• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

air hockey table as float table?

I was out for my after lunch stroll and passed by a dumpster with an air hockey table in it. When I got back to the office the thought occurred to me that this could possibly be used as a float table for the table saw. Would this work?

And just think, when you are not making sawdust you can relax with a cold one and a quick game of air hockey.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Didn't that come as a free accessory with that BT3200 that you saw at HD????

:evilgrin:

<grinnin'duckin'bobbin'weavin'runnin'>
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The floating concept should work well as a low friction surface.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

well, in theory it should work.
        The force required to float a 50 lb sheet of MDF vs a 2 oz plastic puck is a little different.
        You could make up for it by increasing air pressure but then the sides and top and bottom of the table may blow out.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
          • Dec 2005
          • Russell, NY, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

What it might do is make the start of a downdraft sanding table. Would take a little fiddle to make it "suck" instead of "blow", but would be fun trying. All else failing u got the real start of a rig to hook up to your DC system. Wish I'd seen it, would be in my shop right now.
          RuffSawn
          Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            The force required to float a 50 lb sheet of MDF vs a 2 oz plastic puck is a little different.
            You could make up for it by increasing air pressure but then the sides and top and bottom of the table may blow out.
            MORE POWER!!!!!!
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• Thom2
              Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
              • Jan 2003
              • Stevens, PA, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              I don't often disagree with you Loring, but in this case, I have to

vacuum clamping or air flotation both operate on the same principle, PSI ... a 50lb sheet of MDF (assuming it's 3/4" thick) would be approximately 4'x4', which yields 2,304 square inches. 50lbs / 2,304 = .0217psi, so thereotically 1 PSI would be 5 times more than enough to float that sheet of MDF. Of course on something like an air hockey table, we're going to have to deal with air escaping from the uncovered holes, but the holes may very well be small enough to limit that loss and make it efficient enough.

My vote is that it'll most likely work, and I'd be real curious to know for sure or corrected if my thinking is off base.
              If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
              **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• bigsteel15
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Edmonton, AB
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Thom2

vacuum clamping or air flotation both operate on the same principle, PSI ... a 50lb sheet of MDF (assuming it's 3/4" thick) would be approximately 4'x4', which yields 2,304 square inches. 50lbs / 2,304 = .0217psi, so thereotically 1 PSI would be 5 times more than enough to float that sheet of MDF. Of course on something like an air hockey table, we're going to have to deal with air escaping from the uncovered holes, but the holes may very well be small enough to limit that loss and make it efficient enough.

My vote is that it'll most likely work, and I'd be real curious to know for sure or corrected if my thinking is off base.
                Don't wish to start a debate here, but I'm going to do something I hardly ever do and state that I think the engineer knows what he's talking about

I think the principle of your calculation is right, Thom, but you're fogetting how very small those holes in the table are and how many of them it would take to equate to 1 square inch.
                Now, if the "vessel" that is the table guts will take a 90 PSI air compressor, I think we have a favorite new accessory here at BT3 Central.
                Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• ryan.s
                  • Feb 2006
                  • So Cal
                  • Ridgid TS3650

If you're thinking of making a quick rig for testing you might want to consider using a peg board on top of box and the exhaust from a shop vac to blow air. I'm not sure if all shop vacs have it but the ridgid i just picked up has a port for the exhaust to be used as a blower.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Thom2

yeah, I thought about that. The difference is that a certain amount of airflowis required to float that sucker (either one). But the holes, if you've seen a soccer table are like very small and the holes ithe flotation table are actually fairly big (approaching 1/4" if I recall).
                    So in order to float a piece of MDF on the hockey table with the small holes, you'll have to increase the air pressure to get enough air flow.

There i go I was trying to keep a short answer.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scorrpio
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

It definitely won't work as downdraft sanding - those holes would clog instantly. But as a flotation table, it might work.

Comment

• TheRic
                        • Jun 2004
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

Add more small holes in between the current holes, and/or make the current holes larger. This should help get more air under the MDF.

I'm not sure about this, but I would think the air reguired would not just need a certain amount of pressure, but a certain amount of volume of air.

Are the tops of an Air Hockey table strong enough? I seem to remember them being made out of pressed paper, thinner than peg board.
                        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• bfrikken
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Michigan, USA.
                          • BT-3100

Hmm... I heard free air hockey table. I'd start with that, then work through any ideas. of course, then it ends up back in the garbage....What time are the Tigers on?

Comment

• RonT
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jun 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Old Craftsman

Originally posted by bigsteel15
                            Don't wish to start a debate here, but I'm going to do something I hardly ever do and state that I think the engineer knows what he's talking about

I think the principle of your calculation is right, Thom, but you're fogetting how very small those holes in the table are and how many of them it would take to equate to 1 square inch.
                            Now, if the "vessel" that is the table guts will take a 90 PSI air compressor, I think we have a favorite new accessory here at BT3 Central.
                            Bigsteel

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, if you'll allow me to put in my 2 cents.

You have an understanding of what is happening in this system, however, the size of the hole is not the issue. The work is going to take place on the plate the holes are in; the pressure on the plate created by the air volume will push up and carry the weight. The more surface area on the plate the more weight it will carry for a given PSI of imparted air as long as the air volume is there.

The PSI feeding the system is far less important than the volume is. The size and number of holes, in some combination, will adversely affect how the air then does its work on the plate. A vacuum cleaner pushing a high volume of air at a low pressure may well be enough air volume to lift the load.

Now from the standpoint of practicality, keep in mind that while air is being pushed into this system, it is also escaping at the same rate through the thin space between the floor and the rim of the hockey table. Do you see where we're going, there is going to be one massive dust bowl in the shop/garage.
                            Last edited by RonT; 07-07-2006, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Working...