X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dabeeler
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Triton Router?

I am looking at the Triton 2-1/4 HP router and would like to have some opinions as compared to the Bosch or Porter Cable. The Triton looks like a good plunge router that can be easily adapted to table use by removing the plunge springs. I also noted that the brushes are easy to get at when it comes time to replace them. Opinions welcome.

Thanks,
    David
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dabeeler
    I am looking at the Triton 2-1/4 HP router and would like to have some opinions as compared to the Bosch or Porter Cable. The Triton looks like a good plunge router that can be easily adapted to table use by removing the plunge springs. I also noted that the brushes are easy to get at when it comes time to replace them. Opinions welcome.

Thanks,
    David
    It's Rod Kirby's favorite router!
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

There is a brief write-up on this router in the current issue of Fine Woodworking. They were very complimentary.

JR
      JR

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

What Loring said

Way too heavy for me to use hand-held but absolutely PERFECT for table use - Oh that great above-table bit change facility

AND the "underside" dust port...

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 11:27 PM.
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• bigsteel15
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Edmonton, AB
          • Ryobi BT3100

As a non-Aussie and therefore unbiased owner of the 3 HP Triton, I am personally looking forward to the day that I can justify purchasing the 2-1/4HP unit.
          I have used the 3 HP hand held for dadoes, but then proceeded to purchase a Bosch kit when I bought a DT jig.
          I intend to mount the big Triton in a table.
          Brian

Welcome to the school of life
          Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• JTimmons
            • Feb 2005
            • Denver, CO.
            • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by RodKirby
            What Loring said

Way too heavy for me to use hand-held but absolutely PERFECT for table use - Oh that great above-table bit change facility

AND the "underside" dust port...
            So, I guess we can sum up that it is a great tool to use downunder right?
            (downunder the table that is)
            "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

I think I hurt myself reading that pun. No opinion on the router though, sorry. If it's favorable to the Bosch, it's gotta be nice. Thus far of all the 2 1/4 hp routers I've seen and used, the Bosch is the winner, but I havn't played with a Triton.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• RayintheUK
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Rod has the 3.25HP TRB001 in his table. I use one both freehand and in the table, but I'm expecting to hear sometime today (Monday June 25th.) that my 2.25HP (MOF001) Triton is ready to ship to me. I'm expecting it to be a great table machine and a little more freehand-friendly. It has all of the features of the larger machine, but is a little lighter - in both weight and output.

If you don't mind waiting until the end of the week, I'll have tried and reviewed it as a direct comparison to its bigger brother and to a couple of other routers.

Ray.
                Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Workbench Magazine just had a write up in the current issue, (August 2006) comparing all of the top brand names. They ended up rating the Bosch 1619 as best overall, with runner up's to Hitachi MV12V2 and Dewalt DW625.

They liked the Triton TRC0001, felt it had a steep learning curve, but was excellent once you learned your way around it. Also found it had some bit slippage. They also liked the dust collection and bit changing on the Triton
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• bigsteel15
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Edmonton, AB
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jhart
                    Also found it had some bit slippage. They also liked the dust collection and bit changing on the Triton
                    Bit splippage? Funny you mention that. I had that happen to me and just assumed it was my inexperince at installing the bit in a router not wanting to overtighten.
                    The first time I used it to dado, I had the bit slide down on me. Caught it (not literally) just in time.
                    That has not deterrred me from recommending it though, I just think one needs to pay attention to how tight the bit is and with the locking collet and single wrench that is very easy.
                    Regarding the dust collection, it is great, the hose screws right into the fitting.
                    Brian

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Referring to the same article in workbench - looks like most Triton innovations are particularly good for table use. When out of the table that router does not seem that great. If you are thinking of a smaller Triton you probably not planning on using it in a table exclusively. I would think twice.
                      I don't know but I am very happy with my 2-1/4HP Hitachi kit. Combines the best features of Bosch (ergonomics) and P-C (compatible with all P-C accesories) and is quiter than all other competitors.
                      Alex V

Comment

• dabeeler
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2006

Appreciate all of the opinions. The router will be used handheld a lot and the size of the triton concerned me.

David

Comment

• bigsteel15
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Edmonton, AB
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by dabeeler
                          Appreciate all of the opinions. The router will be used handheld a lot and the size of the triton concerned me.

David
                          I'll be honest, I never would have bought my TR001 if I hadn't got the red hot price of $199 CDN.
                          I'm waiting for the small one to go on a good sale locally.
                          Brian

Comment

• RayintheUK
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2003
                            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

A review of the new 1400W Triton, as promised, is available here. I'll also post it separately for anyone who's not been following this thread.

Ray.
                            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...