that is being routed.)

When working in our house this past spring with a 1 year old grandson sleeping two rooms away, my daughter said thanks a dozen times for cutting back on the noise.

While outside between two the house and shed, the sound was bouncing off the walls to the house behind where I have a neighbor who has had a heart transplant. I try to consider this when I am working.

I try and consider my neighbors and family when the noise is an intrusion. But when it is not - full speed ahead.
              Last edited by leehljp; 07-09-2006, 08:50 AM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• vaking
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have 3 routers I can use hand-held. Hitachi 2 base kit is a single speed but it has a soft start. Argument that you need VS for soft start is outdated.
                Rotozip with plunge base is my trimmer. It works with external speed controller, so I can slow it down if I want but I never do.
                Craftsman fixed base router in my auxiliary table (not my main table router) can also be used hand-held. It has variable speed and soft start but I rarely see need to get out of the table. The only exception - edging large MDF surfaces because this router has DC hook-up available and I want to use DC when working with MDF. Out of these3 routers - Hitachi kit gets the most use. Rotozip is used for small work and always at max speed. Craftsman comes out of a table on big holidays and also on highest speed only. I heard there may be situations when I would want to slow down a bit even hand-held but I have not seen one yet.
                Alex V

Comment

Working...