Please don't just read. Please Leave your opinion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Please don't just read. Please Leave your opinion.

I know there are tens of dozens of posts on this subject but after reading them all I still have a serious question. In your opinions are they really designed for woodworkers? Now before you answer please tell me what volt impact driver you have please. I am trying to decide if 1. would I benefit by having one and 2. what volt would work best for me in your opinion or do I even need one based on my use of it. I only play around during the weekends on smallest type things like building jigs or cabinets ( pocket screws ) and maybe some shelves in the near future. I won't be rebuilding a house or barn or applying sheet rock to my walls or anything heavy duty like that so please keep that in mind. Now lastly you need to know what I'm considering currently. 1. A single Makita impact driver 12 volt for $179.00, a Makita 14 volt with 14 volt drill/driver for $218.00 or a Makita 18 volt with 18 volt drill/ driver for $245.00. Please base your suggestions on my information not what or how you'd use it please or what you'd like. So what do you think? Thanks in advance.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

12V B&D impact driver, there's no screw or bolt I haven't been able to drive yet and it was only $39.

If you just build small stuff you don't need one, you'll bury the screw.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-30-2006, 08:31 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dpal
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2006

Based on your description of use, you do not need an impact driver. They're really designed for driving long fasteners (not in furniture making!) or for use when high torque is needed. They have so much power they can literally drive a 3" screw in the blink of an eye, or tighten a bolt/lag so much that you can get carried away and bury the head in a piece of wood. For what you describe, it's the wrong tool. [And impact drivers are not designed to be drills, BTW.]

With that said, Makita makes great impact drivers. If you do decide to get one, get the 12v. Anything else is overpowered for your needs. I would recommend getting the Makita 12v from www.heavydutytools.net -- it comes with a free 12v drill/driver -- for $199 (free shipping).

You might also consider the Ridgid 12v right angle impact. I'm amazed at how often I use it in work where a regular drill/driver won't fit.

Comment

• Holbren
        • Oct 2004
        • Heathrow, FL.

I have the 18V lithium ion Makita and while I love it, way too much power for driving screws. If I had to do it all over again, I would get the 12V unit. I do like the fact though that the lithium ion batteries do hold a charge longer and don't bleed off. I hate picking up my 12V Dewalt drill only to find out both the batteries are dead.
        Brian
        Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        www.holbren.com

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Mac,

An impact driver will NOT work on pocket screws. I learned that one the hard way right after I bought mine.

That said, I have the Makita 14V combo with ID and drill/driver. Both are great performers so far. I don't think that there is anything that the 14V drill can't handle that most 18V drills could. Of course, I on;y got the kit because HD had a really sweet deal on the package. So, get whatever fits your budget, and consider getting on that uses the same batteries as your drill, or getting a combo.

Jim

Comment

• Warren
            Established Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Anchorage, Ak
            • BT3000

I agree that you haven't stated a need for an impact driver. A decent light weight drill would seem to fill your needs. 14.4 or 12 volt drills will handle anything you seem to be doing, especially if you are predrilling before driving the screw. I work mostly with 2X material and, dang it, I can't find a reason to buy anything bigger than my 14.4 DeWalts. I want a Sawz-all too but, dang it, I don't need one. I just think they are really neat.
            A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

I have a Dewalt 14.4 volt impact driver and used it one time in the last 1 1/2 years. It is overkill for driving screws. Like the others said you don't need one for screws. I mostly use a 12 volt or 14.4 volt Dewalt drill myself for driving screws.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Holbren
                • Oct 2004
                • Heathrow, FL.

I use mine all the time for driving screws including pocket screws, can't imagine whey they are collecting dust. The thing works great and while you would think the torque would send the screw into outer space, it doesn't. Mine doesn't have a clutch setting but you can hear it wratcheting about 3/4 the way in and can tell easily when the screw is all the way in.

Don't know if that's something with the new lithium ion tools but the thing is awesome. I haven't picked up my drill since.
                Brian
                www.holbren.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

I recommend 14.4v Bosch which has served me much better than my Dewalt. Having said that, for your applications you could easily get by with the Porter Cable 9.6v which is selling for less than $50 on Amazon right now.

Comment

• lcm1947
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Austin, Texas
                    • BT 3100-1

Well thanks for the good honest answers. I was really wanting one but I knew in my heart I didn't really need one. You guys confirmed that for me and I thank you. I was this ____ close, well actually this close __ to buying one tonight but thought I'd ask the forum. Glad I did. I tell you this forum and you guys rock. Excuse the term, been hanging around the kids too much I guess. Anyway, that being out of the way I may just get another 12 or maybe even an 18 volt drill/driver just for drilling and keep the old Makita 12 volt drill/driver for screwing. It's really been sufficient for what I've done in the past. Well, maybe a few times when I didn't predrill it kind of bogged down but other then that it's been fine. Thanks again all and I'll monitor the topic some more just to see what others might like to say. Appreciate it guys.

Comment

• Holbren
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Heathrow, FL.

Well you are correct, I guess I should have said I can live without it. Never had a need for more than a 12V drill and still don't.
                      Brian
                      www.holbren.com

Comment

• John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

I have a Ryobi 18 volt and I love it! Wish I had bought one years ago. I just built an assembly table 7 1/2 foot long and 2 foot wide using 3" screws. The impact driver made the job a snap.
                        John Hunter

Comment

• steve-u
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Bartlett, Ill.
                          • Ryobi BT 3100

I have a Bosch 12V Impactor which I really like when I need it. I even used it to remove the bolt holding on my lawn more blade and it came right off without twisting my wrist. Having said that the Bosch PS20-2 looks very sweet and may do exactly what you want. It is a very light unit and has lithium ion battery and goes for $117 shipped at Amazon after 10 percent discount. --- Steve

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
                          Attached Files

Comment

• lcm1947
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Austin, Texas
                            • BT 3100-1

Yeah Steve I looked at the Bosch at Homedepot but it was like $129.00 there. It just looked so small but might be just fine but now that I'm thinking about it I'm thinking another drill/driver for drilling. Also that little Bosch doesn't have a base to set it upright and I kind of like that feature. You can always see where you left it.

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

Based on your description, I'm not sure if you would need an impact driver. I bought a Ridgid "Combo" last fall, on close-out. It consisted of a 14-volt 3/8 drill/driver and the 14.4 Impact Driver. Frankly, I love them both, but find myself using the drill/driver with it's adjustable clutch, most of the time. The impact driver just seems to have too much torque for use in "normal wood" conditions. Maybe if I was building a deck or porch or driving heavy screws into maple or birch, if might be the perfect tool.

I'm in the process of remodeling an old home with lots of oak. But so far everything is either nailed or, as in the case of the "not too old" kitchen, utilizing trim-hd screws. For me anyway, the impact isn't the right tool for removing those.

CWS
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...