• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

abrasive cutoff saw : recommendations pls

I'm thinking of getting an abrasive cutoff saw for those occasional times when I need to cut a piece of steel or cast iron. I know better than to use it with aluminum or brass.

Any of you guys own one and how do you like it? I don't need it very often maybe 1-3 times a month. So I don't necessarily need the super-duper deluxe 5000 model; then again I don't want to have to grind all cuts to get them right. Budget is ~$200, which would seem to cover most of the ones carried by the big box stores: hitachi, ridgid, ryobi, dewalt, task force, milwaukee

I'm kinda leaning towards the Ridgid, just 'cause I like their lifetime warranty. Comments, suggestions, recipes for chocolate macadamia nut brownies, all will be appreciated
    Last edited by jwaterdawg; 06-18-2006, 08:49 PM.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I have the Harbor Freight 14 inch one (whatever one normally runs 100 bucks and is often on sale for 50) and it works okay. I've used it to cut exhaust pipe mostly. The cuts are straight... but the cutting is done by burning/melting through the metal so I end up with a fair bit of thin flashing left over. That has to be filed or ground off.

I don't know if that's a problem unique to the HF saw or if any abrasive saw will suffer similar problems. I can't imagine it being HF-unique; it would seem to be a blade issue rather than a saw issue. Mine's still running a plain-vanilla HF blade.

mpc
    Last edited by mpc; 06-18-2006, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I was going to suggest an ocassional use tool might be an opportunilty for a harbor freight model or something. Under $100 if I recall and mpc is right.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Thom2
        Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
        • Jan 2003
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

I too have the HF ($50 on sale) and found that it's met my occassional needs with flying colors. It's something that I don't use very often, but sure beats the dickens out of a hacksaw when I do need it. I really can't justify outlaying any more cash than that for the occassional user.

As far as the flashing, this is gonna be the case with any abrasive cutting saw, it's just the nature of the beast. A quick pass with a grinding stone or even a file pretty much cleans it up lickity split.
        If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
        **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• jwaterdawg
          • Aug 2005
          • Washington, NC USA
          • JET

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check out the HF model. It would definitely be the most cost effective solution. Looks like HF offers four versions: two "industrial" and two "heavy duty":

Which model(s) do you guys have?

44829-2VGA
          1624-6VGA

91938-1VGA
          47003-1VGA
          Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• Stormbringer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Floral Park, NY
            • Bosch 4000

Another vote for the Harbor Freight. I think I have the first one that you list except mine is completely orange. I scored it for $49 six years ago and it has performed as it should.

Comment

• vanguard
              Established Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Brighton, MI, USA.
              • Ridgid TS2400SL

I have the Ryobi, but it's not my perferred tool for cutting metal. I switched to a harbor freight 4x6 bandsaw and much prefer it to the abrasive chopsaw. Cuts are much cleaner - both through the metal and in the work area. It's far less noisy and more precise.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37151

I think its on sale in one of the flyers for $159.99. If you do go HF for any of the tools don't forget the coupon.

Comment

• Thom2
                Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                • Jan 2003
                • Stevens, PA, USA.
                • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Stormbringer
                Another vote for the Harbor Freight. I think I have the first one that you list except mine is completely orange. I scored it for $49 six years ago and it has performed as it should.
                Same Here.
                If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

I also have the $50 HF saw. it gets the job done but it is not as nice as the more expensive units. the biggest problem I have had is the stamped sheet metal base was warped so I was getting a compound cut on every cut. I bent it back into shape. HF cutoff wheels are terrible. I threw out a 5 pack of them because they were so out of balance the saw would jump off of the table!!
                  If I were to buy another cutoff saw it would be a ryobi, Milwaukee, or craftsman professional. the Ryobi and Rigid saw are identical. Milwaukee is nice but suprizingly the craftsman professional is the nicest one I have seen. it is very well built.

a bandsaw is superior to a cutoff saw in all ways except for storage size.
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...