• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

BABY Drum Sander

Even though they said it was BO until mid July, my new Grizzly "Baby" Drum Sander arrived today.

If this is a "baby" then I hate to see what a full grown one will look like. It doesn't weigh 200 lbs, as predicted, only 150 lbs. But, it looks huge. I had envisioned it to be the size of my 12" Delta planer. It is wider and about three times as deep.

I'll have to move things around a bit in my already overcrowded shop, before I can take it for a spin.

Does anyone else have one yet? I'd appreciate any hints or opinions.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • gary
    • May 2004
    • Versailles, KY, USA.

Not a proper gloat until you post a link to the Grizzly site or a picture. Until then, you only get a lower case "you suck".
    Gary

Comment

• Holbren
      • Oct 2004
      • Heathrow, FL.

Post a pic and let us know how you like it. I'm going to buy one eventually but was looking at the Performax 10/20 for bench top use. I don't have any more floor space in my little shop area.

What is the min sanding thickness? I will be using my probably mostly for sanding resawn veneers and some of them have a min thickness that is not good for that.
      Brian
      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      www.holbren.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Holbren
        Post a pic and let us know how you like it. I'm going to buy one eventually but was looking at the Performax 10/20 for bench top use. I don't have any more floor space in my little shop area.

What is the min sanding thickness? I will be using my probably mostly for sanding resawn veneers and some of them have a min thickness that is not good for that.
        I bet there will be good deals to be found on the Performax line since they are rebranding the line to Jet. A few places already have the Jet instead of the Performax.

Comment

• Holbren
          • Oct 2004
          • Heathrow, FL.

Funny you say that Jeff. I went to Amazon and checked prices on the Performax and the "new" prices are higher than the ones crossed out. Maybe there is a given % off sale going and they jacked them up for the sale.

I don't understand why those machines are so expensive other than the fact there is little competition. Maybe there is some precision in the bearings and shaft or something that cost some $$$ to produce.
          Brian
          www.holbren.com

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

I'm probably going to get a performax sander, but I agree that there isn't enough competition out there for these tools. The Griz's 12" capacity is somewhat limiting for flatening large glue-ups, but probably just the ticket for home made veneers, as most people can't resaw more than 12" at home.

The delta is the only competitive tool. The performax sanders do work well, and I've used them.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Holbren
              Funny you say that Jeff. I went to Amazon and checked prices on the Performax and the "new" prices are higher than the ones crossed out. Maybe there is a given % off sale going and they jacked them up for the sale.

I don't understand why those machines are so expensive other than the fact there is little competition. Maybe there is some precision in the bearings and shaft or something that cost some $$$ to produce.
              Seems the Delta may be able to create some competition with their machines. How long have they been around? I only recently became aware of them.

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

I looked at the Grizzly last January when I bought my sander. I wound up going with the Performax 10/20, mainly due to the weight/size issue. With my small shop I didn't have anywhere to put a larger machine. The Performax is 100 lbs and is a bear to move around, so I can't imagine hefting the Grizzly into place.

As far as hints, dust collection is not an option. Your sanding belt will clog in a heartbeat without it. And a shop-vac probably doesn't have enough "oomph" to keep up with a sander. Make sure you adjust it so the drum is parallel to the table. That's a critical adjustment, as having it slightly off can ruin your day. Also, buy one of those rubber sanding belt cleaning sticks. Your sandpaper will last a lot longer if you use those regularly.

Let us know how the Grizzly works once you put it through it's paces.
                Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• bmyers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Fishkill, NY
                  • bt 3100

here is a REAL baby drum sander I found on the net..

"Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by scmhogg
                    I'll have to move things around a bit in my already overcrowded shop, before I can take it for a spin.
                    I have to agree, Steve, there just isn't really enough room in you shop. I'd be happy to find a home for this for a while.

JR
                    JR

Comment

• bmyers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Fishkill, NY
                      • bt 3100

actually you could prolly use that baby drum sander for skeet shooting also if you run the boards the wrong way.
                      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

OK Gary here's the link. No pics yet as it is still in the box.

<h1>G0459 12" 1-1/2 HP Baby Drum Sander</h1> <h2>A drum sander sized for workbenches or sturdy tool stands.</h2> <p>The G0459 1-1/2 HP Baby Drum Sander packs a wallop when it comes to sanding wood up to 12" wide.</p> <p>This machine comes equipped with a 1-1/2 HP sanding motor to spin the 4" sanding drum 2127 FPM and a 2.5&ndash;17.3 FPM variable-speed conveyor motor.</p> <p>The correct speed to use depends on the type of stock you are using (hardwood vs. softwood) and the stage of finish you are at with that workpiece.</p> <p>A gear-drive table elevation handwheel allows you fine-tune your finish.</p> <p>A steel dust scoop combined with a 2-1/2" dust port maximizes dust collection efficiency.</p> <p>Like all Grizzly drum sanders, the G0459 comes with a 1-year warranty which covers parts and assures the unit is free from factory defects.</p> <p>The G0459 manual was written by our U.S. based Technical Documentation Department and is packed with useful information.</p> <p>The complete-and-easy to read manual makes it easier to assemble and maintain your sander.</p> <p>The Grizzly Customer Service and Technical Support Teams are U.S. based.</p> <p>Parts for the sander may be available online and shipped from the Grizzly parts warehouse in Springfield, MO.</p> <p style="color:red;">Made in an ISO 9001 factory</p> <p style="color:red;">CSA certified</p> <h4>SPECIFICATIONS</h4><ul> <li>Sanding motor: 1-1/2 HP, 115V, single-phase, 13A</li> <li>Conveyor motor: 1/8 HP, 0.3A</li> <li>Sanding drum size: 4"</li> <li>Drum surface speed: 2127 FPM</li> <li>Maximum stock dimensions: 12" W x 3-1/2" T</li> <li>Minimum stock dimensions: 8" L x 1/8" T</li> <li>Conveyor feed rate: variable, 2.5&#8211;17.3 FPM</li> <li>Conveyor belt dimensions: 12-1/4" W x 49-3/4" L</li> <li>Sanding belt size: 3" x 70" hook and loop</li> <li>Footprint: 22-1/4" x 12"</li> <li>Dust port size: 2-1/2"</li> <li>Overall dimensions: 27" W x 24" D x 27" H</li> <li>Approximate shipping weight: 166 lbs.</li></ul> <h4>FEATURES</h4><ul> <li>Steel dust hood maximizes dust collection efficiency</li> <li>Two adjustable pressure rollers</li> <li>Thickness scale</li> <li>Independent variable-speed conveyor motor</li> <li>Industrial-duty conveyor belt</li> <li>Side handles for portability</li></ul>

JR that's mighty neighborly of you. I'll keep the sander, but you could store 6 or 7 file cabinets with old files in them.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• aksarben1010
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Nov 2005

The size and weight are pretty big for something that is called 'BABY'.

I was going to buy one when they came out but I got really lucky and found a used Performax 16/32 for $300 with the legs, caster and in/outfeed tables plus tons of sandpaper. I could not resist a deal like that.

I can tell you that it has changed the way I work, I use it alot. I got it to go with my bandsaw to get rid of resawing marks. I have since found a lot more uses for it.

Enjoy it and built a cart for that thing so you can move it. At 150lbs you will throw your back out lifting it.

Scott

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by scmhogg
                            JR that's mighty neighborly of you. I'll keep the sander, but you could store 6 or 7 file cabinets with old files in them.
                            Hmm...

Any of them labeled "Anthony Pelicano"?

JR
                            JR

Comment

• Holbren
                              • Oct 2004
                              • Heathrow, FL.

Originally posted by aksarben1010
                              I was going to buy one when they came out but I got really lucky and found a used Performax 16/32 for $300 with the legs, caster and in/outfeed tables plus tons of sandpaper. I could not resist a deal like that.
                              Man, I never find those deals. That is a deal and a half.
                              Brian
                              www.holbren.com

Comment

Working...